Ballistics backwards

Kentucky

I have asked this before but I have also stated that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I am shooting a .223 with a 53 gr. Hornady vmax @2950 FPS. I know for a fact that I have to have 13 clicks of elevation to hit at 300 yards zeroed at 100.NOW, if I in ballistics tables if I put my zero at 300 it says that I should be 4.47 inches high at 100. That is 18 clicks. Is it not possible to work the table backwards ?

I just run your data through my Strelok Pro and I get 3.8 MOA going either way you calculate it. which if you have 1/4 MOA clicks should be 15 clicks. In other words if you sight in at 100 you should dial up 15 clicks to reach zero at 300 yds. If you zero at 300 you should dial down 15 clicks to reach zero at 100 yds.

Ballistics tables (as in pre written table like maybe one done by the manufacturer) or ballistic app that you input the rifle & environmental particulars and it gives you a firing solution?
If you are using a ballistic app you have some bad data input somewhere if the numbers aren't lining up with actual drop.

Maybe I'm asking the question all wrong. My quest is to zero my rifle @100, range my target, enter the ranged target as my zero in ballistic table and see how high it tells me I should be at zero. If it tells me that the flight path would be 10 in. high at zero, then I can crank it up from that data. ????????

It could be Your inputs and your real ballistics aren't matching. Likely your fps is faster than what you are inputting

Or your scope isn't tracking true.

Maybe I'm asking the question all wrong. My quest is to zero my rifle @100, range my target, enter the ranged target as my zero in ballistic table and see how high it tells me I should be at zero. If it tells me that the flight path would be 10 in. high at zero, then I can crank it up from that data. ????????
Theoretically yes, if as Plinker states all things were input correctly and your scope is tracking 100%.
Can I ask why you are wanting to do that?

I just got back from a praire dog trip. I just have this fantasy of a one shot one kill. To range the dog, enter the distance and back track to 100 is the only way I could think of doing that. IF I could get the critters to come up at specified distance it would make life easier.

You can zero at 100 and verify your come ups at each 100 yard increments. Then divide the number of clicks by 100 and it will give you the yardage for each click on your scope. This is a easy solution if you don't have an app
If you are using an app as suggested check data inputs. Are you inputting data for distance for height of scope above bore

Thanks

Buck

That's where your mistake is....you don't change your "0". You enter the range in the distance...not ever changing your actual "0" as in this case you say you want 100 as zero. Ballistics programs work UP from your zero input.....not down back to your zero! Download STRELOK...GREAT inexpensive and accurate program

Last edited:
Theoretically yes, if as Plinker states all things were input correctly and your scope is tracking 100%.
Can I ask why you are wanting to do that?
I just got back from a praire dog trip. I just have this fantasy of a one shot one kill. To range the dog, enter the distance and back track to 100 is the only way I could think of doing that. IF I could get the critters to come up at specified distance it would make life easier.
For the simple application of shooting prairie dogs, wouldn't be easier to set the rifle up with (PBR) point blank range theory.? I'm I so old school that it's no longer being used?
Now I understand if a fellow wants all "head shots" Personally I shoot'm to what'm explode like watermelons.

I normally zero at 100 and then dial for the situation in front of me. If I'm sitting on the side of a field that is 300 yards across then I'll dial to 300. If sitting on a power line cut then I'll often times use a PBR suitable for the given cartridge/load/game. I have a cross canyon spot I glass for elk that's closest opening is 600 yards, so my scope is adjusted for that. The only closer shot will be if they come through the scrub oaks on my side, there they will be in my lap and the .460 Glock will be in my hands.

That is basically what you are doing when you use your rangefinder and then dial up.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.