Ballistics

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by Precision_Game_85, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Precision_Game_85

Precision_Game_85 Well-Known Member

I'm new in the long range bit and I'm still collecting pieces of equipment, so this is all a bit new to me. I was wondering how many of you use a PDA based program versus just using dope charts on your rifle. I'm in the process of putting specs together to have a rifle built and I think I'll be using it everywhere from the desert to higher mountains and I just don't know if I want to make seperate dope charts. What do all of you do? dope charts or PDA based ballistics program. Point me in the right direction please! Thanks.

Jerry,

2. ICANHITHIMMAN

ICANHITHIMMAN Well-Known Member

I use a drop chart on my Horus vision scope im fine with it. I got a PDA for my other rifle with adjustable turrets but it died. When I can afford it im going to get an IPOD touch 8g and run SHOOTER.

3. LRSickle

LRSickle Well-Known Member

I'm with alaskasourdough. On a couple guns I use Axim30 PDA and a balistic program. On a couple others I use a drop-chart. The guns that I have graduated stadia lines in the scopes, I use a chart that tells me what yardage each line matches.

4. Precision_Game_85

Precision_Game_85 Well-Known Member

Good point!...I was considering dope as a back up and pda if I have time..Thanks a lot!...I think I'll be doing that.

5. sscoyote

sscoyote Well-Known Member

Got a buddy who killed 4 coyotes this past year at 785, 650, 535 and 470 using his AR-10 243/87 V-Max combo. 3 were 1st-shots the last 1 we couldn't get a range for him and it took 3 shots to kill him.

He has the dope for his scope (6.5-20x VH reticle) taped to his rig, but he also uses an Ipod Touch with JBM Ballistic program downloaded onto it. Nice thing about this program is you can use different drag functions to really null out the trajectory at longer ranges. He has his std. trajectory downloaded then calls into the local airport for air density changes several times a day. Has worked great for him though 3 of these kills were with std. data using the reticle. I like to have some basic data in a Butler Creek scope cap cover so i don't have to get out of position to reference it. Just a glance up from shooting position suffices. You can also put more detailed data inside the Butler Creek Blizzard style objective cover (that cap comes apart) so it's also instantly availabe--

ocular--
    [​IMG]

objective--[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010