bullet ballistics

right now i'm shooting 55gr blitzking bullets at 3750fps. but the bullets lose momentum too fast and don't buck the wind as well. i'm shootin prairie dogs at 75-800 yards. i'm a rookie at this stuff so i need some opinions on whether i should sacrifice some velocity for a heavier, more stable bullet or stick with my current rig

good question! i am there too.missed a pa ground grizley(hog) at 600-610 with 4 shots,but i had his attention then he ran for his hole!but i'll be back!rate of twist for a 25-06 1-10 calls for a 115gr bullet,just loaded 8 each with 59.5retumbo,57h-1000,54h-4350 to test tomorrow.my 75gr v-max are going away at 360yds.i am blaming this on rate of twist?
confused.gif

My .243 Ackley has a nine inch twist too and I have been using the 95gn Berger VLD . It has a B.C. of .524 .
I get 3270 fps easily . You should get 3100 + . At 3270 it maintains 1000 foot pounds of energy to nearly 650 yds .Using 200 yd zero , windage at 750 yds in 10 mph cross wind is only 26.3 inches .
Light 55 gn pills won't come close in the wind and struggle to retain that 1000 foot pounds of energy to 250yds in a standard .243 at 3750 FPS .
My program shows your 55gn load as having 15 inches more drop and 41 inches more windage at 750 yds than my 95 VLD load .
The Berger shot a half inch 5 shot group with the first load I tried using WXR powder .
Have only made one kill with it so far but the projectile opened up very quickly so should be good on varmints at extended ranges .
Well worth a try .

[ 07-09-2004: Message edited by: Aussie ]

varmithunter243, i shot my groups and was impressed,i "was" a hot and fast man,but the 115 nbt shot 5 inside a 1.5"bull at 200yds!shot them in 50yds sets to 500yds from 250+.centered bull at 400 and in line at 500! thats it.i'm on a mission now.115's for me.as for the .243,i have that to do next so i'll be back to hear what you find.
good luck and hope it aint windy!

I don't think velocity is very important with prarie dogs. You should look more at how much it holds it's velocity and the drop and effects of wind on the bullet. It doesn't need to be traveling very fast to penetrate.

The highest BC pure varmint bullet made is the Hornady 87 gr. V-Max @ .4. That ought to get u out aways (if nothing bigger and better works), with good terminal ballistics.

there ya go! got my first 442yd confirmed pa ground grizley
grin.gif
had one at 444 in the other direction and saw dirt fly,went to the hole and had a trench and fur....close but no count.this long range stuff is awesome!i would like to see a .257 115 v-mav for varmits,so it is dust after impact.

consider the 105gr AMax, they should stabilize in your barrel twists and the much higher BC will make those long shots way easier.

I have also shot the 87gr Vmax out of a 6BR. Really liked them and they worked well out to 750yds on clays.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.