Badlands bulldozer

A properly deforming mono that retains 70% doesn't lose much momentum after impact. The pure copper bullets, that are properly designed act like a much bigger bullet after impact.

A 300g bullet retaining 30% of its weight keeps 90g. A 213g bullet retaining 70% keeps 150g. The higher vel impact of the lighter bullet creates high levels of shock.

The slower, heaviest, highest bc bullet for caliber is not a wrong choice if you are trying to set your rifle up for the longest possible shot.

Physics is what it is and it is worth doing the math.

A properly deforming mono that retains 70% doesn't lose much momentum after impact. The pure copper bullets, that are properly designed act like a much bigger bullet after impact.

A 300g bullet retaining 30% of its weight keeps 90g. A 213g bullet retaining 70% keeps 150g. The higher vel impact of the lighter bullet creates high levels of shock.

The slower, heaviest, highest bc bullet for caliber is not a wrong choice if you are trying to set your rifle up for the longest possible shot.

Physics is what it is and it is worth doing the math.

Agreed.
Berger advertises 40-85%. I don't know what percentage they retain because I never caught one. But even at 40% that's 120 grs retained. Which means 180 grs of fragmentation. That will shut down any animal very quickly. If it maintains 50% or more, I'd say its a wash in retained mass (math supports the thought :).
For clarity, this isn't a p***ing contest. I have zero doubt that higher velocity monos create a highly effective terminal path(cause I see it in my 257 bee).

Last edited:
Agreed.
Berger advertises 40-85%. I don't know what percentage they retain because I never caught one. But even at 40% that's 120 grs retained. Which means 180 grs of fragmentation. That will shut down any animal very quickly. If it maintains 50% or more, I'd say is a wash in retained mass (math supports the thought :).
For clarity, this isn't a p***ing contest. I have zero doubt that higher velocity monos create a highly effective terminal path(cause I see it in my 257 bee).
Yes sir. No ****ing from here. All I am trying to point out is there isn't a wrong answer here. My point is lighter weight pure copper bullets of proper design do not act like light weight lead core bullets of old. Controllable terminal performance at high and low vel impacts along with bullets that are capable handling high vel launches that cup and core bullets can only dream of changes the game for all but the extreme long range Hunter.

As mentioned for being able to take the longest possible shot the heavy, high B.C bullets win the day. If we're talking say sub 800 yards.....

At 800 for my 300AX the 181's at 3500 vs 215's at 3260 is really a wash on impact velocity and KE as both are about equal. With the parameters I have, at 800 drop is 11.8 vs 12.5 and wind 5 mph full value is 1.6M vs 1.2M.

No real neutering is being done going lighter.

Both have their plus and minus just what works best for you. My terrain doesn't allow for long shots....600+ so I side with the ultra fast and lighter bullet option

As mentioned for being able to take the longest possible shot the heavy, high B.C bullets win the day. If we're talking say sub 800 yards.....

At 800 for my 300AX the 181's at 3500 vs 215's at 3260 is really a wash on impact velocity and KE as both are about equal. With the parameters I have, at 800 drop is 11.8 vs 12.5 and wind 5 mph full value is 1.6M vs 1.2M.

No real neutering is being done going lighter.

Both have their plus and minus just what works best for you. My terrain doesn't allow for long shots....600+ so I side with the ultra fast and lighter bullet option

? For you. Is there any effect on barrel life with the higher velocities?
I've considered rounds that exceed 3K have a shorter barrel life (like a 257 weatherby). Is this a truth or falsehood.?

Not that I'll be able to measure it. I'm extremely over bore only thing I'm clinging on to is I'm not running them that hot. I'm 2 grain under the slightest bit of pressure with the 181's.

? For you. Is there any effect on barrel life with the higher velocities?
I've considered rounds that exceed 3K have a shorter barrel life (like a 257 weatherby). Is this a truth or falsehood.?
I think this would be difficult to tell. I think barrel life comes down more to the amount of powder burning relative to the bore dia than it is to the velif the projectile. Particularly in a hunting rifle. Let's say for argument sale that running a rifle at 3000 fps would give 20% more barrel life than running the same rifle at 3500 fps. Said rifle chambering has a typical barrel life of 2000 rounds. That would mean you would gain 400 shots with slower vel. On a hunting rifle that you shoot 50 shots per year with the life of the rifle would go from 40 years to 48 years. I think 20% is a stretch. I would be surprised if it made more than 100 shot difference in life.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.