Any experience with the Badlands Precision .338 270 grain Super Bulldozer?

I noticed you are HBN coating your 270's. Are you having to reseat any of the tips in your Bulldozers after tumbling them? Or are you using anotherWhat is your coating process?

I noticed you are HBN coating your 270's. Are you having to reseat any of the tips in your Bulldozers after tumbling them? Or are you using anotherWhat is your coating process?
Didn't have to do anything with them out of the ordinary, just tumble them like anything else after cleaning and drying them. I have them in with steel bb's in a large peanutbutter jar in my wet tumbler. I think I am going to get a vibratory tumbler specifically for bullet coating though, it isn't quite as harsh on the bullets and coats just as good, and could do larger number of bullets at a time likely.

Didn't have to do anything with them out of the ordinary, just tumble them like anything else after cleaning and drying them. I have them in with steel bb's in a large peanutbutter jar in my wet tumbler. I think I am going to get a vibratory tumbler specifically for bullet coating though, it isn't quite as harsh on the bullets and coats just as good, and could do larger number of bullets at a time likely.
Afte you using alcohol to clean your bullets, then heating before coating?

I wash them with soap and water, dry them off with a microfiber towel, put them on a clean baking dish and bake them at 180 f for about 20-30 minutes, then dump directly into my bottle with media and HBN, then tumbled for 2 hours.

Yesterday was my first shooting 270 gn Badlands Superdozer. They are targets 6 & 7 and the MagnetoSpeed printouts tell the story. I am very pleased and will be running up some loads today to shoot tomorrow. Almost got above freezing yesterday and had the range to myself! I think I should sell that photo on eBay. These are all from previously UNFIRED BRASS and even the Barnes 285s impress me. I use them to "break in" new brass.

Attachments

• I should sell this on eBay.JPG
    I should sell this on eBay.JPG
    513.1 KB · Views: 247
  • 03-16-2020 Cush ALONE1.JPG
    03-16-2020 Cush ALONE1.JPG
    694.8 KB · Views: 223
  • 03-16-2020 Cush ALONE2.JPG
    03-16-2020 Cush ALONE2.JPG
    813.6 KB · Views: 217
So in talking with George from badlands, they are going to be slightly redesigning all their bullets, they are making small changes to the ogive, pressure band and the boat tail, and they say it will make a significant improvement in the bc, so even better!! Will likely be a few months before we see it, but that will make this bullet even more appealing

Here's today's results. Check out the difference between RL33 and RL26; it's these shoots that make me think that projectiles of 300 gn and up benefit most from RL33, but between 250 and 285 grains RL26 is tops. I neglected to mention that all shots are fired from the same 338 Lapua Magnum Ackley Improved (the orthodox 40* shoulder) with a 32" Bartlein gain twist (1:9.5-1:8) barrel. Both bullets and barrel are treated with hBN. I'm thinking that 102 grains of RL26 is surely a good hunting load using the "Bad 270 Super D." More triggertime and at longer ranges will be needed; what a laborious time-consuming job... Please don't make me do this...

Attachments

• 03-19-2020 CUSH1.JPG
    03-19-2020 CUSH1.JPG
    814.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 03-19-2020 CUSH2.JPG
    03-19-2020 CUSH2.JPG
    630.2 KB · Views: 160
Just throwing my load in here:

270 SBD on 91.5 gr Retumbo @ .020" Jump
Lapua Brass
2930 fps on a 26" McGowan Barrel

I have to do another grouping test to confirm, but the last time i shot this it printed essentially zero vertical spread. It was strung out about 1" horizontal at 150m, I had a pretty strong cross wind so i think that was the cause of the horizontal.

Talked to George on the phone yesterday. He says they are also redesigning the hollow point cavity to optimize terminal performance and get better expansion at lower velocity, he said their 30 cal bullets they are redesigning are now to the point where they are getting good expansion down to almost 1600 fps, and his predictions is the .338 bullets will do even better, due to having a longer nose with a bigger portion of the bullet being thin material that will readily expand. Unfortunately, this redesigned bullet will not be available for this coming season, they want to make sure it is perfect before they send them out to people to use, so they are thinking sometime in the final quarter of the year, or maybe at shot show is when they will come out with the new designed line of long range mono hunting bullets. For reference, he said their current 270 grain .338 is good down to about 1800ish fps for solid expansion.

Talked to George on the phone yesterday. He says they are also redesigning the hollow point cavity to optimize terminal performance and get better expansion at lower velocity, he said their 30 cal bullets they are redesigning are now to the point where they are getting good expansion down to almost 1600 fps, and his predictions is the .338 bullets will do even better, due to having a longer nose with a bigger portion of the bullet being thin material that will readily expand. Unfortunately, this redesigned bullet will not be available for this coming season, they want to make sure it is perfect before they send them out to people to use, so they are thinking sometime in the final quarter of the year, or maybe at shot show is when they will come out with the new designed line of long range mono hunting bullets. For reference, he said their current 270 grain .338 is good down to about 1800ish fps for solid expansion.

I was lucky enough to see one of the new ones and compare it side by side with an old one. I'm pretty **** excited for them to release, they look like they're going to be awesome.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts