Any experience with a 270 Redding?

Andy4600

I am considering a 270 Redding for my next build. Does anyone have any experience with this round?

One of the things I would like to know is the best method for obtaining brass...and which brass would work best? I have been thinking about this build a long long time...and when I first started kicking the idea around I was going to use Remington brass. That doesn't seem to be an option anymore.

The primary purpose for the gun is hunting. I already have a 270 WIN, and wanted something similar with lighter recoil. I have also noticed that components are more plentiful in .277 right now, plus I already have some. I will set the gun up for monolithic bullets...something like the 130 gr Nosler E-tip, 129 gr Barnes LRX. I might look into some of the Hammer offerings as well. I was considering either a 1-8.5" or 1-9" twist, and maybe 22" barrel. I might go longer, but not more than 25". I was considering threading for a suppressor as well...which was why I was looking at 22".

This is the more costly of the wildcats I was considering, as the dies are harder to find and cost more when located. I think Redding is the only supplier, and it is only a basic two die combo set. I would like a better bullet seater die, something like the Forrester dies...I think I could get that made by using the reamer on the sleeve of maybe a 260 Rem die?

I was following another build few years back on another forum and it is definitely an interesting cartridge. That fellow used .243 ammo to fireform then later tried .260 ammo which he felt worked better. Velocities were far better than I expected to see in a 22" barrel. Being 08 parent case, shorter COAL, using a mono other than lightweight would eat case capacity big time. I would consider using lighter Barnes or Hammer to get velocity needed to drive a mono. You got me thinking! I have a 700SA looking for new build and I like anything .270!!!

Thanks! I think!

I think if I go this route, I would order the dies first, and a sample of brass from qual cart...unless I could find someone that would be willing to give up one round of formed brass. Then play with seating depth of the bullet to determine the most efficient COAL. I played with some numbers just looking at the cartridge dimensions and the length of a 130 gr Etip...COAL would be around 3.029" with the bullet base even with the neck junction, or at about 2.969" if the tapered part of the bullet base is past the shoulder junction. The 126 gr Hammer Hunters fall in about the same. I would consider a Wyatt extended magazine box to maximize the case capacity.
1659475948533.png

I think if I go this route, I would order the dies first, and a sample of brass from qual cart...unless I could find someone that would be willing to give up one round of formed brass. Then play with seating depth of the bullet to determine the most efficient COAL. I played with some numbers just looking at the cartridge dimensions and the length of a 130 gr Etip...COAL would be around 3.029" with the bullet base even with the neck junction, or at about 2.969" if the tapered part of the bullet base is past the shoulder junction. The 126 gr Hammer Hunters fall in about the same. I would consider a Wyatt extended magazine box to maximize the case capacity.
View attachment 384197
Very close to the 277 FURY, and Fury ammo is available in the box. The FURY shoulder is only .021" difference in Shoulder location, however something doesn't jive with the length of the Redding Brass and that very long neck. Somebody fudged somewhere between the two dimensional drawings.

I went and looked, Load data.com has load data and then I went to try and find a visual comparison and there wasn't one.

I did find these interesting:

The 270/257 Ackley and the 270-284

D729AACB-D566-4512-8DD1-E10C6D476D75.jpeg

Attachments

• 1841BE0C-559B-42CC-9B19-2DE756264EBD.jpeg
    1841BE0C-559B-42CC-9B19-2DE756264EBD.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 125
Very close to the 277 FURY, and Fury ammo is available in the box. The FURY shoulder is only .021" difference in Shoulder location, however something doesn't jive with the length of the Redding Brass and that very long neck. Somebody fudged somewhere between the two dimensional drawings.
I had never heard of this round before. Very similar indeed. Looks like Sig took the 270 Redding and added a stainless steel base to the brass to allow the higher pressures.

I'm not sure what the correct dimensions would be for the 270 Redding. That is the only drawing for it I have ever seen. I did note the long neck on the Redding, and that is something I like about the round.

This is where Bullet choice comes in. In order for you to be happy with your rifle you must choose the Bullet 1st, Cartridge and barrel choice is secondary. The dimensional height of the FURY is easily explained. The ARMY's 135 Grain Bullet was previously designed and the Case was adapted to provide the most powder room and still fit in the Generic AR10 style Magazine.

I am considering a 270 Redding for my next build. Does anyone have any experience with this round?

I built a couple of these quite a few years ago. It was nothing to get excited about and it fell off the map after the initial excitement.

If you really want to make a .270 cartridge in the .308 Win. family and keep your costs and wait time under control, I'd use the 6.5 Creedmoor case to start with. Lots of excellent brass to choose from and you can find bushing dies to modify for the .270 bullets. Yes there is some work to be done for a chamber reamer but so is the Redding.

This is a short explanation and not meant to be a treatise on making wildcat cartridges. Something for you to look into and consider. Better brass and better case design right from the factory.

Enjoy!

;)

Years ago I bought a nice little Savage 99, chambered for a 270-300 Savage wildcat. The name of the wildcat escapes me right now, but it certainly killed deer handily and made for an easy carrying hunting package. REN maybe? Hmm. I swapped it for a 50-70 rolling block, in my bigger is better days. - dan