.270 wildcat bullets?

jax338

I was wondering if anyone had used any of the wildcat bullets in .277(specifically .270 winchester)? I know that the 169.5 are being used in the allen mag, but I would think these would be a little heavy for for the win. If so what weight would probably be the best at the .270win velocity, and what is the terminal performance like with these bullets in this caliber?
Thanks

Jax338,

In my opinion, the 169.5 gr ULD RBBT is to heavy for the 270 Win except for purely paper punching if you wanted to do so.

Richard makes a great 150 gr bullet as well which I would consider the top weight for the 270 Win. I have seen the results of some of these bullets after expansion in a 270 WSM and they expanded perfectly and I suspect they would in the Win as well even though its a bit less powder.

He also offers 130 and 140 gr ULD RBBTs as well along with the same weights in Flat base bullets.

Drop him an e-mail at [email protected]

Tell him what your shooting and what you want to do with your rifle and he will recommend what will work best. He knows his stuff to so the advice he gives will work very well.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
I was wondering if anyone had used any of the wildcat bullets in .277(specifically .270 winchester)? I know that the 169.5 are being used in the allen mag, but I would think these would be a little heavy for for the win.

[/ QUOTE ]

Got 2900 fps in a 270Win w/27" bbl 168 WC prototypes. Just didn't have the twist. Probably could have made some adjustments and worked up a more accurate combination of powder, primer and seating depth but it wasn't worth it.

I sent my extra 168s (prototype of the 169.5 WC) to budlight for testing in his 270AI. Haven't heard anything yet.

I'm with Kirby. The 150 is probably the heaviest with the 140 being optimum.

Haven't tried the 140 WCs, if they are anything like the 338 252s it would be worth getting a box.

My dad was thinking about shooting the 169g ULD out of his .270 WSM. I told him it might be a tad on the slower side, and opt for the 150g ULD. He is currently shooting the 140g SST a little over 3200fps with great accuracy. He doesn't know if its worth the price (double) to switch to a Nosler AB or the Wildcat ULD's for deer anyways. I told him to try a box and just see. The accuracy should be better at longer ranges. I think as long as you could get the 150g ULD out of a 270 WSM at around 3000fps, it would be a good 800 yard deer rifle.

If he is getting 3200 fps with the 140 gr bullets, he should comfortably be able to top 3000 fps with the 150 gr ULD RBBTs. Probably push closer to 3100 fps in my opinion.

Kirby Allen(50)

From lots of chrono testing time with my 270's. R-22 and IMR 7828 can drive the Sierra 140 and 150 boat tails the fastest.

I use CCi-250 mag primers and a tall drop tube and shoot highly compressed loads.

I'm not sure what your expecting for terminal performance. I've never recovered a bullet even from side base of the neck shots on elk. I was all ready for the long range hunting and after a hard day in the mountians and heading home I had a herd of deer blocking the road. With a 6X24 i had a real hard time placing a sub 50 yard shot when all I could see was hair. The 150 sbt past through the large buck without hitting a rib on the input side and exited with a less than quarter $ size hole on the exit side even ticking a rib. Even still traveling over 3000 fps at impact it never hit anything substantial enough to cause any expansion. That was about the last time I ever tried the classic heart lung broad side shot.

I shot 3 deer with the 130g 270 wildcat bullets this year. 2 were 100 yardish shots and one was shot at 280y. All one shot kills. All pass through with good internal dammage. Accuracy is great. When load developing all my 3 shot groups went under 1". Best was just under 1/2". Basically factory Tikka rifle. I will be testing the 140g wildcat bullet next. If they shoot as well as the 130g I will use it for next years deer season.

Thanks for all of the info guys. I have contacted Richard and he gave me some really good info and advice also. Harv, do you know what the approximate B.C. is on the 130 grainers?

I have no idea what the BC is. I don't even know what my MV is. I just load for accuracy and than figure drops from range work. Sorry.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.