Badlands bulldozer

big_matt_duq

Anyone tried these on game? I'm working up loads for a 340 weatherby and considering the Badlands 240 or 250, hammer hunters, berger 250, or accubonds. Setting up the rifle for elk and bear primarily. I may order the hammers and the Badlands first to try.

I have moved about everything to the hammersz they are easy to load for and just flat out work.
+1 on the Hammer Bullets. They are now the only hunting bullets I use in 6 different cartridges.
Look at the 213 gr Hunter for your 340. I use it in my 338 Lapua with great accuracy and velocity. It totally destroyed a Kodiak Island mountain goat this past October.

I have used both in a 270-338 RUM IMP. the 126 Hammer and the 128 Badlands they both are extremely accurate and easy to work up loads for. the Hammers will run faster and foul a little less just because of design. not a lot of on game performance 1 with Hammer and 2 with Badlands. performance has been the same with full penetration and multiple exits with the petals breaking off and insides destroyed.

I have used both in a 270-338 RUM IMP. the 126 Hammer and the 128 Badlands they both are extremely accurate and easy to work up loads for. the Hammers will run faster and foul a little less just because of design. not a lot of on game performance 1 with Hammer and 2 with Badlands. performance has been the same with full penetration and multiple exits with the petals breaking off and insides destroyed.
How much faster on the hammers?

Hammers were 30-40 fps using two different powders but best accuracy was real close in velocity. Hammers at 3740 and Badlands at 3700 fps with best accuracy at 3680 for both in a 27 inch barrel

Don't neuter the 340 by using lighter bullets....300 grains is the place to be
I guess it depends on your goals. I have never understood this kind of statement. I guess the heavy slow bullet could be necessary for some cup and core bullets to survive the launch our not totally come apart on impact. The turtle and hare race is always won by the turtle, but often can't pass the hare until to far out to matter. increased impact vel on game with a bullet that can handle it, is quite spectacular. Speed is very under rated.

I'll add that in my opinion there are now bullets available that give life to the 340 wby that it never knew before. It now has the ability to be a 600y laser hitting with the authority of the .338 dia.

I'm curious as to how many actually have used heavy projectiles vs lighter weight types at the distances one would consider long range? I'm not talking academics here....

a heavier bullet with the right jacket [thinner is the operative word ] at longer distances is a much better killer than what most use in a given situation since the bullet is going a lot less in speed.

hence why the well seasoned killer of long range will use heavier bullets over lighter every time after all trajectory is simple math where wind is art painted better with higher BC. < ie heavier bullet for caliber.

I think this type of thinking is only looking at shooting long range only. I would happily shoot every animal at 100 yards if possible. My purpose for extending my range as far as possible is for the shots that come up that you cannot get closer. Extending my opportunities and maximizing my chances through expanding/honing my skillset is always my goal. I like the idea of the hammer and bulldozer bullets because I think they will perform better at 100 yards than something designed for much lower impact velocities(your thinner jacket bullets) even knowing that past a certain distance I will be paying the penalty of wind deflection. I do not see an ultralight 340 weatherby with a 3-15 leupold as my dedicated long range rifle. If I intended to need to shoot >800 yards, I will shoot my dta with the 338 lapua barrel and 300 grainers. I want this rifle to be a nice carrying elk and bear gun that if the need presents itself, a 600-800 maybe even 900+ yards shot is possible. Obviously, I will not take a shot like this until I have some time behind the gun and know I am capable of making the hit.

well if were setting limits like big matt than I'll drive my 7mm 08 with 162 ELDM @ 2700 fps from point blank to 850 and laugh all day long since I only used 40.6 grains to do it.

More than 1 way to skin a cat. I'm more of a heavy for caliber Berger guy.
But you have more recoil and it may not be necessary at close distances (less than 300).
Lighter bullets get you flatter trajectories and less recoil, but suffer from more wind drift and lose momentum faster once they make contact.
My 257 kills deer like a lightning bolt (light/fast) . My 300 mag dumps elk where they stand (slow/heavy) .

That said, for my 338 edge, I'm running 300gr accubonds and Berger's.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.