Bad Taxidermy....Solving a Problem

Doublezranch

You just shot the trophy of a lifetime. You have taken every step imaginable to properly cape and secure the hide, antlers, horn etc. until you get to the taxidermist. You tell the taxidermist the story, figure out the mounting style, position, and pay your down payment.
A year or two goes by and you get a call. It's ready. You simply floor it to the shop, walk in the door, and your heart falls to the floor. It's not at all what you expected.
There are many new members on this site that can benefit from the knowledge and most importantly our professionalism. This is one situation that can be extremely horrible and can get much worse if not handled professionally.

How have you as a customer or a taxidermist handled these situations?

Jayson

I had this exact thing happen with a 92 jnch pronghorn. Owner wasn 't in the shop at the time, so I paid for it and confirmed with the employee the the shop offered a "satifaction garrentee". So I took it home.
First thing I wanted to do was to confirm that it wasn't just me being anal or picky, so I asked other seasoned hunters what they thought of the taxidermy.
I also posted some pics on this forum and asked for opinions.
When I determined that it wasn't me, I took it back to the taxidermist and and asked him to redo it. He wasn't happy..... but found a new quality cap and redid the mount.

Because I had gotten A LOT of other opinons I could state with confidence that the mount was not acceptable.
In the end he finally admitted the "it wasn't some of his best work".
Problem was he had gotten so busy and had hired several new helpers (no taxidermy experience). He actually had done very little work on the first mount. It was primarily done by inexperience and ill equiped helpers.

Having done fish taxidermy for 20 years....you better have a complete work order to refer....and you better do your best work on each and every piece leaving your shop...picture for reference work too....
As a client....better look at pieces hanging in the shop....not only new mounts...but older as well.....check the seams in the back of the neck of game animals for puckering or popped threads....inside ears for finish work..inside the nose...eyes....positions for ears, eyes, antlers, lips.....is the hair lying correctly.....is it dried out from tanning...
So much to look over...but work is expensive these days.....you want perfect....better cough up some serious $$$.....if the taxidermist screws up....its his butt and rep gonna be hurt.....
Often people ask for names of reference....doesnt mean yours will be done as well as theirs....
Take care of critters you plan to have mounted.....

These are the very things I also look for when dropping off game. You have to take the time to go through examples of the work that's been done. A reputable taxidermist wants you too look at their work. They want you to ask questions. Some will even have a book of examples and awards they have received at shows. A great taxidermist will ask for the story, how the animal was positioned before or during the stalk or kill. They want to capture the moment so it stays with the animal forever.

Taxidermy is a lot like gunsmithing, you have very mechanical guys who just want apply their skill, then you have the artist who can bring a moment or expression out, the best is to look for both in the same person which is rare or look for how they manage their weaker side, if you see a person coming from only one side with no recognition and handling of their weekn side red flags should pop.

....Problem was he had gotten so busy and had hired several new helpers (no taxidermy experience). He actually had done very little work on the first mount. It was primarily done by inexperience and ill equiped helpers......

A problem in lots of shops a person gets awards etc., business grows exponentially and hires someone else. Or an apprentice doing the work starts their own business. Figure out this in advance if possible.

Just takes the joy out of stuff.

You just shot the trophy of a lifetime. You have taken every step imaginable to properly cape and secure the hide, antlers, horn etc. until you get to the taxidermist. You tell the taxidermist the story, figure out the mounting style, position, and pay your down payment.
A year or two goes by and you get a call. It's ready. You simply floor it to the shop, walk in the door, and your heart falls to the floor. It's not at all what you expected.
There are many new members on this site that can benefit from the knowledge and most importantly our professionalism. This is one situation that can be extremely horrible and can get much worse if not handled professionally.

How have you as a customer or a taxidermist handled these situations?

Jayson
Was this taxidermist in Gillette?

I luckily have had excellent taxidermists do all my work. This was a thread to generate solutions and ideas.

I have more than 25 whitetails, 2 bears and a mule deer in a 14x28 room. The first thing in choosing a taxidermist is to pay attention to the fine details. Nose detail is the first thing I notice. They should look like the animal can breath through it and not full of putty. The next thing I look for is the detail added to the form. This is something they have to do and only the really good ones do it, but adding wrinkles in the actual hide.

Here is a picture of a whitetail bow kill in the final stages that were sent to me by my taxidermist. Notice the wrinkles in his neck/shoulder junction. His nose isn't finished in this picture, but finished this buck looks like he could still take a breath.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Attachments

• 4E875C52-7804-400F-9978-ACB75D4AD89D.jpeg
    4E875C52-7804-400F-9978-ACB75D4AD89D.jpeg
    128.1 KB · Views: 31
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.