Taxidermy

Aussie_hunter

Got a few questions about taxidermying ( unsure if that's even a word ) but what's the process and cost of doing a whitetail deer head in the US I know prices differ from state to state and size of the deer head, how long do you have before the trophies to late to taxidermy?

$475-$575. If it's tanned you want to keep it frozen after hydrating as well, and you want to get as much air out as you can before freezing. They can last years in the freezer tanned and frozen. Freezer burn should be avoided. The worst is a tanned hide left out just hanging or laying around. Once its hydrated for taxidermy, it can tear apart very easily. Have a bear thats been tanned and left out for 2 years and I'm hoping it is still mountable, but may fall apart. Salted hides can last a fair amount of time if properly salted and dried, kept away from moisture. Have a lion hide salted and stiff as a board that needs to get sent to the tannery, shot it in March and its still in the garage waiting for me to get around to it and it will still be fine. Wet and freeze a tanned hide gives you the longest freezer life. At least thats what the taxidermist I hunt and guide with tells me.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.