Taxidermy???

BRChic

I'm looking for some opinions... sort of taking a poll I guess. Here's the deal- my husband is starting out in the gunsmithing business. I was thinking of starting my own business which has absolutely nothing to do with gunsmithing, but just had a brain fart!!!!! What if I opened up my own taxidermy shop alongside my husband's shop??? Coming from what I'm assuming is a mostly male reading audience, what are your ideas and opinions on this??

(Last day of antlerless and still nothing!!!!)

Ha ha...what kind of pics are you needing to see? Honestly guys, I value your opinions.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

There is a rash of humor flowing across the board. Hunting seasons must be over /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Here's my tho'ts.

If you're willing to pay the price to become the best that you can be, to overcome all of the challenges that you encounter and be savvy enough to develop your talents in the most beneficial direction and your husband does the same, you'll out do him hands down. Really...

Pay the price, do the work, the money will come, if that's what you want. If you just want to make money it'll be a little more difficult.

Hubby'll make stuff that kills 'em. You'll bring back to life and the hunters experience will live on forever and be shareable(if that's a word).

It will take way much more commitment than a brain fart, really! Its like anything else you desire to excell at. You gotta really want to do it!

BRChic
taxidermy is a wonderful trade! but like roy said you have to pay your dues! there is so much tranning involved in taxidermy, and the practical expirence need to produce a high quality mount is something every prospective taxidermist should seriously look at before jumping in! There are way to many so called taxidermists with little to no expirence out there doing game for very cheap prices, and rushing it out the door with no care in what it looks like! I hope you do decide to become a taxidermist ! but please do all you future clients a favor and learn first, then compete so you can really learn!!! then start your business!

Your thoughts and opinions are helping me a lot!! I want to put out there, though- I am more than aware of the hard work, dedication, ability to learn, and the WANTING to learn the trade, let alone the cost to pay the price of learning from the best. I am all for that and ready to do what it takes. This is a love of mine, not just a desire for money. My goal is not to out-do my hubby either, I just thought it would be nice if we had 2 successful business that kind of worked together to compliment each other. Does that make sense? I've been in and out of schooling, changing my major about 4 times already, and thought I finally figured out what I wanted to do with myself- then I thought of this...hmmmmm....
Definitely something to think about at night instead of counting the sheep, huh? Sure as hell won't be counting the does I wacked this season! Hahahahahahaahah!!
Has ANYONE had any good luck this season with Whitetail?
Back to the subject, have any of you heard anything about the Missouri Taxidermy Institute???

taxidermy schools are good places to start, but you can do so much more for the money! and time. there is so much info out there on the basics, that you can get videos, and mannuals to learn the basics! most new mannuals from breakthrough will walk you through step by step process. learn the basics from these then once you have a grasp of them then spend your money on specialized tranning! example joe meader for deer, jan van hossen for mammals cally morris for birds. if you want anymore info send me an e mail i can give you all the details

[email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.