Taxidermy??

MachV

Anybody ever try to do a shoulder mount?
Finaly got a wallhanger whitetail but this late in the season all the local taxidermist are booked 2 years out and are not taking any more. Gotta figure out something to do with the head as it aint getting any freasher. Can I just skin it out and cut rack off skull? Whats the next best thing to dropping it off @ the taxidermist?

Mate cape it out making shaw to roll the lips and eyelids well . Pay special attention to the nose area and then salt the christ out of it. Place it layed out on a peice of angled board so the juices can drain away and leave it in a cool positon over night .
In the morning get up and clean all the salt off the cape and then re-salt it again. Repeat this again and then roll up the cape so as 1 side of it is open allowing any more moisture from the cape to drain away and place it in a heshon bag .
Hang the bag in a cool but dry place and it will last for years in this state.

A mate of mine had a leopard skin in this state 8 yrs befor having it mounted not a problem.

JAWZ

a deer hide has to be thinned or else when tanned it and start to dry on the mount it will shrink and pull around the mouth, nose, and eyes.

if you salt the cape you are commited. A salted cape won't freeze anymore. If you just plaque the antlers you can get a cape later and have a shoulder mount out of it. Or else like what was said cape it out with a seven or v cut at the antlers and follow the spine back. You then can freeze it or continue on caping. Some say a hide if good for a couple of months, but in my experience I have mounted them almost a year in the freezer. If you can grab the hide and pull out alot of hair the cape is shot and cut the antlers off and get a new cape. If you want to do it yourself rhinehart has some videos out there and some home tanning supplies. They are pretty good forms with preset eyes.

just a few pics of my hobby:

006.jpg

005.jpg

007.jpg

as you can see when I mounted this one I hadn't had the finishing of the nose down yet, but I am still learning, around here you pay around $575 for a shoulder mount It will cost you if you do it yourself for about $200 that is with a professional tan. I don't do it much anymore because it started to become a job and I already have one I spend 60hrs a week at. If you have anymore questions send me a pm and I will share the limited knowledge I have.

Brent

Last edited:
The only one who is retarded is the one juvenile enough to have a sig line like that.Cape it or have the taxidermist cape it(they can do it in about 20 min) and freeze it as suggested.There are plenty of taxidermist around who dont have a 2 year waiting period,6-8 months is the norm around here.You can also buy a cape if you decide to have it mounted on down the road some day.Lets see a pic of this beast!

finding a good taxidermist:

another thing look at alot of mounts to become familar with a good mount(local sporting good store, friends etc). Places to look eyes, nose, mouth and around the antlers. Liquitan or tanning themselves is cheaper and alot tougher. Ask to see some mounts not pictures(you can hide alot on a picture) chances are if they aren't real busy there might be a reason. About a year wait is common. The perfect mount in my opinion is if it looks like it is alive.

The only one who is retarded is the one juvenile enough to have a sig line like that.Cape it or have the taxidermist cape it(they can do it in about 20 min) and freeze it as suggested.There are plenty of taxidermist around who dont have a 2 year waiting period,6-8 months is the norm around here.You can also buy a cape if you decide to have it mounted on down the road some day.Lets see a pic of this beast!
Wernt beat enough as a child where ya Nonya, tred lightly my people skills are a little lacking too!

Thanks to those actualy trying to help!! I never had any interest in a shoulder mount before mainly due to cost and the poor quality of a lot of mounts. The guys I would pay to have it done are booked up and if its just gonna get put on a mold I figure I may as well do it. I thought of a euro mount but unfortunatly the first shot went right in his mouth and did a lot of internal damage not to mention makeing skinning out the head a little more challangeing.
Trueth be known I'd rather this buck would have been heading to my Dad rather than away.....@ 70 Dad is starting to slow down a little.
Some good advice given already and if anybody can add any constructive advice I'd be gratefull, got the day off so I'll try to get the hide off the skull and go from there.
Not a monster - just a good solid buck taken on a memerable hunt with Dad and brother.
cjg.jpg

First, CONGRATS on that buck!
Second..........get that hide OFF from mid should, skinned up to the neck, without cutting into the hide if at all possible, b ut dont freak if you do, cuts are fixable.

Not sure when you shot it but it needs to come off ASAP for BEST mount.

DO NOT skin the head unless YOU KNOW HOW.

Get it all in a heavy plastic bag, get all the air out you can (vacuum sweeter works good, ......then put it in ANOTHER bag and do the same thing.

FREEZE it as is and look for a good taxidermist. I personally would call my instructor JOE MEDER in Solon Iowa if you want TOP GRADE work but he has LOTS to do. EXPECT to wait a year for a GOOD taxidermist to do it right.

Shoulder mount IS the way to go. If I hadnt moved and was set up Id do it for you.

Again. Hopefully its still ok but there are ways to set the hair if its been dead awhile. Skin it, freeze it........today.

Congrats again
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.