Bad primer?

The gray ring between primer pocket and primer makes me wonder. Carbon would be black. Did you seal the primer in place? Defect in the primer pocket? Perhaps bad primer. Any other primers from that lot do the same?

If it etched the bolt face, your rifle is not ruined, and will continue to shoot fine.

There is nothing wrong with the load, brass or primer pocket, that is a fault in the primer cup, nothing more, nothing less.
The soot left behind, often looks grey in photos, it's normal. Look at a spent primer that has been fired just by itself. The soot looks grey.

Cheers.
gun)

No its carbon around the radius. No sealer. It was a wlrm primer. I think I'm going to use the fed 215m. Kind of sad that it damaged my rifle. Anyone had issues with the winchester primers?

Are you sure it damaged the bolt? If so, why would you continue shooting it if you thought it was damaged? I had a primer completely disintegrate and my rifle was fine. I didn't know that at the time, so I stopped shooting it immediately. The smith pulled it back down and magnafluxed it and it was fine. But I wasn't about to risk further potential damage to the gun, or my face.

Winchester has a bunch of bad primers recently and if you contact them they will take care of you. There was a big thread about this over on 24hrcampfire.

I etched the crap out of my 40X before I realized what was going on. I developed a load with the older silver color Winchester primers. Bought a batch of the new brass color one and everything went to crap.

Good luck

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.