Backpack - Day, weapon, <$350

CleanShot

Hello

I know this question has been asked in various forms but I wanted to narrow down the question a bit to target my needs. I'm off to a hunt with an outfitter in NM this December. I wanted to get my pack from how to take it to the range and practice shooting off of it. This particular hunt sounds like pretty much a base camp and then just need a day pack for getting around for the stalks. But I'd like to buy something I can use in the future so if there is room for flexibility that's surely a positive.

The bags I looked at so far are:
* Tenzing TZ2200
* Banlands 2200
* Eberlestock X2
* Mystery Ranch Dragon Slayer

I looked at Kifaru and a few others but I'd like to set my budget at a $350 with all accessories ie rain covers, scabbards, etc. Additionally I'd like a pack that's compatible with bows and rifles. Ideally I'd like to be able to pack meat out in the pack as well.

Here's my analysis on each so far:
* Tenzing TZ2200 - best value, no meat shelf, seems to just got the job done but will lead to an eventual replacement
* Badlands 2200 - $300 seems to be pretty much all in with a meat shelf
* Eberlestock X2 - needs a bow sling or scabbard and rain cover which adds another $50 or so to the base price. No meat shelf.
* Mystery Ranch Dragon Slayer - I love the way this pack opens and the access to the interior but after calling MR they told me it won't really handle packing meat out and so I'd need to go with their Longbow which throws me out of my budget because it doesn't have a rain cover nor any waist pockets at that price.

Any opinions or other bags I should look at?

Thanks
Sam

I've got an older 2200 and absolutely love it. Very comfortable to wear and the back zipper panel is extremely handy to access stuff in your pack (I hardly ever use the main opening). I haven't packed anything more than a blind stool with it but I've seen pics of a guy packing out the entire rear quarter of a moose with one.

Before you buy, find a place (or places) that have the packs in stock and try them on and try to get them to let you put some weight in them so you can see how they feel.

Check out the Eberlestock X-1 Euro model w/scabbard for $229. Makes an excellent day pack with more room for optics and extra clothes, etc. I bought one to use in place of my J-34 when not carrying a larger load and I am well pleased with it's set-up. A bargain at this price for quality.

I used an older Dana Design, internal frame pack for a long time. You can find steals on them through Craigslist and Ebay.

I had an X2 and didn't care for the scabbard. It was a bit awkward and I prefer the rifle to be centered. I sold that and just got the Eberlestock Team Elk. I have only used it for one 4 day hunt but I really like. Has a good amount of room and the scabbard centered in the middle of the pack is very nice. Very happy with it at this point. $329

I have a kuiu ultra 3000. Great pack. It is a bit noisy in heavy timber, but it packs great

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.