best backpack

I run Nimrod modular pack. They make packs in usa for firefighters and models for hunters. They where first for rifle and bow carry years ago. I also have the alum, pack frame that I have used on elk and moose. I carry meat duffle on my longer hunts and always take load on way out. I carry bow and rifle opposite so I have packs for each and double bow hooks on that pack for purpose. I also have QD buckles on the shoulder D rings for bino carry.I still hunt alot grizz area so I do not use the rifle carry they have, I am a front carry military style,hand free for climbing and glassing.

US Alice pack, large with Tactical Tailor Mod's straps, hip pad. Mod III with whatever modular pockets you want. Carried one in every terrain from Artic to desert for 25yrs with max load under fire or with 70lb elk hinds in it. Never ripped, stripped nuthin only jungle rain has cleaned it.

dont buy a $400 pack from some terd outfit that never seen anything but the back yard sidewalk doggie park.

RLTW
Smag~

What aebhunter said, Mystery Ranch packs are as good as they get. They are pricey but it will probably be the last pack I ever buy. I've had my crew cab for 3 years now and have packed out 20 plus bulls and deer for myself and friends. Also use it to haul my camp in and out during bow season. They are heavy but it feels great whether its empty or has 80lbs in it. The customer service is second to none as well. Check them out.

My old Dana Designs Terraplane is heavy at 7.5 lbs but roomy enough for all my camping gear and "deer gear". Plus, being made of Cordura, it's **** tough.

And now that I see how nice the Kifaru Universal Gun bearer is I'll likely add that to carry my Browning A-Bolt.

Alright guys one more question. I see lots of packs seem to carry the gun barrel down. Is this ever a problem. Last thing I want is to slip or fall and have my crown land on a rock. I'm ok with the gun getting beat up a bit but messing up the crown could get ugly. Or is it something I don't really have to worry about. Thanks again

Alright guys one more question. I see lots of packs seem to carry the gun barrel down. Is this ever a problem. Last thing I want is to slip or fall and have my crown land on a rock. I'm ok with the gun getting beat up a bit but messing up the crown could get ugly. Or is it something I don't really have to worry about. Thanks again

I prefer the Stone Glacier packs, very well built and lightweight(i know seems impossible to have both) but they are a great product! As to you question, i also have spent a fair amount of time with eberlestock(gun bbl pointed down) packs, and the scabbard on those packs is really quite protective, i never really worried at all about the crown of my rifle being damaged.

I prefer the Stone Glacier packs, very well built and lightweight(i know seems impossible to have both) but they are a great product! As to you question, i also have spent a fair amount of time with eberlestock(gun bbl pointed down) packs, and the scabbard on those packs is really quite protective, i never really worried at all about the crown of my rifle being damaged.

Thanks I figured as much or they would change it but wanted to know for sure thanks.

I had a Eberlestock and as mentioned the scabbord does a fine job, however the pack is too heavy. I used mine for one week this past year in Wyoming and sold it as soon as I got home.

Good decision Rick. Eberlestock packs need to cut their weight by at least 30%.

Better cloth (Dyneema, for ex.) and thinner, narrower pack straps and smaller buckles is how lightweight packs are made for backpacking and they hold up just fine.
I've packed, drug and hauled my REI Cruise UL 60 backpack through the abrasive rocks of the dessert southwest for 5 years and it still looks nearly new.

Eberlestock tactical packs can remain heavy and "Marine proof" but hunters don't need that military ultra durability they demand for constant daily use.

This my everyday pack,put in 70 days with it this fall.I front carry,this my heavier rifle,I hang binos off shoulder d's and QD's.Obscured by rifle but on waist band,vectronix,5 cartridge covered,gps,spot for radio.This spring and had buckle on frame cuz was feeling lucky for a last day bear,saw 5 but nothing I wanted.I have a FHF case that buckle on bino for heavy or snowy days.

Attachments

• P5310044.jpg
    P5310044.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 155
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts