backpack pics

bubba41

could you guys post pics of your packs fully loaded sleeping bag and all!! also has anyone used wilderness packs out of oregon???

Was just wanting to see different ways people packs their gear . It will also help me decide which pack to buy! ME AND THE WIFE ARE PLANNING A BACKPACK HUNT THIS UP COMING YEAR

Was just wanting to see different ways people packs their gear . It will also help me decide which pack to buy! ME AND THE WIFE ARE PLANNING A BACKPACK HUNT THIS UP COMING YEAR

Well I would suggest taking a close look at the Kuiu pro icon series packs.
I have gone through 22 different packs including custom made ones.
These packs are far and above the rest of the field.
Also remember.
Ounces mean pounds and pounds mean pain.
My 2 cents

202311cacc4cdb3f0063f0f37a3425b8.jpg

Mystery ranch 6000 internal frame

Kifaru Bikini Frame with DT2 bag. This probably has 95 lbs in/on it with the 13 lb. 338 AX.

Attachments

• Jon.jpg
    Jon.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 145
I have a good pack horse and would much rather backpack hunt if I'm not in too far. Hunting with horses necessarily takes a great deal of time away from hunting. When I go in a ways and set up basecamp for elk hunting by backpack, I spend from well before light to well after dark getting too/from hunting area and hunting, much of which would otherwise be dealt with caring for a horse. The way the Kifaru Gunbearer holds my two LR rifles (.338 EDGE is the other one), you hardly notice the weight of the rifle and it is much quicker to get into action for a quick shot, if that comes up, than if your rifle was slung over your shoulder. It's easier to control the way the Gunbearer hold it too. A 13lb rifle with 29" barrel and brake is no problem. BTW, that rifle has killed 9 big game critters in the 5 seasons I've had it ranging anywhere from a short 350 yard shot to 1151 yard elk this year and I don't live in a state known for it's hunting. Something I'm doing must be working...:)

I was studying the picture closely to see how you had your rifle secured. Thank you for explaining as well. I will definitely check out the Gunbearer.

You are correct about the work it takes for horses. I learned first-hand this year on a Colorado elk trip taking horses up the mountain on my own. That said, you have to weigh the work required vs. the benefit of having them to pack out meat. Either way it is work, which is why those of us who love backpack hunting like the burn in our lungs at the top.

... BTW, that rifle has killed 9 big game critters in the 5 seasons I've had it ranging anywhere from a short 350 yard shot to 1151 yard elk this year and I don't live in a state known for it's hunting. Something I'm doing must be working...:)

I'd agree that you're doing something right. I live out in CO and it looks like we have similar hunting styles and similar gear. +1 on the Kifaru backpack with the gunbearer. Great setup.

Kuiu Ultra 6000 loaded down, My Kifaru T2 is my go to pack but for the price and weight I had to give the Kuiu Ultra a run and it performed very well.

Attachments

• 20140927_114721.jpg
    20140927_114721.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 147
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.