ATV advice

I had a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 700. It was built like a tank. I was hard on it. Hunted with it in a few states. Never ha a problem with it. I rolled it down a mtn. in Wy.. totaled it. We had to drag it out with friends Can Am. After that o bought a 2009 Polaris 800 Razor. Loved it. Never had a problem with it up to 2014 when I sold it.

hello all. Looking for used ATV advice. Not really in the market to buy a brand new ATV. Any recommendations on a good quality used ATV brand. My buddies all have Can Am and Polaris. Looking for something that won't break the bank. I know the new ones all have power steering heated grips EFI ect. Just want something that will handle most hunting and recreation jobs. Maybe in the $3000 - $4000 range???? Seems to be large range of prices on similarly equipped used brands of ATV. I understand this is a bit subjective but thx in advance for your help

Pete

Like most, I have my favorite ATV and many good reasons for it.

I have owned ATVs since there conception. I have owned many different brands and have been around all brands and types from three wheeler's to two wheel drive fore wheeler's fore wheel drive and the newer side by sides and seen there strong points and weak points.

I have seen the smallest engines and some of the biggest and came to the conclusion that depending on need and use there is a needed limit.

There is no perfect ATV for everything, Just one that fills your needs.
Use and terrain should be your first consideration. If you hunt the swamps one will do better than all the rest. If you hunt the flat lands, then another type May be a better choice. If you hunt the mountains and have steep grades to deal with then a third type will have many advantages.

Over the years I have found that a fore wheel drive ATV does the best job for all terrain for me. also an engine from 300 cc's to 500 cc's will do a great job and any more than 500 cc's is not necessary unless you have a heavy side by side. also a manual transmission is best for climbing control (You can pick the correct gear and speed for safe use) Variable speed transmissions that shifting is not required are great for side by sides and flat terrain, but in the mountains where seep grades are normal they don,t have the control needed.

There was mention of power steering and if it is designed correctly, it is just an assist and if it goes out the ATV can still be driven conventionally.

Also 2 cycles are more powerful/faster than 4 cycles of the same CC's but at high altitudes fuel mixtures can give trouble with some 2 cycles engines.

As far as brands go I have settled on the Honda's for their dependability and low maintenance. So that is my choice of all brands. There are faster, and more expensive brands, but dependability and usability is the main reason I prefer them to all others.

Just My Opinion

J E CUSTOM

Good post @J E Custom

I fully agree.

I've been working and playing on ATV's since the mid 80's. Still have a TRX250 my grandfather bought new in 1983. Great for getting around the farm.

Working in the bush I've bounced around on a lot of different rides - my favorites for pure utility have been the Honda Foremans. Powerful, dependable and easy to get unstuck (cause they are light). Not real fast though.

Anything bigger than 500cc is better suited to logging roads, FSR's and going fast. For cutlines and true off-road I need front and rear locking diffs, manual shift, and a low enough mass that I can lift either end of it.

Honda would get my vote. I have a TRX300 4wd I bought new in 95. Never any big money spent. Only routine maintenance (tires, brakes, oil change). Carb rebuild is as deep as I have needed to get in the engine. I will be purchasing another Honda with power steering for the Mrs. in the near future.

hello all. Looking for used ATV advice. Not really in the market to buy a brand new ATV. Any recommendations on a good quality used ATV brand. My buddies all have Can Am and Polaris. Looking for something that won't break the bank. I know the new ones all have power steering heated grips EFI ect. Just want something that will handle most hunting and recreation jobs. Maybe in the $3000 - $4000 range???? Seems to be large range of prices on similarly equipped used brands of ATV. I understand this is a bit subjective but thx in advance for your help

Pete
Stay away from used Can Am....parts are 60-70% higher than other makes. I have a 13 year old Artic Cat bought new that has cost me 2 new batteries...and that's all!

If you are willing to spend $4000 why not just by new arctic cat. I bought a 1 year carry over for $5599 arctic cat 2016 XR700xt. Awesome suspension at that time was the largest travel 11in I would recommend that

I had a buddy that bought a brand new Artic Cat 500 or 550 (when they first came out back around 2001/2002), and it spent more time in the shop than at his house. He ended up selling it because it was so unreliable.

Pete
I have a 2009 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 and it is a bad *** machine. Has a winch and a snow plow. That sucker will go anywhere. Has EFI, but no powersteering, honestly never had an ATV with powersteering so I dont know what I am missing.

You can get a good one or lemon with any brand. But your odds increase substantially for getting a reliable one if you stick with Honda or Yamaha. Kawasaki and Suzuki run a close 2nd. The rest fall in line behind these 4. There is a reason you can get good deals on Polaris. Dealers love them because of all the money they make on repair work.

Pete
Mine is a 2009 Yamaha 700 Grizzly with power steering and I love it I also have a Can Am without power steering its ok but prefer the 700 Grizzly. Power steering is a must. Saves your arms and doesn't grab the ruts.

Nothing but Honda for me. I have a 300 4X4 1996 model. Still use it almost daily. Just stay out of deep water with whatever you get.

I run ATV's daily in our line of work . I have owned Polaris , bombardier, canam, Kawasaki, Suzuki , arctic cat, Yamaha and Honda . I would never have another polaris (they didn't hold up) , bom, canam, Arctic , dealerships are a bit limited here and parts availability and price are both a big problem . Suzuki and Kawasaki are middle of the road for me. We do all of the work here at my shop on everything ( except ecm programming if that is dealer only , thank goodness that has not been needed ....yet) I have a Honda rincon 650 that has 7500-8500 miles on it and I have done nothing but service and valve adjustment. The Honda and Yamaha's are the only ones I keep longer durations because NOTHING ever goes wrong with them . One thing that is a huge deal for hunting is having low range . My Honda does not so now the Yamaha is what goes on the hunting trips . Newer big Honda's may have it now , I'm not sure . Stick with a Yamaha or Honda and you will be happy you did . Just my opinion backed by a 20 year long side by side atv shootout .
I have the Honda Rincon 600 and you're right, no low end. I use for hunting and working around the house including plowing. Never had an issue. My last quad was the Honda Rubicon which has outstanding low end and is a real work horse. Honda's are extremely reliable and I would not purchase anything else. Several trips to the Hatfield McCoy trips in WV. Polaris was the machine most often in the shop for repairs and every Artic Cat I ever saw on the trails was for sale. Top heavy and tippy. My brother has Kawasaki Brut Force 750 and has had to make costly repairs. Much faster then the Honda's but I need performance. These are utility quads, not racers. For your needs, I would recommend a Honda Rubicon or Forman. Agree with the above, I only have spent money on service and having the valves adjusted once which is recommended after break in. Best of luck.

I have a 2011 Yamaha Grizzly, and it has served my purposes very well. It is EFI which means reliable starts and running at higher altitudes where I hunt Elk. It is a 700 which is great for towing a trailer behind it, for setting up camp and hauling out meat. It also has power steering which really helps when running trails made up of large rocks and boulders from the volcanic structure of the area. One thing that isn't mentioned are the trail width requirements in some of the western states, making sure you get a vehicle that meets those requirements is the first priority.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.