ATV advice

I too mechanic in the power sports industry. Polaris single handed keeps my lights on! Bushings, bearings and ball joints fail quickly on the Atv's and SxS's.

If your a no frills kind of guy that just needs a good runner look for a fourtrax 300 (1988-2000) rancher 350 (2000-2006) foreman 400's & 450's (1995-2003)

I've personally serviced foot shift ranchers with over 34k miles on them still running strong on stock tip ends!

If you want a little nicer then look into the foreman or rubicon 500's.

Steer clear of the 2001-2004 foreman rubicon 500's they had a bad run of Honda matic Transmission's that failed often and cost big $$$$ to fix.

Electric shift Honda's are reliable as long as they haven't been sunk or mud rode a lot. If you decide to go with a ES model invest in a good battery tender and steer clear of the mud holes!

I live in Alaska and 4-wheelers are a way of like up here. Hondas are known for their longevity and generally refuse to die. All the other brands are runners up .... but everybody has their favorite. Once you experience power steering you will prob never go back, esp for long and or rough rides. EFI is esp nice for starting in cold weather. Here in Alaska it is not advisable to not take your marchine on the trail unless you have a winch. Good luck in finding what you are looking for.
Very good advise. I might add that their EFI machines really suck gas compared to the older carbed ones. However the trade off is instant starting in cold weather. Worth it to me.

hello all. Looking for used ATV advice. Not really in the market to buy a brand new ATV. Any recommendations on a good quality used ATV brand. My buddies all have Can Am and Polaris. Looking for something that won't break the bank. I know the new ones all have power steering heated grips EFI ect. Just want something that will handle most hunting and recreation jobs. Maybe in the $3000 - $4000 range???? Seems to be large range of prices on similarly equipped used brands of ATV. I understand this is a bit subjective but thx in advance for your help

Pete
I've been driving Honda's since they made TRIKES! I've owned the Foreman 500 since they started making them and I've never left one in the bush they've always got me home (I hunt northern Alberta down to -22C ) not the prettiest girl at the dance but IMHO the most reliable

I don't have any experience other than with Honda's, all positive, and mainly Ranchers. I recently just sold my 2007, 4x4 ES, EFI for $100 more than I paid for it 10 years ago. Only had 104 hours and 550-ish. Was used only for duck hunting. To say the least, Honda's hold their value.

Have a 1998 Yamaha Grizzly and a 2008 Rhino SxS. Had a 2002 and 2007 Grizzly, so have only had Yamahas. Great machines, tons of power regardless of size, very reliable, reasonable cost for repairs/mtc. Repairs and mtc not cheap on any ATV/UTV. Only brand I have seen friends have lots of problems with are old 10yrs or longer Polaris and all Arctic Cats. Have many hunting buddies with Polaris Rangers that are 5 or so yrs old to brand new and they are pretty good. Pricey.

I picked up two used 2000 honda ranchers 2 years ago for 2k each and they have been perfect. No problems and run great. I hunt in thick woods in east TX and there perfect to fit between tight trails and trees, some of the bigger atv's are hard to maneuver in some areas. I haul out 200-300lb hogs all the time and pack lots of equipment and corn on them when I maintenance my lease. I've used the hell out of them and have no complaints. Honda gets my vote

Whichever brand you end up with I would hold out for efi. If you don't ride regularly you will end up cleaning a carb on a non efi bike. In my area you can get big bore (400-700 cc) machines 10-15 years old for $3500-$4500. I own a Suzuki king quad 700, it's a beast, more than enough for anything I've encountered. Good luck with your purchase.

I have an '07 Suzuki 700 King Quad. I offroad and plow with it. Only thing I've done to it was replace tires and a starter relay. Can't compare it to any other brand as I've never owned another brand. Never needed to. This one keeps on working. Looks like the day I brought it home, too. Oh, Ya. I switched from steel winch cable to polyester winch cable just because it seemed cool.

hello all. Looking for used ATV advice. Not really in the market to buy a brand new ATV. Any recommendations on a good quality used ATV brand. My buddies all have Can Am and Polaris. Looking for something that won't break the bank. I know the new ones all have power steering heated grips EFI ect. Just want something that will handle most hunting and recreation jobs. Maybe in the $3000 - $4000 range???? Seems to be large range of prices on similarly equipped used brands of ATV. I understand this is a bit subjective but thx in advance for your help

Pete
I just completed what your are starting. I have found out that there are 2 companies you can bank on if you are looking for a 4 wheeler: Honda and Suzuki. Suzuki was the 1st maker of 4 wheelers. now, for the larger ATV's I have no knowledge. I just got a 2016 QUADKING 400 BY Suzuki. it was a one owner and I talked to the people before making an offer and did buy it. You may do as I did and find one that does not have all the amenities you prefer to have on one so look carefully and a stripped down version may be there for you. you can put things on it as you need. mine did not have a winch, but I found a good deal and it was installed with a remote control. I found it on a local site called OfferUp, but I also know that Craigs list will also have some things. I do know that this is not the best time of the year to buy one, because it is the season for them to be bought and sold at a premium dollar. off season is the best. hope you find what you want. I have been in the field with mine at the deer lease and the woods at home and have enjoyed it greatly. it will be helpful for me since I am 68 y/o so I can continue for some years of hunting. it will also reduce the worry of my wife and family members because I usually go by myself often due to my schedule. good luck

I bought a used 2003 grizzly 660 over 10 years ago and sold my 350 neon to my son. I wanted the high and low range for hauling firewood ( 4 -6 cords a year), plowing snow and dragging a box blade and doing a fair amount of trail riding. It has held up well and has required basic maintenance. The bryon is still l giving good service to my son and granddaughters as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts