ATV advice

Thx to all for the insightful comments! So for most of you, is no power steering a deal breaker?? Any years of the Honda to stay away from. For those that mentioned they own or work at a shop, how many engine hours or miles is pushing it.

I say all of them are good when buying them new how ever you are going the used route which is great but you really have to watch out for what you buy. It all depends on how well the machine was cared for. Like my machines never take long to sell because people know how I treat my stuff. If the older machines have been cared for with proper maintance done at the right times all the top four will last a long time. For me P/S is a must only because I've had it for the past 7 years, it's almost like buying a snowmobile with reverse once you have it your not going back ever. Good luck on your ATV, just make sure to have someone with you that knows what to look for when buying a used ATV, like look in the air box to see how clean it is, jack it up and wiggle the wheels to check wheel bearings, check the radiator to see if it's caked with mud or other things, and ask lots of questions about it if the owner is hiding something you should be able to figure it out by a good inspection.

thats very key,I usually dont accept bikes or utvs over 10 years old and it is my shops policy but I do service bikes that are 25 to 30 years old that have had good maintenance and they are all hondas ;) big reds, and trx 300, trx 250. and I have no doubt with the proper maintenance the newest models will go 30 years also

You in the right direction having raced then professionally and did service work for more than a decade. If you want the best ride and best performing machine Polaris all the way. That being said I have not and won't own one. Most people won't be racing them or taking them on long trips. So that being said Honda is hard to beat. Absolutely no need for power steering. Sac up it not that hard to turn.
If you can track down a clean older Honda 300 foretraxs or 350 rancher around 2000-2005 ish they are bullet proof. My dad has about 8 of them and they are the best machines out for durability. As for hours I'd look over the rest of the machine. Check axle boots and such things. You can usually tell a good deal by how beat up the outside is. If it's oils changed high hours mean nothing. Remember you can get a low hours and never had the oil changed in worse shape than a high hours well maintained unit.

Mud, so you would or would not take a polaris for free...? Polaris isn't one of the top four?? Doubt that...Hmmm
Would not, unless I was allowed to immediately sell it/trade it for a Can-Am.

The new ones may be better than the old ones, but the old ones (pre-2010) were junk, IMO. Seen WAY too many with habitual problems.

Would not, unless I was allowed to immediately sell it/trade it for a Can-Am.

The new ones may be better than the old ones, but the old ones (pre-2010) were junk, IMO. Seen WAY too many with habitual problems.
the new ones are way better than the old ones lol but still you are tied to the dealerships on the electric wrench diagnostics and programming of ECM's. and you will be limited to be able to use a non dealer shop for that, and I fully believe that private shops are your best friends if they are established!

I just sent a 2016 sportsman 850 home with customer and he has to take it to the dealership for a ecm replacement because I cant program the new ecm ( Polaris dealer protection) and it is going to cost him thru the booty, i can get the ecm at dealer but I cant program it without the electric wrench which I cant get without being a dealer :(

I just sent a 2016 sportsman 850 home with customer and he has to take it to the dealership for a ecm replacement because I cant program the new ecm ( Polaris dealer protection) and it is going to cost him thru the booty, i can get the ecm at dealer but I cant program it without the electric wrench which I cant get without being a dealer :(
Can you do Can-Am ECM's? Shoot me a PM if so, so we don't side-track this thread.

I must add it's not that I do t dislike Polaris I actually raced sled for them for a few years and they are my favorite sled. I also own a rzr and those are top of the line side by sides. Just with atvs you have more durable options. The most durable I've ever seen are the early 2000 Honda 300 and 350 4x4.

Another vote for Big Red. I practically grew up on an '87 Fourtrax 250. Not a spot on it without cracked plastic, homemade muffler, electric start never worked, and the rear axle tube had to be welded back together from one too many jumps but it always ran. If a couple pre-teen boys couldn't kill it it would likely survive nuclear war.

Any years of the Honda to stay away from.

Nope, just Pulyerass

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.