ATV advice

View attachment 137784 I have to second the Honda 420 Rancher....have a 2007 that has been nothing less than awesome to use for hauling trailer of firewood, pulling Dr grader.....among other stuff......only been on one trail ride....still original tires and runs perfect....lots of miles pushing snowplow.....non power steering......
Tough to beat....
From what i hear....polaris are decent machines...and other say lots of dealers to buy from.....absolutely....but try to get and Polaris dealer to work on it.....good luck.....
Stick with Honda and Nonethanol gas....it will last forever.....
I second honda. Mine is 2002 rancher es 350. Had to replace electronic shift 10 yes ago. Other than that just routine maintenance. Never let me down in heavy terrain. Also agree with non-ethanol gas. Eats away the jet in carberator.

Honda quads start with the 420 rancher, then the 500 foreman, both with straight axel, monoshock, and foot shift. Polaris entry level is 450 (actually 500 cc),33 hoarse power, then 570 44 hoarse power. Independent suspension and a higher tow rating . Polaris uses a strut for its front shock which is not as strong as an a-arm design. When you move to a SP frame with Polaris you get a heavier frame and double a-arms in front. Every manufacture offers an entry level quad and sell (at a higher price) there premium units. With price being a main concern, Polaris offers an end of the model year sale in August and September with savings high enough to rival used ATV prices. I sell ALL brands of power sports in Michigan and sell more Polaris than ALL other brands combined. With consistent rebates they offer a lot for the money. I personally use a Honda Forman power steering 500cc with plow and winch on my 700+ acre farm.

My last ATV was a 2005 Polaris Sportsman 500 after running it for a few years the insurance ran out for the year so I parked it for the winter.

A few weeks later a very good friend asked me to take him deer hunting for the weekend so without insurance on the machine we headed out to a ranch I had permission to hunt we were behind locked gates so I figured I'll get by without insurance.

It was cold appr 1' of snow on the ground Saturday we road around saw a few decent buck but my buddy was holding out so we did not shoot but several times over the day the electrical on the ATV just shut down but it would start up right away again.

Next morning as we road up a steep hill to get to where we were to hunt the electrical completely died but this time it did not come back so we ended up walking back to the truck/camper/trailer when we drove up I could see smoke as we came back to the quad.

There was my quad melted to the ground from what I understand from talking to the dealership the electronic control module shorted out resulting in the fire.

Polaris wouldn't do anything for me not even a break on buying another machine = I'll never own a Polaris again.

since then I've been riding a 2012 dual sport Kawasaki KLX250s but lately have been looking at getting another quad I was thinking Honda or Yamaha.

hello all. Looking for used ATV advice. Not really in the market to buy a brand new ATV. Any recommendations on a good quality used ATV brand. My buddies all have Can Am and Polaris. Looking for something that won't break the bank. I know the new ones all have power steering heated grips EFI ect. Just want something that will handle most hunting and recreation jobs. Maybe in the $3000 - $4000 range???? Seems to be large range of prices on similarly equipped used brands of ATV. I understand this is a bit subjective but thx in advance for your help

Pete
I have hunted off an ATV here in Colorado for many years have owned a Can-Am, Kawasaki Brute Force 750, Polaris 800 but the one I have kept and is the best for me is a Yamaha Grizzly 700 best power to weight, running gear and reliability even if you buy a little older and get the Grizzly 660 hands down best on the market! Had a brand new Can-Am, it was in the shop more than in the field! I grew up on motocross and I'm extremely hard on my off road vehicles so I know what lasts! As for the accessories, do it yourself it's easy! I've installed heated grips, throttle and heated seat on my Grizzly also has a GMRS radio in the front box, two sets of lights interchangeable front to rear warm winch and lift kit with oversized tires.

hello all. Looking for used ATV advice. Not really in the market to buy a brand new ATV. Any recommendations on a good quality used ATV brand. My buddies all have Can Am and Polaris. Looking for something that won't break the bank. I know the new ones all have power steering heated grips EFI ect. Just want something that will handle most hunting and recreation jobs. Maybe in the $3000 - $4000 range???? Seems to be large range of prices on similarly equipped used brands of ATV. I understand this is a bit subjective but thx in advance for your help

Pete

Sounds like some Mud got into someone's brain. Polaris has never left me stranded. Get a Ranger or General and you won't have to get another quad later for the wife. I've owned 5 different Polaris rigs, 2 Rangers and 3 quads. Arizona is tough on machines. I Wouldn't buy anything else.

All I can tell you is that both of the groups I ride with and the one I hunt with banned Polaris from or deep back country excursions. We just plain and simple got tired of hauling broke down Polaris quads out 20 to 100 miles. It was so bad just before the ban that we had a special built trailer to load them on to make the pull out easier. Problem was it only fit one quad and we were often towing more than one.

We have had a very occasional break we couldn't fix on trail on other quads but we no longer need the special trailer. A tow out is now one in 15 trips, where it was virtually every trip with the Polarises in the group..

The point about the pull start backup is excellent advice, would never own a quad that doesn't have it.

I've grown up around Polaris quads. They've been good machines as long as you take care of them. We only use them for hunting and dont abuse them. Some of my cousins bought Can am while they were still made in Canada and they seem ok but parts are more expensive than Polaris. I know of one guy that bought one after they went to Mexico and it was nothing but problems.

Pete
I found a 2001 Honda foreman 450s just wanted reliability and decent fuel economy this seemed to fit the bill works great and won't leave me strAndre no complaints

Just to ask the question, what kind of terrain do you hunt in? I love riding the Montana mountains, so EFI is a must....sometimes we are at 3,500ft and on the same day can be over 10,000ft. Independent rear suspension is a must when going up boulder fields and now that I have a machine that has power steering, I would never go back (the end of the 70 mile ride day is way better on the shoulders and arms) If you deal with steep areas either going up or down, low range and 4 wheel drive is very important too. For me and the mountain riding we do, a great set of ITP Mudlite XTs are the only way to go. They wear like iron and grip excellent. I have a 2016 850 Can Am Outlander XT and love it. Before that I had a 2006 Can Am 800 Outlander XT (put over 5000 mile on it) and only changed a stater and a rear drive shaft u joint. Have friends who ride all different brands and have good luck if they are equipped with the above options. My mechanic buddy did tell me that Polaris is what keeps his lights on too, so I never even considered giving one a try. The Rotax engines in the two Can Am units I owned were excellent and with the winch (also a must in the mountains) can pull an Elk out whole. Like previously noted by others, find one with a great maintenance record and you should be OK. Good luck!

My brother in law has a Polaris and you can find him by the smell of 2 cycle oil burning in the air.It is an older one so maybe that's the problem.
He had it serviced last year and asked if they can do something about the smell as he hunts and hasn't killed anything in many years and the guy told him he works at a Polaris dealership but he owns a Honda.
I would ask if they got the 2 cycle smell fix before I buy one.
I am in the market too and just passed on an older Polaris that ran well but you could see smoke in the air when the guy rode it.He was gone so fast that I did not get the smell on 2 cycle burn.
I will look at Honda,Yamaha,Kawasaki and Suzuki,4 cycle.
Just my 2 cents and I have been wrong in the past.
Old Rooster

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.