ATV advice

P
hello all. Looking for used ATV advice. Not really in the market to buy a brand new ATV. Any recommendations on a good quality used ATV brand. My buddies all have Can Am and Polaris. Looking for something that won't break the bank. I know the new ones all have power steering heated grips EFI ect. Just want something that will handle most hunting and recreation jobs. Maybe in the $3000 - $4000 range???? Seems to be large range of prices on similarly equipped used brands of ATV. I understand this is a bit subjective but thx in advance for your help

Pete
Polaris, Polaris, Polaris. I'm on my second one, lots of Idaho hunting hours/miles. Mine have been rugged, and ultra dependable. We use them to get to our hunting areas then it's a foot show after that. Nice to come back to those machines at the end of the day. Especially with an elk quarter on your back! All my hunting partners are Polaris fans as well. I can't speak to used ones. Mine have both been new. Secret to dependability is timely and proper maintenance. If buying a used one ask for maintenance records and any other work done on the machine you are interested in.

Well, we've had a few Polaris machines and haven't had one problem or any of these issues. And I agree it has much to do with how you treat and maintain them. Plus another good rule is to purchase some new or second hand that will be fit for purpose. So like the 570 HD - means heavy duty, you take a light duty under powered quad and beat it you'll end up with junk and problems - no matter what the brand. An entry level low Power machine will not ever pass muster as a hard working farm or high country Alpine hunting machine.

Als
P

Polaris, Polaris, Polaris. I'm on my second one, lots of Idaho hunting hours/miles. Mine have been rugged, and ultra dependable. We use them to get to our hunting areas then it's a foot show after that. Nice to come back to those machines at the end of the day. Especially with an elk quarter on your back! All my hunting partners are Polaris fans as well. I can't speak to used ones. Mine have both been new. Secret to dependability is timely and proper maintenance. If buying a used one ask for maintenance records and any other work done on the machine you are interested in.
Also, if you get a newer machine, don't worry about a "smell" and two cycle. Those are "back in the day" ATV's. Personally, if I was interested in a used one, I'd want less than 100 hours on it. But that's IMHO only.

I run a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI. I use it all the time. I drive it down the hwy here in MT its licensed, i use it off road the majority of the time. It has been a reliable ATV. I even use it to plow snow in the winter. My buddy has two Polaris ATVs that are 4 and 5 years older than mine and a newer Canam. The Canam is falling apart already. As long as you keep your oil fresh and grease all the suspension parts it will last you years. Parts are easy to find and cheaper if you use Ebay or Amazon than going to the dealer.

Sounds like some Mud got into someone's brain. Polaris has never left me stranded. Get a Ranger or General and you won't have to get another quad later for the wife. I've owned 5 different Polaris rigs, 2 Rangers and 3 quads. Arizona is tough on machines. I Wouldn't buy anything else.
No, just watched plenty of them crap-out under moderate stress conditions. You don't have to like or accept my opinion, but it's based on my experiences with them. I know 2 busted RZR 800's within a 5 mile radius of my house, right now...Both have front diff issues. Both owners wish they had bought a Can-Am...One is selling his Poo-laris to buy a Can-Am Defender HD10 right now. ;)

Thx to all for the insightful comments! So for most of you, is no power steering a deal breaker?? Any years of the Honda to stay away from. For those that mentioned they own or work at a shop, how many engine hours or miles is pushing it.
Never had power steering on either of my Polaris Machines. BUT after taking a demo ride the other day, when I get a new one, it will have power steering. My first Polaris was a 500 Sportsman, my current one is a 550.

I ride an 850 Polaris Touring quad. My wife and I had our previous quads stolen on the way back from a northern hunt and I couldn't afford two new ones at the time so I bought a used two-up bike, just until we could afford a new quad for my wife. She bought her usual Yamaha 700 Grizzly with power steering a year later. We have owned four Yamahas and they were all excellent. The first one I bought for her was a mistake. I got sucked in by a salesman who talked me into a 500 without a low range. It meant she had to take a run at the steepest grades and that is a bit dangerous. When power steering came out in "08 I quickly traded it for a 700 with low range, power steering and EFI. Now she can just walk the machine over all the tough stuff. At sixty-seven, and being a small person, it is safer. The Japanese quads all run in the 600 to 650 dry weight category while the North American quads go a hundred or more pounds over that, and it adds some difficulties. If you don't load them on your truck or trailer perfectly it is pretty hard to shift them by hand. My 850 when rigged for hunting probably goes close to 900 pounds. We always run aftermarket six ply, usually mud tires on our quads because a sharp rock or stick can cut the sidewalls of stock tires. You don't carry a spare and it's tough to jam enough patching compound into a sliced sidewall, (but we've done it). Many friends use Hondas and love them, the favourite of my buddies who are all quad crazy hunters is the Yamaha, and Suzuki and Kawasaki are both good options. My Polaris is by far the best riding quad of the bunch but I would never buy another one. Their combination of engine braking and four wheeling system is suited for experienced riders only and, even then, on muddy or icy downslopes you have to be on your toes to keep the back wheels from passing you. Good luck on your choice.

For that price range, what I found available was rather beat, to be honest, unless you were to run across somebody willing to give you a deal on a newer/good shape machine. I ended up with a Honda Pioneer 500 and love it whether on the plains or mountains, but here's the deal... I paid about $10k for this and found a nice 2001 Ford F150 with low miles and ran perfectly, for $3300! Just sayin.:eek:

My buddies use Rhino, Rager, Polaris, Honda all with great results. The side by side don't go where smaller ones will, but are great with chainsaws, deer and such. My Honda starts with year old gasoline and the battery stays charged for months without attention. Pulls itself from nose down in ditch at 60 degrees down. I run in swamps and woodlands.

My advice would be, based on reliability is:

1st - Yamaha
2nd - Honda (close 2nd)
3rd - Almost everything else
Last - Polaris (sorry Polaris owners)

My dad has two Polaris'. Each of them have been to the shop more than my last four Yamahas combined. No joke.

I've had a Yamaha Wolverine, Grizzly, Rhino, Wolverine, and I currently have four Yamaha motocross bikes. My Username is because I had a Yamaha Rhino, not because I hunt them.

I would recommend a Yamaha Grizzly with power steering. It's the Cadillac of rides, great design, lots of power and very reliable.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts