As Time Goes By .....(flaming)

Kirby,

Please reread the original post.

Quote from you.
"To say long range hunting is anywhere near as bad as most other sites is not true at all. "

Your right, it isn't true, because I "DID" "NOT" say that. What I said was the bickering was a constant over the years. I made no comparison to any other site. Not even ones started by ex-members of this one.

I realize that you're snowed in today and that's a little frustrating. I'm snowed in, also. Of course, it keeps everyone else from moving north.

Take Care.

wyojeepeer,

I'm sure Kirby will let us know, but I do not believe he said:
"To say long range hunting is anywhere near as bad as most other sites is not true at all. "
because of what you said, though the expression can be used based on what somebody else had already said, it can also be used based on what some one else may or would say.
I could be wrong, we'll find out. :)

Kirby, that was brilliant! I haven't laughed that hard since Paris Hilton was on Letterman! The 308 fans are gonna come looking for you now!

GG,

I guess it has to do with one's present mood. I did not laught untill u said u laughed hard. Then my mood changed. That's good.
Do you remember that signature you used to have, something about what matters is not how big you are or how hard you hit, what matters is how far you can accurately shoot?
I think Kirby is not worried! :D

GG,

I guess it has to do with one's present mood. I did not laught untill u said u laughed hard. Then my mood changed. That's good.
Do you remember that signature you used to have, something about what matters is not how big you are or how hard you hit, what matters is how far you can accurately shoot?
I think Kirby is not worried! :D

Yeah, I don't think Kirby's got too much to worry about. By the time the 308 guy gets in range, some form of Allen mag could have settled the debate about four zipcodes before that!

My only question is can I use that phrase nextime a 308 junkie gets all excited? Ballistic **** ant. I just love it!

I like the site, and enjoy reading friendly debate

I really like the site, I'm not much of a poster but am an avid reader. Got really sick a year ago and found the website while in bed for a week. I think that week i read long range hurnting for ten plus hrs a day for 6 days striaght. I think i read every post by kirby, his wildcats absolutely fascinate me. Found what I feel is the best run boards on the net, with by far the best content.

Read a few of the aformentioned "****ing matches" pretty mild from some of the sites. As long as it keeps civil I think its no biggy len does a wonderful job with axeing it if it gets uncivil.

As far as the flaming goes, as long as people post on computers there will be flaming, its a sad fact of human nature. It will be really intersting to see how long the political forum lasts on here.

I graduate college in a few months and plan to start assembling a little more complete long range arsenal, and look foreward to the advice that I will glean from all the posters on the site.

-richard the comfisherman

Everyone has a right to their opinion, that is for sure. That said, when you post your opinion on a public forum like this or any of the others, everyone has a right to respond to your opinion.

It is much easier to offer varying opinions on LRH then any other site I have been on. Are there some heated debates, certainly. Have some gotten out of hand, a few yes.

Does it happen often for the number of members on here and the number of topics being discussed, very rarely in fact do things get much over the good healthy debate stage.

As to the 308 Win, before those that love the round start having chest pains, certainly it will function well within its performance limits, that there is the problem. The 308 is a 1/2 mile chambering. Will it go farther certainly but thats not its strong performance area.

I have gotten into many heated debates about this and all that is needed is to compare the 308 to nothing more then its own offspring to see how anemic it is ballistically. In every case, 243, 260, 7mm08, all will match or outperform the 308 ballistically and do so with less recoil. Facts are facts, ballistically, the 308 is a fat little puppy that does not run well for a long distance. LOL

Kirby Allen(50)

Hi,

First off, let me say my user name is Wyojeepeer, and my original long range hunting member number is #16. I have been on this site for a long time, and while I don't post much, I do read a lot of what I consider interesting things here. And, a lot of times, some that aren't.

I have seen a lot of different members come and go.

This was originally a mostly Remington gun site, and I got "flamed" a couple of times for recommending a Savage as a basic/entry level long range gun or build. This was years ago. It's not the same now.
(Hee,hee) ....I ain't gonna say I told ya so! .....Like heck I ain't!!!!

When I was invited here by Len to his "new" web site, the original members had some of the most amazing backgrounds, and could discuss some of the most arcane scientific stuff I had never heard of. Most of which I didn't understand.

Now, it's many years later. A lot of members have come and gone. And I'm still learning scientifical stuff that I don't understand.

About the only things that have been constant, besides Len, is the Flaming, bickering, fighting, name calling, and ****ing on flat rocks. (and the insinuated size comparisons).

How many members have left this site just because they got tired of it?

As a retired Army SFC, and a believer in the Constitution, I don't have to agree, or even like what you have to say. But I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Hey, Len. I wore out my OD green socks. Is "tactical black" OK? (even though they are turning grey?)

Enough of a soapbox.
C'ya, John.

I think it's like that most, if not all, forums, but remember -

THAT'S FAMILY FOR YA!:eek:

Like it or not, we end up being a family, because all we've got is each other.:)

As for the socks, you can wear for all we care:rolleyes:, it's what's in them that counts:D, socks count for nothing.:(

Compared to other sites, this is one of, if not the most polite and helpful. Many other sites seem populated by ignorant people looking for fights.

I live in the long range limited east (TN) and shoot **** ant, fat puppy rounds but if (when) I move back out west, I will join the bruised shoulder, bloody nose, dollar per shot club.

This site has made me a MUCH better shooter and I'm thankful for everyones help.

The few disagreements I have seen on this board wouldn't even rate as a kindergarten cat fight compared to the slanderous personal assaults that regularly go on the other forums. Long Range hunting is the most tolerant to new ideas and the members offer the most consistent good information I have ever seen. I have my pet peeve calibers and rifles. I feel the same about the 45ACP in the self defense world as the 308 rates in my book as a 1 mile cartridge. On some of the other mentioned boards if you dare mention you would take a shot at any animal over 300 yards you are quickly branded as unethical. Give a compliment to the technologically advanced 40S&W and you will start a caliber war! This board never goes there. It's in our rules. I love it here.

I used to consider anything over 200 yards as long range. Now I'm quite comfortable shooting to 600 yards with a high degree of certainty I can make a good shot on the first shot with my factory built rifle thanks to what I have learned by reading on this board. Someday I will own a bona fide 1000-1200 yard custom built by Kirby or Shawn.

A lot of the writing by our board members is worthy of publication. We get it here for free.

This board is FAN-friggin-TABULUOS!!!

I've been a member of the board about a year and in that time I have learned more from all-ya-all about shooting than the previous ten years combined. I used to think I knew a lot about guns; now I know that I know nothing. Actually I have deleted many of the gun links from my favorites since I spend ALL my time here.

What I have learned in my time here:
Neat scientific terms like corealis effect etc.
300 yards is NOT a long shot.
My dad is correct that an elk at 700 yards isn't hard if you've practiced.
I was correct that shooters in America (the world, sorry downunder and others) are generally a great group of people.

I used to think I was a pretty good communicator through writing, but I have been amazed (and humbled) at the ability of MANY on this board to clearly explain things through their use of words.

One problem with a forum such as the internet is there is really no way to show attitude or mood. One person could mean an inflection one way and someone else could read the inflection another. Without face-to-face feedback and non-verbal clues, the full meaning of someones words are sometimes unclear.

Another point; some people have abrasive personalities. NOT MEAN, RUDE, OR ANYTHING ELSE, just blunt. Many good doctors, surgeons and mechanics I have known have the personality of a cardboard box. My wife has had "issues" with co-workers because of this. She is GREAT at her job but sometimes her job is to tell co-workers or the boss "NO" you can't do that. People don't like being told they are wrong. Oh well, they also aren't paid to be happy. THIS IS IN NO WAY MEANT TOWARD ANYONE, just a point to ponder.

What I have NOT learned from this forum:
How to spel.
How to make my wife "internalize" the value of my guns and stuff. She is absolutly fabulouse about it, but still rolls her eyes at me every time I look at toys like a mistress.
And finally, how to finance all of the (bad/good) habits I have learned from all-ya-all!!!

To the members of longrangehunting.com...I salute you!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS

This has been an interesting read, I believe it shows some real appreciation for Len and his site.

Now, about mister Kirby, calling the most amazing cartridge in the history of the planet a "ballistic **** ant...". And then Half-a-Can-of Powder-Per-Shot Grouper jumps right in and agrees with that phrase... Someone has to standup for the little fella, where the hell is Dave King when I need him!!!

You guys fail to understand that a 650 yard shot with a .308 Win. is easily equal in difficulty to a 1200 yard shot with a rifle whose barrel reaches closer to the target because it is thirty something inches long, burns enough powder each shot to refill several .308 cases and hurls bullets that resemble javelins more than the perfect shape of the 175 HPBT! Plus when I let a .308 Win. go the ground does not shake, I don't get a mouthfull of dried grass and gopher turds and my ear drums don't stretch and vibrate for several seconds.

First, I don't know much about ballistics. Second, I do not know what a **** ant is... BUT, I do believe this might have negative connotations towards the most bestest cartridge in the history of the civilized world, plus the whole planet earth as I previously pointed out! Just because the .308 Win. might not have enough poof to ignite some powder charges used by the monster-boomers, does not mean anyone should hold its name in vain!

Not sure if this is the kind of flaming that turned Wyo off, hope not but this is very serious to me. I cannot stand by and let this kind of trash-talk take place about - what was I talking about? I seemed to have forgot already dammit! I've got a couple of thousand .308 cases to reload, when I remember I will get back to you guys. Now whatever it was, no more, OK Kirby!!!

Good thing this is only a computer screen, right guys. Thanks to everybody for making this a fun place to share real info and get a few grins.

Ok! You guys asked for it really you did!

50 you shouldnt talk down to the poor lil 308 it does have its place.....somewhere??? who knows where that is??? Kiddin with you guys!

There is only one other site I have ever been to with this class of people in it and I will name it. Its classicbroncos.com a comepletely different subject but the only site that has the same class as us folk.

Every ****in match I have seen in here the opinions are at least based on fact...."FACT" interesting word we all understand that my fact may not be fact when looked at by someone else and vise versa....or whats is believed to be fact by either. Yea its also an opinion based on what?

All that outa the way I know this as FACT you wanna know about long range hunting (no matter how far that is) YOU COME HERE!

I also cannot think of one person on here I wouldnt at least give a chance to meet, provide assistance to or have over for dinner at least once! We are all different have different thoughts on different subjects, but alot of that is determined by where we came from where we are and past experience....on hunting, shooting, ATV's, radios, high fences, you name it.

ALL I GOT TO SAY IS "MERRY CHRISTMAS, AND LETS ALL HAVE A BETTER NEXT YEAR!

Last edited:
This is a great place and the worst place to be!!!! I was told about this site by Hired Gun came over here learned a lot.

Then there is this guy here that goes by the handle Fiftydriver seem this is the bad part about this site. This guy well he is a master at getting into my savings!!!! He is on my third build in about a year and a half… I believe he relies on me to pay his bills.

... Facts are facts, ballistically, the 308 is a fat little puppy that does not run well for a long distance. LOL

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, I don't laugh out loud very often. But that line deserves to be posted on the Humor forum!

Merry Christmas all!

AJ

ps: After seeing Kirby's description of the 308, I think I like it more. Afterall, we tend to like things that are similar to ourselves!

Joecool,

Sounds like his partner some guy named "Kirby" man he can sure snuggle up in ya pocket! But the bad part about that is you just wanna send him more I get #1 from him tommorrow and already thinking about #2......even got a check in the mail to him now! Can you believe this guy? Just makes you wanna give him money hand over fist! I even added him the X-MAS card list can you believe that?

Gotta say Ill have the finest rifle Ive ever owned tommorrow! And bet your butt it wont be the last time he builds me one!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.