Are high powered scopes really necessary for hunting?

I like to have as much magnification as possible. For one thing, I'm able to clearly identify what I'm shooting at. The lanes that I hunt in don't really allow one to bino the deer or pig and then grab the rifle. Secondly, I'm able to turn the magnification down to whatever I need it to be. Same priciple as a condom. I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

This will likely offend many on this topic, and yes I'm perhaps paranoid, but, if I find a hunter looking at me or my direction, using a rifle scope for target identification.... I will assume that he may,intend" to fire.....I will treat the situation as such! Every hunting season people are accidentally shot, some thru pure ignorance, and some thru their mind seeing a trophy that doesn't exist. I'd rather be neither! If, shooting game at extended ranges is the primary goal, a quality spotting scope seems to be a logical piece of needed equipment! memtb

Please grow up. No one here has mentioned using a rifle scope for searching. Give it a rest.

My favorite hunting scope that I don't dial is my Swarovski z5 3-18 44. My plan for my next purchase is March 3-24. Necessary no, but love having the option

Until I started shooting custom made rifles I used Leopold VX-3 scopes on all my rifles and still use a few today however, when Nightforce came out manufactured close to where I live part of the year, my direction changed immediately and NXS' started on my next 5 rifles all with 50mm objective lens in 5.5x22x50. My preference would have been a 4x20x50 back then because ffp scopes reticles are diminished at lower powers. I have recently purchased a 7x35x56 ATACR to join the 2 mile club but it is too much scope for casual big game hunting. The finite crosshairs are perfect for shooting 1K yds plus but I don't recommend it for anything less. I also have (2) 6.5 Creedmoors with one sporting a NXS-R1 and the other Vortex Viper 4x16x50 which I carry most often in the field. I have taken all North American big game with this combination but I now have a medical condition that has resulted in partial paralysis of my lower extremities and will have to hunt from a stationary setting so will probably be moving to the higher powered Nightforce. I must admit it is a hell of a dilemma to be in. Far better than the older days when I was deciding between a Bushnell Banner and a Tasco Trophy Hunter!

My favorite hunting scope that I don't dial is my Swarovski z5 3-18 44. My plan for my next purchase is March 3-24. Necessary no, but love having the option
The March just seems like a good combination of many things; good glass, reliable adjustments, reticle selection & focal plane, magnification zoom, and weight. If I could afford it most of my rifles would wear one.

I am an admitted optics snob. I would take a high quality 3-15×50 over a cheap 6-24×50 any day.

For most big game hunting, 15x on the top end is plenty for the smaller medium game at any hunting distance. But a 3x minimum is about max for still hunting where shots can be 20-50 yards on sudden appearing game.

A few of the best magnification options for a hunting scope (in my opinion):
3-15×50
3-18×50
3-20×50
3-24×52

The 3x on the low end is the key isn't it? You can go up as high as you want and with the magnification ranges in these scopes today 15-24x on the top end nice to have.

So I haven't bothered to read the 7 pages of replies on this thread. I'll give you my input. I've only been hunting big game with a firearm for the past 14 years. I have a 4-16x50 on my current hunting rifle. I used 8 and 12 power on my big game kills this year. Outside of that I've used 3,4 and 12. This is on kills between 0 and 440. I haven't had the opportunity to exceed that range.

You can't hit what you can't see. You can dial the scope down if you want but you cant go to 18, 20 or 24 with a 16X max. I mostly shoot targets and Varmints. I don't want to block out the target with a thick crosshair, so zooming in helps. One of the guys back there said on many days you can't even use more than 18 power due to mirage, and I find that is true, absolutely, but 20 to 24 sure helps in load testing at 100 to 200 yards. Big game guys are all good to go with 10 to 16 but the bigger scopes are not even that much bigger, sometimes not at all , it depends on the manufacturer and style. a 6.5-20X Leupold x 40mm was great for many years. I think the huge objectives are not necessary if the glass is good. the 50 may help bring in some light at that 30 minute period at dawn and dusk. In the bright sun there is no real advantage IF THE GLASS is DECENT. Big Objectives can help compensate for crappy coatings a little. Super high magnifications like 32X to 40X usually need 56 mm OBJ to get a decent exit pupil. Most scopes now are 50mm because that's what shooters demanded and they are at the max of just not being too cumbersome. Anything is fine on a long range Varmint rifle. Though you may need to raise the comb on the stock. IMHO.

I'm on the other end . My favorite scope on my 6.5 Creedmoor was a 1-4×24 30 mm tube . 2nd fp. The reticle on it is almost Perfect. Had no problem on game out to 400 yards on 4 power and 1 power is great in thick brush.
My 338 wears a 1-4 ×24 30 mm tube also.
Yes, if I had the money I would probably have NightForce M8s on all my hunting rifles.
But then I don't have the opportunities to hunt at truly long range by and large and the animals I hunt can usually be snuck up on.
My longest game shot that I've taken was with a fixed 3 power Leupold and it was over 500 yards. Called the shot , made the shot.
I do think my 338 might end up with a 3-15 Steiner or 4-16 ATACR on it . Or even a 3-18 IOR Valdada. But that will have to wait till after I get my house built.
Truth be told tho. I still get a kick out of taking an animal with iron sights on my 375s either Williams peep with the aperture disk thrown away or express sights on my 375 Ruger. But irons are best for younger eyes than mine .

I was always a 4-12/16 or 5-20/25 guy but I came across a great deal on a 2.5-10 and was so impressed I bought another. Surprisingly to me I actually prefer the 2.5 and rarely zoom at all at yardages under 400. I still use the 4-xx range scopes on my long range/target setups.

When I joined this forum it was well known that bringing in the ethics of long range hunting was a quick way to get the banned hammer smacked on them.

Being able to reliably take big game at long range is a great skill . Many can learn and be able to utilize.
Wounding an animal and having it run off never to be seen again is in NO WAY RELIGATED TO LONG RANGE HUNTING ! I've seen it happen at under 80 yards by men that paid lots of money and traveled a long way to see and be able to harvest a trophy Alaska /Yukon bull moose. Only to have their 1st shot be into 1 ham . and only 1 shot out of the 4 in their rifle make it into a lethal area of the moose.
And a 60" bull moose at 80 paces is Not a small target !

My reason for wanting to be able to shoot at long distance is for those times when I can't get closer. I'm not going to deliberately shoot at long ranges just to do it if I can get closer, but I do want myself and my rifle to be capable of it if the situation calls for it. The important thing as I see it is to have an accurate view of your capabilities and stay within them. If I don't have the scope magnification necessary for a long shot then I won't take it; if my scope doesn't have the field of view for a close running shot, then I won't take that either. Find a sighting system that you are comfortable with, can use well, works for the majority, if not all, of the conditions you expect to encounter, and then stay within your capabilities.
What works for me may or may not work for you. Reading through this thread I see a lot of good discussion about the pros and cons of different systems, with lots of good information to guide the choices of those still trying to figure out what works for them.

Wow...let loose the dogs on that one...

I have been called on to do a ton of next day tracking when I am on the home farm by neighbors and their hunting guest..because the average hunter amongst them has a lot of trouble hitting the game animal they spooked while attempting to sneak up on ...it then makes it into the bog/swamp/old growth or onto the farms property....have helped recover a lot of short range deer over the years...and called CO's to come out an put down many more...

My results at LR and ELR are bang flop or within a stones throw of point of impact...my short range is bang flop....

If it is not your cup of Tea...then perhaps find a site that favours your preferences...it will be a better time for all...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.