Are high powered scopes really necessary for hunting?

The highest power scope I own is an ATACR 4-16x 44mm on my .300win, but for 44 years I carried a rem. 700 in .270 caliber. My only optic during that 44 year time frame was a 4x Leatherwood ARTII, also 44mm, or maybe 42mm-don't recall offhand. In that time frame I've taken truckloads of deer and elk, but I never had any trouble being able to see to shoot and kill what I was hunting in any light condition. The optics are so good on that scope that I've never needed or wanted more power, or bigger objective. My question to those of you with the big 56-60mm objectives, at say 6-25X or more is why do you think you need that much power? Ok, a little background, I worked at a facility for years as an Optical Parts Inspector. We made optics for all branches of the US military, and I carried the appropriate D.O.D. clearance to do this work. My job was to measure all properties associated with any optic, including prisms and infrared/other optics, and coating chart analysis, and to insure it met the required specs. Later, I moved into an area where I was involved with final/non-destructive test of laser range and FLIR systems. My point is that I know a little bit about optics, but the question was actually spawned by the fact that of all of the world's leading military snipers, I can find no higher power used than 15-16x, in calibers up to and including 50 cal. Granted, special teams may have higher power scopes, but am saying this is apparently the general rule, with most countries at 10x or under.
I will add that what the world's military snipers use had no bearing on my latest 3-15x44 purchase, however. I bought it because it's all I believe I need. Anyways, I have no desire to change anyone's mind, and you won't change mine either. Just curious what you scope you guys hunt with and why? This question is directed at long range and ELR hunting applications, not paper punching-thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Last five years elk hunting CO I've gotten an elk. Closest shot was 1,028 yds, longest was 1,337 yds (for all the whiners not one took a step and have the vids for three) sure I could use a 3x9x44, but that may be the difference of whether it was a heart shot or just grazing the lungs! Another reason is sure identification at 1,000 yds and above accurate identification of legality of horns is imperative!

Good looking rigs.
eberlestock rifle chassis?
Yep! Both Kings Field Shadow Camo hydrodipped by Meridian Hydrodip in Meridian here near near Boise. With it and my Ghillie Suit the deer never even know I'm laying out in the middle of the cut wheat fields watching and waiting for just the right one to step out from the timber
20171010_091713.jpg
Peck, Idaho Deer Hunt 10.11.2014 10-12-2014 11-57-10 AM.png
20171012_080451.jpg

I have been hunting out to 800 yards for 30 years. Started with a 3-9 Leuopold and have grown older as my scope did. As my eyes slowly started getting worse I went to a 6.5 to 20 Leuopold. It works wonders when you have a buck out at 500 yards standing there with brown brush cover and his horns blend right in with the brush. I expect this is a function of my fading eye sight, poor light conditions, poor contrast between him and the back ground. Often I don't see horns until I turn my scope to 20 power. Now in the same areas when the snow is on the ground, a 3-9 would be plenty. But you never know what conditions you will be hunting in when in the Adirondacks.

Magnification is not a "who's right, who's wrong" as I took the OP's intent at justifying what works for him. Sorry if I mistook the intent.

We pick the gear that we "like" for the activity that we "like". There is NO "need" involved. People have been hunting for thousands of years with scopes so low powered they were non-existant. So anybody trying to say you only need the ol' 3-9 or what ever that represents their developement decade is typically just anti-change. People naturally do the same thing with wages and prices in all areas of life.

There have been many here that speak the truth in that you should pick the tool for the job, whatever that is. No sniper team worth anything is voluntarily using a 10x scope. The same goes for hunters. If the options are available, why not increase your chances of success? Smaller objectives are limited on light conditions, tube size dictates available turret travel for caliber/distance needs, magnification dictates identification (score, spotting hits/missed, wind).

ANYONE saying someone else doesn't "need" something is simply oppressing their personal views upon others. Humble recommendations based upon personal opinion are valued but these opinions, including mine, are just that...opinions.

Personally, I prefer for my needs a 2-10x50 for short range hunting. 2x for quick shots and the ability to dial up for longer shots if needed. The 50mm objective gets me a better picture at night or in lowlight than a smaller objective of equal qualty glass.

For more serious shooting I use a 4-27x56 as 4x is still sufficient for fairly close range (not exactly cqb house clearing tactical needs) and I have the glass, lighting and magnification to identify what I want at further distances. The trigger pull happens at any magnification in between depending upon the situation.

Obviously lower quality optics gather light less efficiently and will greatly benefit from a larger objective more than top tier glass but that doesn't mean it isn't also a benefit on the best glass too.

In reality, hunting deer with a bottle of rat poison certainly doesn't "need" a big scope nor does whacking them with a car. 99% of hunting is done 100yds or less but then this forum is not for that.

The highest power scope I own is an ATACR 4-16x 44mm on my .300win, but for 44 years I carried a rem. 700 in .270 caliber. My only optic during that 44 year time frame was a 4x Leatherwood ARTII, also 44mm, or maybe 42mm-don't recall offhand. In that time frame I've taken truckloads of deer and elk, but I never had any trouble being able to see to shoot and kill what I was hunting in any light condition. The optics are so good on that scope that I've never needed or wanted more power, or bigger objective. My question to those of you with the big 56-60mm objectives, at say 6-25X or more is why do you think you need that much power? Ok, a little background, I worked at a facility for years as an Optical Parts Inspector. We made optics for all branches of the US military, and I carried the appropriate D.O.D. clearance to do this work. My job was to measure all properties associated with any optic, including prisms and infrared/other optics, and coating chart analysis, and to insure it met the required specs. Later, I moved into an area where I was involved with final/non-destructive test of laser range and FLIR systems. My point is that I know a little bit about optics, but the question was actually spawned by the fact that of all of the world's leading military snipers, I can find no higher power used than 15-16x, in calibers up to and including 50 cal. Granted, special teams may have higher power scopes, but am saying this is apparently the general rule, with most countries at 10x or under.
I will add that what the world's military snipers use had no bearing on my latest 3-15x44 purchase, however. I bought it because it's all I believe I need. Anyways, I have no desire to change anyone's mind, and you won't change mine either. Just curious what you scope you guys hunt with and why? This question is directed at long range and ELR hunting applications, not paper punching-thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Like you I bought my first rifle way back (1972) when I turned 16 and was so proud of my Bushnell Banner 4 power with flip up command post! Yahoo...it served me flawlessly for many years. But now at 62 I have 6x 24s and 5x 25s on my rifles. Why....target confirmation past 300. I don't need to have binos around my neck, I don't need the rangefinders around my neck interfering with the elk call around my neck. A good mrad scope does the job. And then I generally will dial back to 10 to take the shot time permitting.

Obviously lower quality optics gather light less efficiently and will greatly benefit from a larger objective more than top tier glass but that doesn't mean it isn't also a benefit on the best glass too.

This part reminded me of someone who once told me "a brightly lit blob in a poor scope is a brightly lit blob." I remember when using a 6-24X cheapy I found some deer and could not tell if the bucks were legal or not. After turning up the magnification to 24X I could only tell there was something besides ears on them.

I also use the higher magnification (6-24 or 5-25) to verify what I'm shooting. I realized how important verifying shots are during late season muzzle loader season with an inline. I had a 4X and while meat hunting shot what I thought was a doe at just over 100 yards in brush. Turns out it was a decent buck that had shed its antlers, which I felt awful about. I now have a 4-16 on my inline muzzle loader.
But I get this question a lot from people and it confuses me. Why do I need a high power scope. I guess the answer is because I can afford it and feel the need to verify my shots And while target shooting, I appreciate being able to call my shots at 1000 yards. I've never felt the need to have 3 power and have enough experience with a scope to find my target with 5 power and up. So why limit myself to 9 power or 14 power to save a few ounces when I am fortunate enough to be able to save a few ounces with a Proof Carbon barrel or Fuzion Titanium action on my back country gun and still have a lightweight setup. And other rifles I don't have to pack so a few ounces seems negligible.
Just my 2 cents and I do give full respect to those that shoot at 1000 yards with a fixed 10 power scope or open sights. Those guys are amazing to watch.

For big game my favorite scope is a Swarovski Z8i rail mount 1.7-13.3x42 with the BTF turret. I have many other higher powered scopes and scopes with bigger objectives for different uses but for big game other than night time use, this one works really well for me from driven boar in Germany or cross canyon Coues Deer in Arizona out to 800 yards. I don't shoot any further than that although I have rifles, loads, and optics more than capable of doing so. If I did, I would choose one of my other optics.

This will likely offend many on this topic, and yes I'm perhaps paranoid, but, if I find a hunter looking at me or my direction, using a rifle scope for target identification.... I will assume that he may,intend" to fire.....I will treat the situation as such! Every hunting season people are accidentally shot, some thru pure ignorance, and some thru their mind seeing a trophy that doesn't exist. I'd rather be neither! If, shooting game at extended ranges is the primary goal, a quality spotting scope seems to be a logical piece of needed equipment! memtb

I've shot high power rifle at Whittington several times with apature front and rear, using magnification to confirm spotter disks for shot placement. As an amateur, I couldn't even match the groups that the better marksmen were shooting at up to 1000 yards with the same sights. As long as your sight picture is clear, 10 power can be just as good or better than 25x if your wind is steady, hold, trigger pull and follow-thru is good.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.