Are high powered scopes really necessary for hunting?

That's because nobody cares about RIP. Every POG in the world can attend as a "leadership course"

These are pretty much the same vision requirements in the Navy teams as well as Raiders. Plus the color and depth. I don't make the standards, I'm just regurgitating them. The Air Force is on their own program like always.

RIP is ranger indoctrination program. That's the pipeline for ranger regiment guys. RASP is the new name. Ranger school, itself, is the leadership course for everyone.

But Sappers lead the way so who cares about any of that other crap. :D

3-15 to 4-16 will serve the OP well. Especially a nightforce.

I'd much rather have it and don't need it than the other way around. ~14-18X is about perfect for those 1K yarders. In addition, it also depends on an individual's eye sight (as well as optical clarity), for instance a few years ago, picked up a rock target at 966 yards, needed it set at 14X and my son cranked it down to 8X. 14X also happens to be my longest big game harvest at 931 yards to date.

I still have great vision while wearing my contacts. 14x is plenty for me well past 1k. Still able to shoot 1moa at 100 with open sights. I'm sure when my vision gets worse I'll want more mag.

Had several with +20 power, I never used that high of power so I sold them and am much happier with 4-16 scopes on my hunters. I do have a 5-25 power I which will go on my .240 Wby for coyotes and prairie dogs.

No you don't need a great deal of magnification for the overwhelming percentage of hunting situations.

After more than 40 years of hunting I'd say that a decent 2-10, 3-12, 4-14, etc will cover about 95% of hunters needs.

I do a lot of hunting in very low light and at night so high quality glass and larger objectives serve me very well which is why all of my scopes are 50-56mm OBJ's.

Eventually all of my general purpose rifles will be wearing 3-18x50 or 4-24x52mm VX 6's.

My DG and defensive rifles will all wear either 1x red dot/laser sights or 1-6x variables.

IF/when I cut my collection down and I had to pick only one optic for all it would be the VX6 3-18x50.

Too much magnification will get you into trouble a whole lot faster than too little.

I like 4X16 as a general all-around scope and it's fine for everything but varmints to 1K. I do have one hunting rifle with a top end of 25X, but I shoot that rifle to a mile or more on occasion (targets).

Dave, I read Chuck Yeagers autobiography, and the man had phenomenal vision. Unfortunately, not all of us are equally blessed.... Its the same with sniper selection in any branch of the military and special forces in particular. If you dont have absolutely superb vision, you wont even clear the medical evaluation, let alone any of the training. The physical attributes of members of elite forces vs the general population is just not a valid comparison. Consider also the age of those in the special forces, how many on active duty that are past mid 30's and 40's ? Whats the median age of posters on this forum ?

I definitely love my 3-12x42 scopes and my 4-16x50 Viper FFP scopes even more. I have one 6-24x50 Viper FFP and I would say that the optical quality of that scope does not support more than 20x magnification. More magnification is more demanding of the quality of the optics and it is not a pleasing result when that quality is lacking. I have not yet had the opportunity to shoot much beyond 400 yards yet, I am in Michigan. I'm shooting at coyotes that are remarkably well camouflaged in grass that is often taller than they are. Coyotes are also not the biggest critters you have ever seen, and then the time that one tends to see them is pre-dawn, just as the sky starts lightening. So very low light levels and minimal contrast. We were prohibited from hunting predators at night with centerfire rifles until just a few years ago, so night hunting was with a 22mag and getting close enough for a lethal shot without the dogs hearing or winding you was a major PIA.... Hence sniping them with my 243 at the very start of twilight.

If I could have afforded a larger and higher quality objective for better light gathering, I probably would have, but for the range at which I shoot, 16x is enough magnification. I can see why 5-20 may be a very popular magnification range for people shooting at larger game at longer distances, especially in adverse light.
It is true that the vision you have plays a major role-you have what you have been given. I was blessed with phenomenal vision, but that has moderated some thru the years now. Last year I took an impact to my left eye at work and now only have 20/25 in it. Used to be my better eye too. But I still have 20/20 in my gun eye so can't complain too much-lots of people worse off.

It is true that the vision you have plays a major role-you have what you have been given. I was blessed with phenomenal vision, but that has moderated some thru the years now. Last year I took an impact to my left eye at work and now only have 20/25 in it. Used to be my better eye too. But I still have 20/20 in my gun eye so can't complain too much-lots of people worse off.
Sorry to hear about that.

Although most people don't really understand it even more important than visual acuity is how our brains process the images we see.

When you see rapidly unfolding events in slow motion and train your reflexes accordingly people can accomplish things quite simply that seem amazing or even superhuman to others.

In the civilian world your best examples can be found at tactical shooting competitions and at sporting clays shoots.

The people who excel at those disciplines are blessed with that ability.

Not a big fan of high magnification on my hunting rifles, or on target rifles for that matter. Largest I've owned was an 8-32x56 that was on a .408 Cheytac. Got rid of it, even though I'd shot that rifle out past 2,000 yards on several occasions. Highest I have now is a 5.5-22x50 that usually sits on my .375 Snipetac, but for hunting this year it was changed to a scope that maxes at 15x. Had elk in it at over 1600 yards and felt it sufficient, deer may have been a different story.

Really sorry about your injury.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.