Are high powered scopes really necessary for hunting?

The highest power scope I own is an ATACR 4-16x 44mm on my .300win, but for 44 years I carried a rem. 700 in .270 caliber. My only optic during that 44 year time frame was a 4x Leatherwood ARTII, also 44mm, or maybe 42mm-don't recall offhand. In that time frame I've taken truckloads of deer and elk, but I never had any trouble being able to see to shoot and kill what I was hunting in any light condition. The optics are so good on that scope that I've never needed or wanted more power, or bigger objective. My question to those of you with the big 56-60mm objectives, at say 6-25X or more is why do you think you need that much power? Ok, a little background, I worked at a facility for years as an Optical Parts Inspector. We made optics for all branches of the US military, and I carried the appropriate D.O.D. clearance to do this work. My job was to measure all properties associated with any optic, including prisms and infrared/other optics, and coating chart analysis, and to insure it met the required specs. Later, I moved into an area where I was involved with final/non-destructive test of laser range and FLIR systems. My point is that I know a little bit about optics, but the question was actually spawned by the fact that of all of the world's leading military snipers, I can find no higher power used than 15-16x, in calibers up to and including 50 cal. Granted, special teams may have higher power scopes, but am saying this is apparently the general rule, with most countries at 10x or under.
I will add that what the world's military snipers use had no bearing on my latest 3-15x44 purchase, however. I bought it because it's all I believe I need. Anyways, I have no desire to change anyone's mind, and you won't change mine either. Just curious what you scope you guys hunt with and why? This question is directed at long range and ELR hunting applications, not paper punching-thanks in advance for your thoughts.
I've settled on a Swaro Z6i 1.7-10x42 for all hunting. My .375 H&H has a Swaro Z8i 1-8x24 and the .416 Rigby has a Leupold 1.5-5 x24 illuminated. Have had scopes with higher top end power and bigger objectives but in the field, never had a scope on higher than 6x. Top quality glass and field of view are paramount hence my current choices.

Everyone has personal preferences, on my rifles certain scope depict certain ranges and size of the targets. Examples, not bragging it is just what I have acquired over 50 years.
Ruger 77/22 22LR. 4-12x40 fine duplex for squirrels Ruger 77/17 6-18x40 varmint reticle, I have two Ruger M77 Ultra Lite 243's one has a Leupold 4.5-14x50 the other has a Leupold VX6 3-18x50 these are for coyotes, varmint rifles have 8.5-25x50 for prairie dogs VX6 2-12 and 4-24x52 on my magnums for short to mid to long range. To me more power for distance is better for pin point precision, shooting small targets at long range with a 3x9 Will not work ! Variables were made for a reason. Happy Hunting !

I look at long range hunting kinda like I look flying jets and driving stock cars at 200 mph ect. ( I ) may not have the stuff , inside and outside my body to do those things reliably. But that sure don't mean plenty of other people don't.

Kinda like I view fighting brown bear up close in thick conifer brush with a good rifle and a Great dog . Or falling old growth timber in bluffy ground , working piece work.
Lotta guys here can't do those things and have a satisfactory and profitable result. I can and did for years.
Last thing I'm gonna do is tell someone they can't do something that they actually Can do !

Most of my scopes hit 20x,had a 6.5-20 and it was to much on low end for me and bear country used it for a handful of years.Im getting older and want to pack less Im in my scope on high x for trophy caliber.My favorite years are when ive tagged out on five species bow hunting and go out with friends for spotting and fun

Are high powered scopes NECESSARY for hunting? No. Are they sometimes desireable? Yes, OF COURSE they are!

My personal preference is for variables with a low end around 3 or 4 and a high end around 14 to 16. I also prefer objective lens diameters in the mid-40's. That is what best suits my budget, skill level, and hunting style. When choosing ANY piece of gear, those things are among the core questions to ask oneself. Arriving at a satisfying answer when choosing equipment requires, first and foremost, an honest self-assessment.

My chosen gear is a reflection of my budget, my skill level, and the conditions under which I hunt. Other than varmints, my longest kill on a game animal came this year at just over 200 yards, which is well within the capabilities of my gear. However, my hunting venue is changing, which may well cause me to alter my hunting style and my gear choices.

There is no shortage of experienced LR hunters on this site who can, and do, make full use of high quality, high powered optics. Those guys aren't running the optics they do just to be show offs. Some of them are individuals who have been at the forefront of the development of LRH. They didn't arrive at any of their gear choices because of gun writers or outdoor shows. Their choices come from actual experience in the field. It would be foolish to ignore their experience or their advice.

For someone considering going the high powered optics route, my advice is to choose carefully and be prepared to open your wallet. High magnification, without benefit of quality glass and precise, rugged internals, is worse than useless. There is NO CHEAP WAY TO GET THERE! If you truly need the capabilities inherent in QUALITY high powered optics, there is NO SUBSTITUTE!

I have three premier 5-25 gen2xrs, these are on my hunting/match guns. Rarely do I find myself at 25x in either application, but it is nice to have the extra power in the event you could benefit from it, judging an animal, or milling one because it's raining or snowing to the point your rangefinder fails.

While deer hunting in Kansas, I learned a very good lesson. Deer fight, and in good population densities, they fight a lot. So, with my out of state fees, land owner fees, I had $3500 plus living expenses tied up in the hunt. Third day, a darn big bucks walks out with a great what looked like a 12 point rack, body weight estimated high 200's. I took him at 560 yards. Walked out, one brow tine was broken off.

That was an expensive lesson to learn on low power scope, this was a 4x12. I don't buy the BS that clarity at 12x is better than a little bit of fuzz at 24x. I can always turn the scope down. I don't need to take pictures through the scope to post on you tube, I just need to place the shot.

The next year, went with the 4-16, MONSTER buck walking a fence line at 700, could not tell the condition of his rack, he went over 300 lbs...I let him walk.

Some of us want to count points and brow tines before we pull the trigger. More often than not, you do not have the opportunity to use a spotting scope, must less steady up a spotting scope sitting in a 15' ladder stand.

People fall into two camps, minimalists and maximum usable power(turn it down if you don't need it). It is like trying to talk a democrat into becoming a republican from either end.

There's an answer I never thought about, mainly because I'm a meat hunter and don't give a **** about counting points. Granted, I would take the biggest buck out of a group though as antlers make good dog chews. I need a steady supply for my Doberman she loves chewing on deer and elk antlers!

Last edited:
Had a couple of NXS 3.5-15x56 and 8-32x56 nice hunting scopes when they first came out, worked well on goats out to 1200m. Had them on a few rifles over the years from 223rem, 308win, 300wsm, 270win. Now running a 4-16x42 ATACR on a 338 edge, easily enough magnification to 1000m for me. I like a wide field of view hunting, killed plenty of goats on 4 power at 500m-600m.
If I was shooting regularly past 1000m I would want more magnification and is surprising how far you can actually can shoot with a medium magnification scope. Good glass and a good repeatable shooting process is more important. You can have all the magnification in the world but you still need the skills to get it on target.

Like you I bought my first rifle way back (1972) when I turned 16 and was so proud of my Bushnell Banner 4 power with flip up command post! Yahoo...it served me flawlessly for many years. But now at 62 I have 6x 24s and 5x 25s on my rifles. Why....target confirmation past 300. I don't need to have binos around my neck, I don't need the rangefinders around my neck interfering with the elk call around my neck. A good mrad scope does the job. And then I generally will dial back to 10 to take the shot time permitting.

These factors are creeping up on me also.

Magnification is not a "who's right, who's wrong" as I took the OP's intent at justifying what works for him. Sorry if I mistook the intent.

We pick the gear that we "like" for the activity that we "like". There is NO "need" involved. People have been hunting for thousands of years with scopes so low powered they were non-existant. So anybody trying to say you only need the ol' 3-9 or what ever that represents their developement decade is typically just anti-change. People naturally do the same thing with wages and prices in all areas of life.

There have been many here that speak the truth in that you should pick the tool for the job, whatever that is. No sniper team worth anything is voluntarily using a 10x scope. The same goes for hunters. If the options are available, why not increase your chances of success? Smaller objectives are limited on light conditions, tube size dictates available turret travel for caliber/distance needs, magnification dictates identification (score, spotting hits/missed, wind).

ANYONE saying someone else doesn't "need" something is simply oppressing their personal views upon others. Humble recommendations based upon personal opinion are valued but these opinions, including mine, are just that...opinions.

Personally, I prefer for my needs a 2-10x50 for short range hunting. 2x for quick shots and the ability to dial up for longer shots if needed. The 50mm objective gets me a better picture at night or in lowlight than a smaller objective of equal qualty glass.

For more serious shooting I use a 4-27x56 as 4x is still sufficient for fairly close range (not exactly cqb house clearing tactical needs) and I have the glass, lighting and magnification to identify what I want at further distances. The trigger pull happens at any magnification in between depending upon the situation.

Obviously lower quality optics gather light less efficiently and will greatly benefit from a larger objective more than top tier glass but that doesn't mean it isn't also a benefit on the best glass too.

In reality, hunting deer with a bottle of rat poison certainly doesn't "need" a big scope nor does whacking them with a car. 99% of hunting is done 100yds or less but then this forum is not for that.
Your reading comprehension needs improvement. Your ability to read people's minds is a lost cause-ha! Seriously though, I buy what I need to do the job, not what looks cool, bragging rights, or other stupid ideas having nothing to do with performance and long term reliability. If you need higher mag due to bad eyes or just because you simply want that why would that matter to me? What matters to me are considerations I may not have thought yet. The point of the thread has nothing to do with tweaking yours or anyone else's mind, geese get over yourself already

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.