Anything that will beat the March for what it is?

Caulder

I've got analysis paralysis on the right scope for an 18 inch 6.5 PRC mountain rig. Goal is as lightweight as possible, but still need to make ethical shots from 500-700 yards. FFP is always nice, but I mostly dial and can sit at max mag if I need to hold, so SFP is fine and I am used to both SFP and FFP scopes. In other words, I would go SFP for serious weight reduction, but still would love a magical FFP scope to arise that I've never heard of. I will want illumination on this one.

Obvious choice seems to be a March 3-24x42 at 21 oz., but I've never used one and don't have time to find someone who has one to look through. It checks all the boxes, and it looks like they sell pretty cheap on the aftermarket if I am patient. Problem is reports of terrible parallax, which I'm scared to deal with on a fleeting 500 yard shot, and (fewer) reports of average lowlight performance. I can be a glass snob, especially when it comes to lowlight. Another option is swaro, and I love my swaros. But, they are on zero and forget whitetail guns and I rarely dial them. I hear they are pretty unreliable for dialing, and I don't want a scope to go down five miles into the mountains on a gun that I will certainly need to dial on.

Anyone know of a 20ish ounce or lighter scope that isn't a leupold that could fit my needs? Moreover, any firsthand experience with the March 3-24?

Thanks in advance

Ive had a March 52mm, on my rifle since '15.It doesn't do anything the mark4 6-20x50 did. I love the lower profile dials, like the open TMR more on Leupy,like the lower end on March.Dont like the parallax and its not clear past 20 x.My mark 5 blows it away optically.But it remains on my 338nm,my 6.5 has the mark 4,March is more compact. My dream scope would probably be a TT for 338 ,but hard to swallow. I would like to try a nx8-20x for the 6.5.If I like it more then it would end up on my 338.

IMG_3694 2.jpeg

I have an NX8 2.5-20 and honestly it's one of the best scopes I've ever had. However, I always thought it was a fluke because I had an ATACR that I was not fond of and I've looked through other NXS/NX8/ATACRs and wasn't impressed. Problem is the NX8 weighs 27 oz, and to me, a lightweight scope is closer to 20.

Appreciate the insight on the leupold, but I've had dialing issues with both of my leupolds in the past and kind of swore off of them. Is it the preponderance of thought that leupold has improved their turrets?

FWIW, Per your posts in another thread, I would look at the close out Leica Amplus 6 2.5-15x50 at EuroOptic. It's 24oz. I think and cheap enough to move along with little loss if you don't like it. Good luck in your search!
I have been looking at this as well trying to get finger to hit "put in cart"! That close out price of $899 from $1499 is darn nice!

Faced your same dilemma - settled on 20.5 oz NF nxs 2.5x10 to fit in scabbard on goat hunts. Yes I wish it had more power but I have an NX8 4x32 for that. Specialized scope but for spotting shots 10x works .

Just curious, why not a razor LHT? 3-15X50 SFP is 20.5 oz, 4.5-22 FFP is 21.7 oz. The 3-15 I have on my 308 is crystal clear and **** near perfect for a hunting scope to me. I have a 4.5-22 on the way to go on a 6arc howa mini as a crossover gun, but it hasn't made it yet and I'm still waiting on my chassis anyway.

Eurooptic is running 55% off MSRP for vortex till end of the month if you qualify for their VIP pricing or could get someone who does to order it. The 4.5-22 LHT came out to $900 even with it. Hell of a deal.

Nobody mentions the vortex LHT. I have 2 of them and my father has 1 he purchased after shooting mine. So the 3 I've used have been great. My only complaint is the windage turret sucks on all of them. They are mushy. If you don't dial for wind that isn't a problem. Elevation turrets work great.

Recently had the opportunity to compare 5 scopes. Now these prices are approximate and I'm only talking about optics. Zeiss $2200, leupold $1800, vortex $1000, arken $360, vortex $300. I was surprised that the optics quality followed right along with the price. The zeiss was amazing. Other features did not correspond with the price. For instance the arken 0 stop and adjust seemed equal in quality to the zeiss but the arken is much to heavy for hunting. Higher price vortex very close to leupold while the lower end didn't do anything very well.
I have also been looking at march but never had the opportunity to try one. Would like to hear more on the subject.
Seems to me that nikon getting out of the scope business was probably a good thing, opened up the flood gates for others.