Anyone "transitioned" from .338 LM to .33XC?

I bought a savage 110 FCP in 338 Lapua 10 years ago,View attachment 433970I have had a load that was traveling at 3100 feet a second so loaded kind of hot. I have not had a single issue yet. It's on its third barrel now.
I have a 110 stealth in 338lm, but only 30 down the tube. Just completed a 110 in 264wm that'll hopefully be a good 1.

I bought a savage 110 FCP in 338 Lapua 10 years ago,View attachment 433970I have had a load that was traveling at 3100 feet a second so loaded kind of hot. I have not had a single issue yet. It's on its third barrel now.
I believe that particular model was/is built in only 308 or 338 Lapua.
We bought a 308 for my grandson, mainly for practicing on rocks on the hillside across from our camp.
Out of the box it is as accurate a gun of any i have ever shot.
Ive also watched as a few friends i know shot their 338s at the same rocks, and the results were quite different to say the least.
As for the velocity claims, the bullet weight wasent mentioned,
but it wasent done with a 300 grain.

I believe that particular model was/is built in only 308 or 338 Lapua.
We bought a 308 for my grandson, mainly for practicing on rocks on the hillside across from our camp.
Out of the box it is as accurate a gun of any i have ever shot.
Ive also watched as a few friends i know shot their 338s at the same rocks, and the results were quite different to say the least.
As for the velocity claims, the bullet weight wasent mentioned,
but it wasent done with a 300 grain.
398 yards my backyard range 225 grain bullet reloader 33 for powder. reloader 26 was slightly faster but not accurate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 34
  • 8B044B99-9AAF-4F8B-967B-4AC9BF55C3B7.jpeg
    8B044B99-9AAF-4F8B-967B-4AC9BF55C3B7.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 34
The 110 I had started out life as a 30-06. I found the 338LM bolt head had a .050 difference ( if I'm remembering correctly ). Possibly the factory receiver in 338LM matches? I don't know. I only know that I wouldn't do it again.

The 110 I had started out life as a 30-06. I found the 338LM bolt head had a .050 difference ( if I'm remembering correctly ). Possibly the factory receiver in 338LM matches? I don't know. I only know that I wouldn't do it again.
Im surprised that you found someone even claiming to be a gunsmith willing to build it on that action.
Make up your mind that back in the day 50 plus years ago, people were getting seriously hurt with this kind of stuff.
Today with all the information and quality actions available, there really isnt much excuse for it.

Im surprised that you found someone even claiming to be a gunsmith willing to build it on that action.
Make up your mind that back in the day 50 plus years ago, people were getting seriously hurt with this kind of stuff.
Today with all the information and quality actions available, there really isnt much excuse for it.
Ignorance is bliss, man, and I was pretty blissful. And hard headed. And arrogant. That still is no excuse. I'm not going to start about the builder. I accept MY responsibility in my tale. It's ALL mine. I will say this about the guy.... It was a tight chamber. I had brass running over 25 shots.
All in all, that rifle taught me a lot of priceless information. Certainly would not recommend that particular curriculum, tho!!

I don't buy a cartridge until is at least 20 years old. So I'll wait, if I live that long. Meanwhile, I'll just settle for 338WM and 338 LM. They are costly enough to shoot. I did consider the 338-378 but last minute bought the LM instead.