33xc velocity

My teammates just placed 2nd, 3rd and 5th at KO1M last weekend. I was not there, on my way to Africa for a hunting trip. As a team we have won KO1M and KO2M, not trying to brag, just adding context to the below data.

I won't tell you exactly where we run our 7 or 8 33XC's (we all shoot 300 Bergers with 34 in. barrels) but I will say it is slower than 3250. David Tubb told me most guys in ELR run them around 3100 or so. The most popular powders are N565, H1000 and N570. After that would be H50, 20N41, etc. Tubb told me he uses H1000.

The 33 XC is capable of very high velocities, but the key to long range hits is a very low SD / ES and of course a properly tuned ballistics solver. Running them really hard doesn't seem to provide any advantage at all unless you enjoy buying new barrels and brass.
That was good information. I appreciate that you took the time to share it.

I've been thinking of building a 33XC for next year. I just dropped my youngest and last kid off at college so I may start by just collecting my parts and beginning the build when I get a break in the action (tuition). But, it's always good to gather good information and get a strategy before spending money on things multiple times to fix mistakes. (measure twice, cut once.) I hope guys will continue to share what has worked well for them. Everyone benefits from the experiences.

The weather here finally cooled off enough to go shoot . I had some ammo left from the old barrel when I gave up on it.
Fed 215
H50BMG 124.5 grs
Berger 250 Hybrid
That load ran 3240ish, in that barrel. That same load, in a brand new barrel, was 3379fps, first shot. Yesterday, shot # 12, left thr barrel at 3430. Now, that was 124.5grs of 24n41 powder, which is a marginally faster burning powder, but still....
New barrel VS. Old barrel, first shot to first shot, I gained a boatload of velocity.

The weather here finally cooled off enough to go shoot . I had some ammo left from the old barrel when I gave up on it.
Fed 215
H50BMG 124.5 grs
Berger 250 Hybrid
That load ran 3240ish, in that barrel. That same load, in a brand new barrel, was 3379fps, first shot. Yesterday, shot # 12, left thr barrel at 3430. Now, that was 124.5grs of 24n41 powder, which is a marginally faster burning powder, but still....
New barrel VS. Old barrel, first shot to first shot, I gained a boatload of velocity.
May I ask what made you decide to use the 250gr bergers over the 300gr pills?

May I ask what made you decide to use the 250gr bergers over the 300gr pills?
I had them?
I'm a speed nut. I like lots of velocity. That being said, in the last barrel, I couldn't get the velocity to where I felt it should be, and didn't want to use 300s while being unhappy with performance. In the new barrel, the 250s were simply a litmus test, and barrel break in fodder. The new barrel is performing much better, and now , with nearly 40 rds down it, looks like it may be done speeding up. So, I'm starting load development with 300gr Bergers. I also have some 300gr SMKs to try.

I had them?
I'm a speed nut. I like lots of velocity. That being said, in the last barrel, I couldn't get the velocity to where I felt it should be, and didn't want to use 300s while being unhappy with performance. In the new barrel, the 250s were simply a litmus test, and barrel break in fodder. The new barrel is performing much better, and now , with nearly 40 rds down it, looks like it may be done speeding up. So, I'm starting load development with 300gr Bergers. I also have some 300gr SMKs to try.
The smk's should yield higher velocity due being shorter and shorter bearing surface. While I don't have a 33xc only 338lm w/24" barrel for testing (haven't yet). The Nosler 300cc might also be a speed choice? I bought the lm for annihilating hogs. You know "1 shot 4-5-6 kills" 🤔 . Of course, I'm using fmj's for that and care nothing about expansion!

i just got 3,350 fps today with a 300 berger in my 338 cheytac (non snipetac) using an obscene amount of 20n29. i didn't think performance like this was possible, it is absolutely devastating. it put a hole straight though my 3/8" 16"x16" ar500 plate at 310 yards.

the 3,350 load is a whole different level of destruction compared to my 3,150 fps fire forming loads.
I have not seen to many 338 cheytacs or snipetacs being posted about in the recent years. It seems a lot of people that are shooting competitions have been using the 33xc. But for a hunter the cheytac case does look like a devastating 338 cartridge. What sort of barrel life have you seen for your rifle so far? And if you don't mind me asking, wat was your load for that 3350 fps speed? That seems like an absolutely brutal load for hunting.

What are your plans with a 33? In other words what do you want it to do and why a 33XC?
I am looking to build a large 338 due to the excellent ballistics and the abundance of 338 projectiles compared to a 375. I want to use it for large game (elk and moose when I get time) and target shooting out to 1.5 miles. This is just a project I have want to build to get my speed itch satisfied. The 33xc seem to be a great option due to good brass available and the ability to use a standard reloading press.

I have not seen to many 338 cheytacs or snipetacs being posted about in the recent years. It seems a lot of people that are shooting competitions have been using the 33xc. But for a hunter the cheytac case does look like a devastating 338 cartridge. What sort of barrel life have you seen for your rifle so far? And if you don't mind me asking, wat was your load for that 3350 fps speed? That seems like an absolutely brutal load for hunting.
it's an old build from 2011 or so that I bought off my gunsmith who long range deer/elk hunted. I will be likely rebarreling to 375 next go around.

Round count is under 400, the throat doesn't look terrible, but need to troubleshoot some questionable bullet failure issues. As fun as this cartridge is i'm not sure I would recommend it over a 33xc…..not to mention the custom dies required.

34" brux bbl - peterson brass - 145.0 grains 20n29 for 3,350 with the 300 berger.

Before we had access to Lazer range finders and handheld ballistics solvers there was good reasons to chase velocities, now it often ends up being a variable that hurts long range precision.

Bottom line; do a velocity ladder test at as long of a range you can be precise at and work your load around the data you achieve from that test.

Food for thought; an extra 100 fps at the muzzle is not an extra 100 fps at 1000 yards. Shrinks to around 81 fps at 1000 yards and 69 at a mile. Not worth all the extra heat, barrel life, brass life and potential velocity migration IMO.

Before we had access to Lazer range finders and handheld ballistics solvers there was good reasons to chase velocities, now it often ends up being a variable that hurts long range precision.

Bottom line; do a velocity ladder test at as long of a range you can be precise at and work your load around the data you achieve from that test.

Food for thought; an extra 100 fps at the muzzle is not an extra 100 fps at 1000 yards. Shrinks to around 81 fps at 1000 yards and 69 at a mile. Not worth all the extra heat, barrel life, brass life and potential velocity migration IMO.
Since my initial post I have seen more and more data similar to what you speak of. The velocity isn't worth the hassle and more splash on target is better than a zippy .338

Now I am thinking of an improved 375 cheytac. With a long barrel (36-38") I am hoping for 3200 fps with a 400gr Lazer compared to the 300gr berger at 3300-3400 fps in a 338 cheytac based platform.

I am looking for more data on loads and velocity for the 375 cheytac improved so if anyone could spare some info, that would be greatly appreciated.

I have had a few debates with a former teammate of mine re: splash on target, no doubt that more splash is a good thing. I am not convinced that the current mainstream thoughts on splash are accurate.

The 375 Cheytac is an excellent cartridge for sure. The larger bullet will result in more splash than the 338's.