33xc velocity

Coercionist

When it comes to competition shooting at extended ranges (1-1.5 miles) in the past few years the 33xc has seemed to have taken this range by storm and has been winning a majority of these competitions. I am looking to build a rifle in this caliber for both amateur elr shooting and big game hunting so I have been compiling reloading data for it but I have seen a wide range of velocities for this caliber. I have seen people run it at 3075 and others at 3350 fps (both with 300gr bergers) all with similar barrel length. The higher velocities are generally achieved with N570 but I recently read of someone getting 3250 fps with h50bmg with a 32" barrel. I would rather not toast my barrel with the N570 so this is comforting. I have a theory explaining the wide range of velocities. The actions that the shooters have been using generally line up with the velocities that they get. I do not feel that somebody using a Remington 700 action with a widened bolt should expect the same velocity as somebody using a beefy bat single shot action. For example, one of the Winners of the King of 2 mile match use the 33 XC with a 275 grain cutting edge bullet to achieve almost 3600 ft./s using a bat action and I'm assuming a 36 inch barrel. With the smaller actions that a lot of people are using and converting to 33 XC this velocity is not even dreamable. Putting this theory into action, I'm thinking of building a rifle off of the Pierce 10 X repeater action and Cadex bottom metal with a Bartlein MOD400 34" barrel. With this lengthy barrel and heavy duty action, I'm hoping for 3200 fps with a 300gr cutting edge MTH. What do you guys think of this? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

And if any of you all shoot the xc, would you mind dropping some of your pet loads?

I used to load and shoot a 338-378 Wby that I blew up. Built a 33XC to replace it. Close barrel lengths, Wby 31, XC 30. I never did achieve similar velocities. I am convinced it's barrel bore diameter. Although, the Wby was a 10 twist and the XC was a 9. Can't believe that made an nth of difference. 500 rds down the XC I gave up, and ordered a New Barrel..... A Lilja 10 twist at 34in. Why shovel more powder for less performance?As soon as the weather cools off( it's 112 here in Phx today) I'll get back out there, and then maybe I'll know something to share. Mean while, the best I got was around 3268... With 250 Bergers. I did see 3300 with LRT, but it hammered the snot out of the primer.
On the up side, I made my first ever, first shot, cold bore, at 985 ( in my mind, 1000 ) yd , 1 in high and left with it. Anyway , I'm pretty sure your mileage WILL vary!! Seems like everyone's does.

I have my own wildcat 338-416 Rigby Improved 45° that is very similar to the 33XC, I can run well above 3250fps with most 300g pills, and I use H50BMG with HBN coated pills, but for ELR comp I'm running a custom brass pill at 323g and push that easily to 3150fps using HBN.
My barrel is also 32" and straight 1.250", 9" twist.
Hope you enjoy your build, I love mine, when the barrel is done, I will probably scrap the wildcat and go 33XC, even though I have $100's in dies and other components.

Cheers.

From what I've seen 3200 is likely asking a little much from a 33XC, I'd expect 3050-3150. If you want that speed go to a 338 Snipetac but you'll lose barrel life.

I've got a Stiller TAC single shot with a 32" Brux 1-9 twist barrel. I got over 3300fps with the 275 Badlands SBII this weekend using Retumbo but that was to hit for my setup. It looks like 3250 is where it's safe and should work with Retumbo. I started with H50BMG and it got me past 3300 a couple times but I was always running a compressed load, it seemed a touch slow for the 275gr bullets.

My teammates just placed 2nd, 3rd and 5th at KO1M last weekend. I was not there, on my way to Africa for a hunting trip. As a team we have won KO1M and KO2M, not trying to brag, just adding context to the below data.

I won't tell you exactly where we run our 7 or 8 33XC's (we all shoot 300 Bergers with 34 in. barrels) but I will say it is slower than 3250. David Tubb told me most guys in ELR run them around 3100 or so. The most popular powders are N565, H1000 and N570. After that would be H50, 20N41, etc. Tubb told me he uses H1000.

The 33 XC is capable of very high velocities, but the key to long range hits is a very low SD / ES and of course a properly tuned ballistics solver. Running them really hard doesn't seem to provide any advantage at all unless you enjoy buying new barrels and brass.

From what I've seen 3200 is likely asking a little much from a 33XC, I'd expect 3050-3150. If you want that speed go to a 338 Snipetac but you'll lose barrel life.
i just got 3,350 fps today with a 300 berger in my 338 cheytac (non snipetac) using an obscene amount of 20n29. i didn't think performance like this was possible, it is absolutely devastating. it put a hole straight though my 3/8" 16"x16" ar500 plate at 310 yards.

the 3,350 load is a whole different level of destruction compared to my 3,150 fps fire forming loads.

When it comes to competition shooting at extended ranges (1-1.5 miles) in the past few years the 33xc has seemed to have taken this range by storm and has been winning a majority of these competitions. I am looking to build a rifle in this caliber for both amateur elr shooting and big game hunting so I have been compiling reloading data for it but I have seen a wide range of velocities for this caliber. I have seen people run it at 3075 and others at 3350 fps (both with 300gr bergers) all with similar barrel length. The higher velocities are generally achieved with N570 but I recently read of someone getting 3250 fps with h50bmg with a 32" barrel. I would rather not toast my barrel with the N570 so this is comforting. I have a theory explaining the wide range of velocities. The actions that the shooters have been using generally line up with the velocities that they get. I do not feel that somebody using a Remington 700 action with a widened bolt should expect the same velocity as somebody using a beefy bat single shot action. For example, one of the Winners of the King of 2 mile match use the 33 XC with a 275 grain cutting edge bullet to achieve almost 3600 ft./s using a bat action and I'm assuming a 36 inch barrel. With the smaller actions that a lot of people are using and converting to 33 XC this velocity is not even dreamable. Putting this theory into action, I'm thinking of building a rifle off of the Pierce 10 X repeater action and Cadex bottom metal with a Bartlein MOD400 34" barrel. With this lengthy barrel and heavy duty action, I'm hoping for 3200 fps with a 300gr cutting edge MTH. What do you guys think of this? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

And if any of you all shoot the xc, would you mind dropping some of your pet loads?
I believe you are on to something pertaining to the actions. Mine is built on a Savage .338 Lapua single shot target action. I've had 3 barrels and they all pressure up @ under the Tubbs published loads. I believe an action with a little more meat would fair better. My current barrel is a 28" carbon wrapped with 1-9" twist. My current load is 122 grains of LRT pushing a 300 grain Berger or SMK right at 3050 fps. I have pushed it to 3150 but extraction gets sticky and precision and ES is great at the lower velocity.

3600 fps with a 275 grain bullet is what I would expect more on the level of a long barreled 338 Allen Mag. Not saying they aren't getting that, it is just exceptionally fast (in my mind at least).

I believe you are on to something pertaining to the actions. Mine is built on a Savage .338 Lapua single shot target action. I've had 3 barrels and they all pressure up @ under the Tubbs published loads. I believe an action with a little more meat would fair better. My current barrel is a 28" carbon wrapped with 1-9" twist. My current load is 122 grains of LRT pushing a 300 grain Berger or SMK right at 3050 fps. I have pushed it to 3150 but extraction gets sticky and precision and ES is great at the lower velocity.

3600 fps with a 275 grain bullet is what I would expect more on the level of a long barreled 338 Allen Mag. Not saying they aren't getting that, it is just exceptionally fast (in my mind at least).
not only in your mind.. mine also!!

I would use a BAT L or CT if it was me... Look on the firing line of any comp from 100 to 2 miles and tell me how many BATS are in the winning circle.. Almost all!!

Recent Posts