Converting RPR 338 LM to 338 LM Ackley

drathaar907

Would it be advisable to convert a 338 LM in a Ruger Precision Rifle -RPR to an 338 LM Ackley. Would there be a benefit. Friend of a friend has the 338 AI reamer and could also make sizing die. This would primarily be for ELR matches.

Velocity gain will be substantial. Are you sure he can make a sizing die? How many rounds are down the barrel now?

I did it successfully. It has been an absolute hammer. It's the mile easy button. Are you talking about reaming out your existing barrel? My recommendation would be simply turn a custom barrel.

I did it successfully. It has been an absolute hammer. It's the mile easy button. Are you talking about reaming out your existing barrel? My recommendation would be simply turn a custom barrel.
The rifle/barrel is almost new…300 rounds

If you needed a re-barrel I'd say do that and chamber the improved at the same time. The cost to set back and re chamber that factory barrel I wouldn't do it.

My honest thoughts are don't start the bleeding. Sell the RPR now and build a custom.

I would agree with the above as well. As much as I love mine, I have thought about selling it and starting over on a custom action.

If you choose to stay with the RPR, it wouldn't be a bad choice to re-chamber, your factory barrel, and use it for a fire forming barrel after you decide to start chasing more accuracy and order a custom barrel

I would agree with the above as well. As much as I love mine, I have thought about selling it and starting over on a custom action.

If you choose to stay with the RPR, it wouldn't be a bad choice to re-chamber, your factory barrel, and use it for a fire forming barrel after you decide to start chasing more accuracy and order a custom barrel
I don't currently own the RPR.. friend of mine wanting to sell. Why are you thinking of selling? If you love it?

RPR's are great I've owned several and they certainly have their pro's and con's. Ultimately I like the ability to swap calibers to include bolt face swaps which is my primary reason against the RPR. There are pre-fits for RPR's but they still occasionally require fitting. I find custom actions to be more modular, smoother, sexier (CDI-effect), and they hold their value better.

I have $2500-$2700 into my RPR and I probably could only sell it for 1500. I have roughly $3000-$3500 in my defiance setup and could probably sell it for near what I have in it.

Oh ya I would leave the RPR out of the equation and build from scratch. That RPR is a fine rifle but it will leave you wanting more in the end. Don't ask me what I have into my REM 700 build and it'll never be as smooth as a good custom. Shoots lights out tho.

I would shoot it like it is, not spend money converting it to anything else, and start building what you really want while shooting the RPR. Meaning if your friend will ream and set back the barrel for friend-price, sure why not do it, but if it's going to cost $300-500+ don't bother.

Get a good action (I'd say Bat or Stiller for .590 bolt face), get someone good to work on it and put the trigger in, and get the action put into a McMillan stock by someone who knows what they're doing. Then you can change barrels and bolts whenever you want going forward.

I order my actions with two bolts - .540 mag and .590 Lapua for the big gun - so I can run the 'flavor of the week' without changing anything else on the rifle. 33 XC was all the rage a couple years ago, but 338 Edge is the in-thing now apparently so that's what's on it at the moment.

I have a 338 Lapua, and 2 LAI's. If you are working with magazine length cartridges the velocity gain will be minimal due to how much of the bullet extends into the case taking up powder space. If you are working with a chamber where the boattail junction is in front of the shoulder neck junction of the brass you could easily gain a 100 fps.