Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Looks like a shooter. I second that on the VLD seating depth, I just shot a savage LRH in 7 mag that liked 180 vlds .080 off. It shot pretty consistant just over .5 moa.

I'm there with you on the VLD. I have mine .090 off the land's.
7mm mag/168 Bergers. 1/2 moa at 200 yards. Hoping the 7/300
will be just as good.

Hey Guys, great thread. Some day I hope to have half the knowledge and experience as you guys. I'm just starting my first build.

Savage 111 accutrigger
Criterion ss 26" 7mm Rem light varmint 1 in 9 twist
Boyds thumbhole varmint stock will pillar and glass bed
Limbsaver recoil pad
Optics to be determined

I'm planning on using 180 bergers and was hoping someone could give me some starting load info. What kind of velocity can I expect. How far off the lands?

168 bergers?

Thanks Doug.:)

At some point I hope to build a complete custom. a 7-300 win might just be what I choose, but for now its 7MM rem mag.

Hey Twodogs! Looks like you are gonna have a shooter. The load I use for my 7mm mag, 71gr H-1000,CCI 250 mag primers,168 Berger, Winchester brass, about 3050fps. Your rifle might like it more or less. This is just what mine likes,(26in barrel). Hope this helps.

DT

good afternoon gentlemen, have a question for Broz about the 7mm-300. what tool or method of measuring are you using for bullet depth or O.A.L with the 180 gr. bergers. i own a m70 in this cal. w/24 in barrel. i would like to try these out

good afternoon gentlemen, have a question for Broz about the 7mm-300. what tool or method of measuring are you using for bullet depth or O.A.L with the 180 gr. bergers. i own a m70 in this cal. w/24 in barrel. i would like to try these out

I use one of the Hornaday (stonet Point) OAL tools to measure with, and a Hornaday bullet comparator on my calipers.

Jeff

Read this thread a lot and Broz helped me with quite a few questions. I just received my 7-300win a couple weeks ago and I am in the barrel break in process.

The freebore on my reamer is only .180 and this will give me the option of using a uni throater if I need more freebore to shoot the 180 bergers over 3100 or if I need more jump for accuracy.

I am shooting the 162 Amax for the break in process and I will probably continue to use them this season for a sheep hunt. The barrel seems a bit slow as of now according to the chronograph. I have not verified the velocities.

Here are the numbers. 77.5 H1000 avg is 3071 with sd of 9. 76 retumbo avg 3027 avg with sd of 10. Both loads are 1/2 to 3/4 moa at 100 yds.

The specs on the loads are this. The amaxs are .010 off the lands and the new brass shoulder is moving .011 forward after being fired. I am also using federal 215m primers with Norma brass.

The rifle was put together by ssg/ Nate dagley. Defiance action with a 27 inch Brux and his mini xtreme break in a manners stock. I will update with pics later on and more info as I get more time invested into in. I only have 15 rounds through it at this time.

I know the round may be better suited for the 180 vld with more freebore, but I will most likely stick to the 162 Amax this season.

I just did a 6.5-300wm and when I get my 7mm necker and throater I'll build my 7-300wm. I set mine up for 162 Amax's too with a COL of around 3.61 or 3.62 if I remember correctly. That way it would work in a standard mag box.

Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

That's a great sounding cartridge, and win mag cases are easy to buy. I wonder why it hasn't been done more? Seems like a no brainer. 190 grain 7mm bullets are just around the corner too.

Shooting it some more. The tight chamber is slowing it down by increasing pressure at lower charges. I think.

Shot some 180 vlds tonight and it was holding 1/4 moa with 73.5 h1000. And primers are flattening a little. I will check velocity in the next day or so.

I did shoot the 162 Amax with 77 gr of retumbo a couple days ago at 400 yards and three shots were under 3/4 inch. But the six hundred yard group had a vertical flier in it. 7.5 inches higher than two that were within an inch of each other. So, no bueno with the retumbo.

The ogive measurement on the 180 vlds is 2.855 for the chamber. I loaded them .005 off at 2.850.

Read a little on the primer flattening. I don't think my pressures are as high as I was assuming. I am going to try 74.5 to 76 of h1000 with the 180s in the morning.

Last edited:
I finally got to shoot mine today. I shot 70-75grs of H-1000 with 162 Amax's. I loaded 2 at 70grs to get it on paper and then shot 71-75grs in a ladder. 72-75 tore one big hole. Then I shot a 3 shot group with 73grs (a random guess as 70 and 73 were the only ones I loaded more than 1 round for) and it shot .342" with the velocity at 3113, 3109, and 3106. 75grs isn't to hot and the velocity is 3181 so I'll try that next. The vertical group to the right of the dot in the picture is the ladder and the 3 shot group with 73grs is below the dot.

The rifle is a Rem. 700 SS action with a Schneider #5 contour 5P 9 twist barrel. The barrel is 27" long because I couldn't decide between 26" and 28" so I went 27". Right now it's in a Rem. 40x wood stock but will end up in a light weight High Tech Specialties stock. It currently has a 6.5x20 Leupold on it.

Attachments

• 7-300wm groups 005.jpg
    7-300wm groups 005.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 119
  • 7-300wm groups 006.jpg
    7-300wm groups 006.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 106
Found the load that is too hot. 76 gr. of H1000 with the 180 vlds is too much in this gun. It fires fine but the bolt lift is stiff. After three shots it gets hard to lift the bolt. I did have the chrono on and this load is running 3100 fps. So, velocity getting where I would like it but too much pressure. I will back off a grain and hopefully be set.

Found the load that is too hot. 76 gr. of H1000 with the 180 vlds is too much in this gun. It fires fine but the bolt lift is stiff. After three shots it gets hard to lift the bolt. I did have the chrono on and this load is running 3100 fps. So, velocity getting where I would like it but too much pressure. I will back off a grain and hopefully be set.

What brass is that load in?

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.