Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

I am going by what Bryan told me when I talked to him. Bryan could give a full scientific explanation, but as I understand it, it is related to air density.

Stability of the bullet is affected by the forward resistance of the air that the bullet passes through, aka drag. The denser the air, the greater the resistance. The higher the altitude, the lower the air density. This is a simple way of explaining why bullets are easier to stabilize at higher elevations.

Apparently 8.5" is the minimum twist rate that will stabilize this bullet under any conditions.

I ordered two 7mm barrels from Barlein a few weeks ago. They had the prints for the 195's said 8.5 was the slowest you could use. They suggested 8.25 so that is what I went with.

Thank you for the input on the new bullet. I will be watching for any new info as it comes!

I live at 7200 ft, but will still likely go with an 8.5 twist..........just in case I ever find myself at lower elevations:D

I wonder how many times I have read this thread. Seems like to some extent, "the best of all worlds" lol

So I am a little new to this custom stuff, I have only bought shelf rifles and did what I needed to do to make them shoot. Someday I would like to have a custom gun though.

So in theory, once I have shot my 7mm RM Sendero's barrel out, I could put another barrel on it, and then have it reamed for this? Is my magazine in my Sendero big enough to hold these long rounds?????

From what I know, the mod 700 rem whether 7mm mag or 300 mag use the same action an magazine! Really depends on your OAL. Some OAL are longer, some shorter! The 7/300 I'm building will use the regular magazine, because my OAL will fit. Hope this help's!

DT

From what I know, the mod 700 rem whether 7mm mag or 300 mag use the same action an magazine! Really depends on your OAL. Some OAL are longer, some shorter! The 7/300 I'm building will use the regular magazine, because my OAL will fit. Hope this help's!

DT

It does help actually. I am highly intrigued by this caliber. Thanks

I think elsewhere in this tread is the name of a larger magazine box in the event that your OAL is longer than most! I'm still in the dark about some of this wildcatting stuff, but there are a lot of guys on this tread that really know their stuff! I've learned a lot on this tread, even though I've reloaded for bout 30 yrs! These guys are good with help an info!!

DT

I think elsewhere in this tread is the name of a larger magazine box in the event that your OAL is longer than most! I'm still in the dark about some of this wildcatting stuff, but there are a lot of guys on this tread that really know their stuff! I've learned a lot on this tread, even though I've reloaded for bout 30 yrs! These guys are good with help an info!!

DT

Agreed. I have a buddy that has helped me with reloading and basically just lets me use all his stuff, which is great. The funny part is, if I try to talk to him about some of this stuff, he just shakes his head, thinks I'm loopy. So therefore if I need any special stuff for reloading, I buy it, and tell him he is free to use it if he wants. He hasn't yet though. lol It is a great thread though, and I think some of these wildcats are pretty good. It's funny that I never found this thread till a few days ago and have read it a ton of times. I have always thought "hmmm, seems a 7mm bullet and 300mag case would be a good match." Seems I wasn't as loopy as I thought lol

No! You are not loopy! I've had this idea for years, just didn't know enough to do it! It's probley the most efficient 7mm you'll ever come across in my book!( but that's just me!) I really don't go long, under 1000 yards, but this is the round I've been looking for! Good luck with yours!! I don't think you will be disappointed!

DT

Great thread guys really fun to read and great information. which brings me to few questions. The 180grn vld seams to be the one to go to for this round has any one tried the 200gr wildcats? Was mentioned earlier in thread only that one would get around 2900fp+. With all things accounted for accuracy, mv. etc.. does any one think the 200's would be use full in hunting situations deer elk etc.. possibly to 1k? has anyone tried the 200,s in a 7rum or 7stw. I know the 7AM shoots them well. just curious 15 20grns prob won't make much diff. as long as accuracy and placement were in order. What ya think? This round deffinetly has my wheels turning.

what is the shortest this round can be set with 180 bergers and not start loosing powder to the bullet being so far down in the case? i would like to build one of these on a howa 1500 long action and my mag box is pretty short but it is currently a 7mm rem mag.

what is the shortest this round can be set with 180 bergers and not start loosing powder to the bullet being so far down in the case? i would like to build one of these on a howa 1500 long action and my mag box is pretty short but it is currently a 7mm rem mag.

The freebore on my reamer is .180 and it is 'short' in the manner that it does affect velocity. But it is very accurate with 162 AMAX and 180 VLD. The 180 VLD will still clear 3000 fps but they are not getting to the 3150 fps area I had planned on.

I have thought about using a throating reamer to get more speed but I cannot mess with it for how accurate it shoots.

I can give you the cartridge overall length later.