300 Win Mag v. 7mm-300 Win Mag

jski

Having limited experience with the 300 Win Mag, I've been reading about the wildcat
7mm-300 Win Mag. I've watch some videos showing >1 mile shots with the 7mm-300. I don't believe that's possible with a 300 Win Mag?

So my question is: How much does necking down to 7mm and adding a bullet with a better BC add to the 300 Win Mag range?

Actually neither would be a good cartridge for 1 mile shooting. Now that dosent mean they cant be shot to that distance because obviously they can be.
But shooting with accuracy is another matter.
Some days you might do fairly well, but for the most part they don't measure up well for that type distance compared to larger cartridges.
The powder capacity just isn't there.

You can shoot to a mile with either one just fine.
I shoot 180 class bullets at 3150 out of a 28" barrel in my 7x300.
It's stays super sonic past 2000 yards.
The the two biggest advantages of the 7x300 are flatter trajectory, and less recoil.
Reduced barrel life is probably the biggest concern for most people.
To answer your question specifically, I would say the 7x300 adds nothing when it comes to range. A 215 hybrid at 2900fps will run about the same, it just kicks a little more.

You can shoot to a mile with either one just fine.
I shoot 180 class bullets at 3150 out of a 28" barrel in my 7x300.
It's stays super sonic past 2000 yards.
The the two biggest advantages of the 7x300 are flatter trajectory, and less recoil.
Reduced barrel life is probably the biggest concern for most people.
To answer your question specifically, I would say the 7x300 adds nothing when it comes to range. A 215 hybrid at 2900fps will run about the same, it just kicks a little more.
Well ive said it can be done, but not nearly as well as with larger cartridges. Which is why the extreme distance shooters don't use them.
As for a hunting cartridge, and from the standpoint of effectiveness on larger animals, id suggest talking to those who actually use them for their opinion on distance. I mean you can also put 100 concrete block on a half ton pickup, but should you?
A mile is one helluva lot further than it sounds when sitting around talking about it. And most here who do, have never actually tried it or even watched as someone else did, except on a video where everything is possible. I have 2 7x300 Weatherbys
which are better balisticly than the Win Mag.
I don't use the heavy bullets because 162s shoot flatter than they do out to 1200 yds because of my velocity (3400), and in my opinion that is about where its time for more gun. I have killed a deer slightly beyond that distance with one but see no need to try it again. Mind you now im talking heavy PA air.
Lets go shoot some guns, then we can talk with some level of actuall hands on experience.
As for the 308 it is a great cartridge, we burn lots of ammo in them practice shooting at rocks in order to save the barrels on the hunting guns. But again, don't be kidding yourself about it's capability.

Well ive said it can be done, but not nearly as well as with larger cartridges. Which is why the extreme distance shooters don't use them.
As for a hunting cartridge, and from the standpoint of effectiveness on larger animals, id suggest talking to those who actually use them for their opinion on distance. I mean you can also put 100 concrete block on a half ton pickup, but should you?
A mile is one helluva lot further than it sounds when sitting around talking about it. And most here who do, have never actually tried it or even watched as someone else did, except on a video where everything is possible. I have 2 7x300 Weatherbys
which are better balisticly than the Win Mag.
I don't use the heavy bullets because 162s shoot flatter than they do out to 1200 yds because of my velocity (3400), and in my opinion that is about where its time for more gun. I have killed a deer slightly beyond that distance with one but see no need to try it again. Mind you now im talking heavy PA air.
Lets go shoot some guns, then we can talk with some level of actuall hands on experience.
As for the 308 it is a great cartridge, we burn lots of ammo in them practice shooting at rocks in order to save the barrels on the hunting guns. But again, don't be kidding yourself about it's capability.
Question on your 7-300wby. What do you think you could push the 195EOL and would you have a suggestion on throat length? I have a bunch of 300 brass and a 8.3-8tw just begging to be built. Thanks

Question on your 7-300wby. What do you think you could push the 195EOL and would you have a suggestion on throat length? I have a bunch of 300 brass and a 8.3-8tw just begging to be built. Thanks
Well I really cant say, as ive mentioned I did try the 180s when they hit the market and found they didn't perform as well as for trajectory at 1200 yds as the 162s do in my gun. I don't really feel I need a heavier bullet for the energy factor on what I use the gun for either. I feel strongly about moving on to a larger case after a certain distance, especially when hunting, and not try to just use a heavier bullet because it has a higher BC.
It's sorta like shoving corn up a hogs butt in order to make it fatter imop. lol
If I were young and starting over, I don't believe id have any 7mm for long range hunting. Not saying they aren't a good cartridge, just saying there are better ones for how/where we hunt, so why not just use them since they all cost about the same.
Im getting 3400 with 190s in my 300 Norma also, so why take less from a 7mm?
And frankly thats not a good 1 mile gun either, even with different bullets.
It's a short season, enough to deal with what we cant control, so at least attempt to control what you can with the equipment, and the places you choose to hunt as for distance.

Having limited experience with the 300 Win Mag, I've been reading about the wildcat
7mm-300 Win Mag. I've watch some videos showing >1 mile shots with the 7mm-300. I don't believe that's possible with a 300 Win Mag?

So my question is: How much does necking down to 7mm and adding a bullet with a better BC add to the 300 Win Mag range?

The "NUT" behind the trigger has a lot to do with it. For what it is worth ...

Last edited:
Well I really cant say, as ive mentioned I did try the 180s when they hit the market and found they didn't perform as well as for trajectory at 1200 yds as the 162s do in my gun. I don't really feel I need a heavier bullet for the energy factor on what I use the gun for either. I feel strongly about moving on to a larger case after a certain distance, especially when hunting, and not try to just use a heavier bullet because it has a higher BC.
It's sorta like shoving corn up a hogs butt in order to make it fatter imop. lol
If I were young and starting over, I don't believe id have any 7mm for long range hunting. Not saying they aren't a good cartridge, just saying there are better ones for how/where we hunt, so why not just use them since they all cost about the same.
Im getting 3400 with 190s in my 300 Norma also, so why take less from a 7mm?
And frankly thats not a good 1 mile gun either, even with different bullets.
It's a short season, enough to deal with what we cant control, so at least attempt to control what you can with the equipment, and the places you choose to hunt as for distance.
Not looking for something beyond about 1200 as that is as far as I have to shoot. May sell or trade the barrel for 9tw. This will be used more for coyotes/steel than anything so energy on target won't be an issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.