Anyone own a 7mm 300 Win Mag?

Ok Broz (and others), lets see if I can put this into words. I have been pretty set on building a new 300 WM, but I every time I update myself on this thread, I get to questioning which one is "better" (realizing that is a loaded question).

When I run the ballistics on the two (180 VLD @ 3150 fps vs 215 Hybrid @ 3000 fps) they are basically identical. With my inputs, the 215 has about 200 ft-lbs more energy at 1000 yards. Velocity and wind drift are within negligible margins of each other. Obviously the faster 180 is flatter, but that doesn't matter to me.

So, from what you have seen between your 300 with 215's compared to the 7/300's you have been around, have you noticed any difference in killing ability on game, all distances near to far considered?

Thank you for any input you or others might have on this. Trying to make a decision.........

Ok Broz (and others), lets see if I can put this into words. I have been pretty set on building a new 300 WM, but I every time I update myself on this thread, I get to questioning which one is "better" (realizing that is a loaded question).

When I run the ballistics on the two (180 VLD @ 3150 fps vs 215 Hybrid @ 3000 fps) they are basically identical. With my inputs, the 215 has about 200 ft-lbs more energy at 1000 yards. Velocity and wind drift are within negligible margins of each other. Obviously the faster 180 is flatter, but that doesn't matter to me.

So, from what you have seen between your 300 with 215's compared to the 7/300's you have been around, have you noticed any difference in killing ability on game, all distances near to far considered?

Thank you for any input you or others might have on this. Trying to make a decision.........
Run the 195 grain eol with its .794 g1 bc at 3000 fps and then procede to pick your jaw up off the floor. :) gun)

Riley

Pardon my ignorince, but are you talking about the 195eol in what caliber? 284 or 30 cal. Just thought I would ask, because I'm in the process of building a 7/300 now! Just asking. Thanks!

DT

Pardon my ignorince, but are you talking about the 195eol in what caliber? 284 or 30 cal. Just thought I would ask, because I'm in the process of building a 7/300 now! Just asking. Thanks!

DT

The 7mm 195 Berger EOL is on the horizon and getting closer. Advertised BC is like Riley stated .794 G1. That should be substantially better in the wind than my 215 with a G1 of .696. So I would probably go with an 8 1/2 twist and build for that Bullet.

I would also expect 3000 fps would be an easy number to get and maybe more with the right brass and a 28" tube or longer.

Jeff

.284, its gonna take anything from a 284 win up to new levels! gun)
for comparison the 180 grain hybrid has a g1 bc of .674

has berger released a time frame on the 195gr. eol bullet. i cannot find any info except here on its exitance. have a model 70 in this cal. working on rebarrelling a m700

the latest from Eric Stecker

A few thoughts from the horse's mouth on the 7mm 195 gr.

The bullet tooling is finished and has been tested with successful results. This means that we can make bullets that match the design dimensions, nothing more. We used prototype jackets since the length of the jacket we needed was not certain.

Now that the length of the jacket needed is known we have it in our schedule to make standard issue, J4 match grade jackets. The fact is that the election has us overwhelmed with demand. This means only that we can't get these jackets made tomorrow but they will be made soon.

Then, they will be sent to Bob and a few other folks (Kirby for one) to be tested and abused. If these tests prove to be positive then the bullets will be regularly available as soon as we make more (once the test results are confirmed). I won't BS you. This could take 2 to 12 month depending on what happens during the testing phase.

I'll remind everyone that this is a totally new concept. It is in fact not as close to the recently tested 270 cal 170 gr bullet as Bob posted about. The 170 gr is outside the norm but not nearly as much as the 195 gr. Having said that, the 270 cal 170 gr has performed well in abuse testing and is now going to terminal performance testing. The good news is that so far everything looks good.

Something to keep in mind about the 7mm 195 gr, we are making it with the idea in mind that it will be pushed hard in larger cases. The heavier weight and sleek design is a big leap forward in performance (if it works). In smaller cases much MV will be lost due to the heavy weight which may produce a wash in performance compared to 180 gr bullets.

I'll admit that this is a generalization based on no factual testing data at this time but I don't want anyone to think that we are creating the next lazer beam. It is still a bullet subject to all the same influences and physics realities as every other bullet.

Regards,
Eric

Bryan reccommends a 8.5 but i am building a 284 win around this bullet and i will only be getting around 2575 fps so i am going with a 8 twist 24" brux.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.