Anyone familiar with the 6.5 Creedmor?

Well, it is a fruit full endeavor. Plenty of guys are doing it. . There are easy ways to get around the scrunchy necks ect. And its easy to make Creedmoor brass from 22/250 brass and that stuff is almost as common as dirt. Try doing that for 260 brass.
The op asked about the 6.5 Creedmoor. Not the 260.
Get defensive much? I was just showing him another option in the short-action 6.5's.

And why would I try to open up .22-250 brass into .260, when it's a simple trip from .308 down to .260?

I had a Ruger short action re-barreled as a 6.5 Creedmoor by ER Shaw. The rifle shoots very well, but I will offer this warning: This case works better in a push feed action. If I don't run the bolt smartly, the case sometimes falls out from under the extractor claw before it hits the ejector blade at the end of the rearward stroke. It has never happened when cycling fast, just when I get lazy or slow. If I were to build another, I would use a savage action to avoid this (small but) annoying quirk.

Attachments

• Memorial Day Range Time 015.jpg
    Memorial Day Range Time 015.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 48
Same as always.
260 is a little faster, easier to form etc...
6.5 cm is the new kid on the block...

I shoot a 260, buddy shoots a 6.5 cm. No difference until you start to push them for any given bullet weight then the 260 wins the fps race.

It's a difficult choice. There is really one difference. When seating long, the CM is a shorter case and may have a COAL that will still fit the magazine, the 260 is less likely too.

The accuracy of both makes this a difference firearm to firearm.

I had a Ruger short action re-barreled as a 6.5 Creedmoor by ER Shaw. The rifle shoots very well, but I will offer this warning: This case works better in a push feed action. If I don't run the bolt smartly, the case sometimes falls out from under the extractor claw before it hits the ejector blade at the end of the rearward stroke. It has never happened when cycling fast, just when I get lazy or slow. If I were to build another, I would use a savage action to avoid this (small but) annoying quirk.
That looks like a nice little range that probably never gets crowded... I wish my range was about 1/2 that size with one of those nice covered concrete shooting areas and stretched out to about 1000-1,500 yards. But was also in my backyard as my private range. That would be cool.

I have looked very closely at the 260 Rem. v.s. the 6.5 Creedmoor. There was an excellent article on the 6.5 cartridges in Shooting Times' "Guide to Long Range Accuracy" issue (Feb. 2013). Basically there is not much difference in the two cartridges given average velocities.

I went with the 6.5 Creedmoor round because that's what Ruger was offering in their Predator version of the American rifle. Also I know that if I really need the extra range and velocity I can go with Hornady's excellent "Superformance" high velocity rounds.

To quote the Shooting Times article, "The biggest problem with the 260 (Rem.) was its short throat. You get a lot of case intrusion with the bigger bullets. While the Creedmoor gives up 2.5 to 3 grains of case capacity, it is a much more efficient case design and works better with long match bullets."

With that in mind, and competition my main use of the Predator, I settled on the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Swatman,

Ruger's American will soon (August) be selling their new Predator version with a varmint weight barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor. I've got one on order.

Try 129 gr. Hornady A-Max match bullets in it. Really flat shooting.

Swatman,

Ruger will soon (August) be releasing their new American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor
It has a varmint weight barrel pre-threaded for a muzzle brake or suppressor.

I have one on order! :D

I had the chance of shooting an out of the box weatherby vanguard 2 in a 6.5 creedmoor that was being used for a long range shooting school I wasn't going to the school, I just happened to know the guy putting it on he had about 10 of them and said they all shot 3/4" or better @ 100 yds using 140g A-max factory hornandy ammo he said some of them shot as well as 1/2" we took one of the ones that shot 1/2" up to the range and in 4 shots with a varying wind @1000 yds I shot a 16 oz arrowhead water bottle not bad for an out of the box rifle under $700 with off the shelf ammo in fact I was so impressed enough I will be buying my wife one for a deer hunting gun and for me to take up to the range and mess around with from what I heard you can get 5000+ rounds out of them until the barrel is junk and I am in no way a big weatherby fan at all in fact that is only the second weatherby I have shot in my life and I wasn't a fan at all of the first one

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.