Anyone familiar with the 6.5 Creedmor?

Swatman05

I am wanting to find a good rifle in 6.5Creedmor. I am seeking advice on rifle selection as well as Optics selection. I plan on using it for long range shooting and hunting. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Great round, similar to a 260 and 6.5 Lapua. Most of the rifles chambered in it are going to be custom builds. I was working as a range officer at one of the PRS shoots and I bet 75% of the shooter were running 6.5 and most were Creedmoor. I shoot the Lapua and love it.

Ive seen that savage, ruger and remington all over rifles in 6.5 Creedmoor. Any suggestions on these brands? I love Remington personally

take a look at the savage web sight, they have several offerings in the creedmore at you.re price point, predator max 1, long range hunter. for a couple hundy more you could step up to the model 12 LRP JMO E

I have a shooting buddy that has one in the Savage brand and it will shoot tiny little groups at varying distances. Either this caliber or the 6 x 284 will be my next purchase.

I shoot a rebarreled savage in 6.5 creedmore and have had and shot 3 of the ruger mark ll targets in this caliber all shot really good with hornady or Berger 140 gr and reloader 17.I just like savage.We shot out to 1000 and hunt out to 700 with them.

Ruger just came out with the varmint weight barreled Ruger American Predator.
It has a heavier "varmint weight" barrel that is threaded at the muzzle with a muzzle thread protector cap. Unlike all other American models the Predartor has a sage green stock.

I have one in 6.5 Creedmoor on order. I like it so well I've put my Ruger American 22-250 up for sale at a local gunshop. BTW, The 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge in the Predator won't be available until around mid August.

I'm getting this rifle for dual use in both coyote hunting and long range competition. The ballistics are FAR better than the .308/7.62 NATO. At 500 yds. with a 129 gr. Hornady SST bullet with a .485 BC, you get a drop of 39.5 inches with a velocity of 2059 fps.

To ready it for competition I'll put on an adjustable Karsten cheekpiece, fill the stock with RTV and add a Muscle Brake for recoil management. Likely I'll also remove the sling studs and replace them with QR flush cups.

Competitors use the 6.5 Creedmoor because it is not a heavy recoiling round, is flat shooting, not a barrel burner and can accommodate longer, heavier bullets with good BCs.

Of course if you want to duplicate or even surpass .300 Win mag ballistics with less recoil you can go to the 6.5-284 Norma. It's a former wildcat that was so successful that Norma standardized it and got it SAAMI certified.
Those Swedes love the 6.5 cartridges. The original 6.5 is the Swedish military round from the 1890s. It's still a great deer cartridge.

Look into the .260 Remington. Tried & true. More velocty. More powder. Similar recoil. It's also simple to make brass for out of .308 Win and 7mm-08 brass. Wheras it is virtually impossible to make 6.5 Creed brass out of .308.

MudRunner2005. Wheras it is virtually impossible to make 6.5 Creed brass out of .308.[/QUOTE said:
Mud ; your a good guy
But that is patently FALSE. a bunch of guys are turning their Lake City and other brands of 308 brass into 6.5 Creedmoor.
I'm not saying the 260 isn't a good round but its not one dot Better than the 6.5 Cm. And the Creed is already set up for excellent accuracy and proformance right out of the box. !!!!
My factory Ruger Hawkeye SS is shooting in the .3 s with the only metal work being trimming/ fileing a schosh on the mag box. . Snipping a little over 1 coil off the trigger spring and putting itin a Boyd's laminate stock . Tho that's not metal work. The rifle now officially easily out shoots me. Consistently

It's gonna take ALOT more work to turn it into 6.5 CM than it would .260 Rem.... I've turned 7mm STW brass into .300 Wby brass for forming to .300 Ackley. It worked, but not very well. The necks got all scrunchy and it looked like crap. Even blew a few of them out at the neck/shoulder junction. So i just started using new .300 Wby brass, and all was well after that.

Scaled from one cartridge to the other, it would be about on the same scale of re-forming.

I just don't see it being a fruitful endeavor without specialty dies to neck them down. It would not be a simple one-trip pass through like it would going from .308 to .260, since all that really is just the neck dimensions, and a slight bit of shoulder narrowing near the neck.

Well, it is a fruit full endeavor. Plenty of guys are doing it. . There are easy ways to get around the scrunchy necks ect. And its easy to make Creedmoor brass from 22/250 brass and that stuff is almost as common as dirt. Try doing that for 260 brass.
The op asked about the 6.5 Creedmoor. Not the 260.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.