Anyone else using rl-17?

Use RL-17 in:

284 win 23" barrel, 3050 with moly 160 accubond
6mm Rem 24" barrel, 3300 with 100 gr nosler partition
338 RCM 22" barrel, 2750 with 225 accubond
338 RCM 30" barrel long throated, 300 gr Berger hybrid 2575

After seeing this thread I may have to give it a try with my 375 Taylor (338 win mag necked up)

I started playing with RL-17 in a Lazzeroni Patriot (shorter fatter 300WSM). With the 168 TTSX & 215M, my first chono session shows 5 shot average velocity of 3400fps. Now whether or not that was a fluke I can't say but I am willing to bet is isn't. It's a solid 200fps over what Lazzeroni data specs. Near Ultra Mag velocity in a short mag is kinda fun!

I'm now on the third or fourth reloading of this brass, so i'm going to say pressure is still pretty good....

gun)

I started playing with RL-17 in a Lazzeroni Patriot (shorter fatter 300WSM). With the 168 TTSX & 215M, my first chono session shows 5 shot average velocity of 3400fps. Now whether or not that was a fluke I can't say but I am willing to bet is isn't. It's a solid 200fps over what Lazzeroni data specs. Near Ultra Mag velocity in a short mag is kinda fun!

I'm now on the third or fourth reloading of this brass, so i'm going to say pressure is still pretty good....

gun)

I wouldn't guess that's a fluke.... from the data I've been researching I've seen the 300a wsm avg 3100-3200 fps with the rl 17 165 gr bullet so if you have more powder capacity then it would make sense. Nice speeds

300WSM / 180 Accubond .015 off lands/ RL-17 / Fed. 215
95*f with a thunderstorm rapidly building directly above me. Winds 15-20 swirling, & gusting.
Brand New barrel brake in, & load work up. First shots fired (other than my smith proof shooting it). So, between bbl break in, & horrible conditions, these groups may not be real accurate indicators, but here goes:

63gr- Sub moa, barely. 5 shots group
-quick, but thurough cleaning of the bore.
64- Sub Moa barely, 5 shot group
-Cleaned thuroughly, & cooled thuroughly to ambient temp.....of 95* freakin degrees....:rolleyes:
65-Hated it bad, over 1.5 Moa!! 5 shot group.
-Quick, but thurough cleaning.
65.5- two thru same hole twice fifth a bit high (could've been me) about 3/4 moa 5 shot group.
-noticed slightly stiffer bolt-
-didn't clean, because I wondered if 66 gr in a hot chamber, & bbl would show more pressure, so shot next string with 1.5 min between shots while brass warmed in chamber.:cool:
66- two touching twice one high & between the two. About 3/4 moa 5 shot group.
Slightly heavier bolt than 65.5gr. No flattened or cratered primers. No shiny marks in brass. No other indicators other than the "feel & sound" of the gun durring recoil, & your "senses" knew you were about there, & 66 was a good stopping point.

I hunt Hells Canyon in August for bear, where 115-118*f isn't unheard of. So I do my load work up on the hottest days I can to check for pressure signs. This was also my reasoning for not cleaning, but rather, warming up my brass in the chamber between 65.5 & 66gr.
I just don't know without a doubt that I'd trust this load in that heat. So the Load work up will likely continue with a different powder.

I was prone out of the back of my pickup..... May also have contributed to poor groups:rolleyes: I need to adjust my trigger down another pound or so too.
I'll be experimenting with RL-19 next. I know I'll loose some velocity, but it works beautifully in 3 other Shortmag I load for (all chambered in 270WSM tho).

gun) Keep building on this thread guys. Accurate Data for RL-17 is just not too easy to find.gun)

Just did this about a hour ago. Got reading this thread so giving RE17 a try. 54,54.5 and 55 grains were starting to pop pretty good but the brass and primers looked good. Tomorrow will run it a little farther just to see.

I like what I see. I have just enough 190 grain Bergers left to test tomorrow also along with the Accubond.

Also I did not let the barrel cool maybe a minute max between shots

30-06.....90 degrees bright sun

RE 17....200gr Accubond....Fed 210's .070 off 3.40 OAL

Grains FPS

52......2590 **** Hmmmm!

very nice, keep up posted..
i talked to my friend and were going to try to get mine threw the chrono maybe wens night. will let everyone know if the speeds hold true to my load as well

Tomorrow will run it a little farther just to see.

Hey kc

I am not averse to pushing the limit upon occasion but I would recommend that you do not push any further. It may be that the limit will be reached without exhibited pressure signs.

After all, 2800 fps with a 190 or 200 gr bullet will blow the top off of most Quickload programs as far as pressure goes. You have to be approaching that point where something has to give. I hit 2750 fps and backed down to 2725 and called it good.

Just be very cautious

Hey kc

I am not averse to pushing the limit upon occasion but I would recommend that you do not push any further. It may be that the limit will be reached without exhibited pressure signs.

After all, 2800 fps with a 190 or 200 gr bullet will blow the top off of most Quickload programs as far as pressure goes. You have to be approaching that point where something has to give. I hit 2750 fps and backed down to 2725 and called it good.

Just be very cautious

Thanks Woods "noted" You know that 200 grain Accubond at 2700 fps in a -06 is not too shabby. It gets that thing out to about 750 yards before the fps falls away. It was warm today I just wonder what it would be at 20 degrees?

Thanks Woods "noted" You know that 200 grain Accubond at 2700 fps in a -06 is not too shabby. It gets that thing out to about 750 yards before the fps falls away. It was warm today I just wonder what it would be at 20 degrees?

That's impressive! I'll bet my 300WSM would only shove 2900+/- with a 200AB, (with different powder of course) Congrats on some Smokin velocity with accuracy!! I'll bet at 20*f, durring Elk season, it'd be a bit slower, but not by a whole lot.

Sorry for the stupid disclaimer, But like Woods stated, & like you already agreed with, keep it safe. Folks google loads, & LRH popps up constantly in thier searches. I know your fully aware of where your at with your rifle, & your a more than competent handloader. It's not you I'm typing this for.

Just finished up an unlikely combination. 230 gr Berger hybrid match with 300 WSM and RL-17.
Bullet had to be buried in the case to fit and feed from the Browning A-bolt's short magazine. Worked up to 62 grains with no pressure. Backed down to 61 grs which was more accurate. Vel from that short 22" or maybe 23" barrel with BOSS is 2720 fps.

DSCF0004_zpsb7f15996.jpg

That's good to know azshooter because I want to go to 210's after this season is over.

I worked up a new load... 185 berger vld hunting, 60 gr rl-17, cci #200's primer, necked to fit in the magazine shooting 2960fps. If I choose to stay with this load I will bump up the powder for better speed but it shot sub MOA and season is coming up fast so I left it for now

I have been running 56 gr of rl 17 and 162 amaxes in my 280ai. It is a dope confirmed 3050 @ 750 asl. I had been shooting it in matches. I noticed last year at the mammoth my dope was a little high in the summer but not worth dealing with. This was my exclusive go to load until the summer PMG match this year. Temps were in the 100s and I thought I was going to blow it. I stopped shooting it the first day and went home. RL 17 has shown me to be unstable in extreme temps. I will not shoot it in a match load anymore. I am not throwing away my loaded rounds. I have a hunting gun built on the same reamer so I am going to continue to hunt with the same load as it will always be in cooler temps. If you have big swings in your temps where u shoot/hunt be carefully with those max loads. They can turn ugly. I am pretty sure there is no other powder for this class cartridge that u can get these speeds from. My accuracy was also stellar but, anymore I have learned if the right guy builds it they all shoot good. Some just better than others.
My thoughts and opinions,
T

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.