RL-17

I have been using RL 17 for a while loading Hornady 140 ELDM's in RPR 26 in barrel. I settled on 40.7 g, velocity 2685 fps and sd's less than 10.

Hey fellows, I wanted to share my results. I did find that I had a pound of RL-16 so I went with it with the Berger 140 gr VLD instead of the RL-17. Please look 42.6 gr and 42.8 gr stdev & spread, I don't understand!

Attachments

• 6.5 loads with Berger 140 VLD & RL-16.JPG
    6.5 loads with Berger 140 VLD & RL-16.JPG
    348.7 KB · Views: 123
Hey fellows, I wanted to share my results. I did find that I had a pound of RL-16 so I went with it with the Berger 140 gr VLD instead of the RL-17. Please look 42.6 gr and 42.8 gr stdev & spread, I don't understand!
If you didn't have a chrono, what would you do? I would go further out and test 42.6, - 42.8 again. Or, try seating depth with 42.7. No expert here

I think I have found the node, just can't understand the stdev's and spread. Three shot groups with the 42.8 gr darn near three bullets in the same hole with terrible stdev's and spread. I will reload and do some more testing. I have found I have one of those barrels that likes to jump Berger bullets .030" rather than being in the lands.

I think I have found the node, just can't understand the stdev's and spread. Three shot groups with the 42.8 gr darn near three bullets in the same hole with terrible stdev's and spread. I will reload and do some more testing. I have found I have one of those barrels that likes to jump Berger bullets .030" rather than being in the lands.
At that range it is tough for me to see a good node. Go shoot that thing and post more pics! :)

It looks like 42.6 & 42.8 will shoot. You gave us average speeds but not the speed of the individual rds, I bet on 42.8 charge it was one shot that skewed your numbers. What chrono was used? I would re-shoot these 2 charges, something is amiss.

What chrono are you using? If it's a light dependent one then I wouldnt put alot of trust into it. They will get you close, but can give you off the wall readings. I used to use a pro chrony now I use a magnetospeed.

You are right! one shot was faster than the other two. I'm still using a Caldwell chrono.

42.8 gr (stdev 38.2, spread 68 FSP) tighter group
1 2930
2 2926
3 2994

42.6 (stdev 1.2, spread 2 FSP)
1 2942
2 2940
3 2942

It just seems that the group would have been spread a little more with stdev and spread that I got with the 42.8 gr charge. Who Knows, I will reload 5 3-shot groups and get an average. What's your thoughts?

I do use the lower end Caldwell but I did turn the lights on to get the best reading possible. I reckon I need to step up and invest in a better chrono.

You are right! one shot was faster than the other two. I'm still using a Caldwell chrono.

42.8 gr (stdev 38.2, spread 68 FSP) tighter group
1 2930
2 2926
3 2994

42.6 (stdev 1.2, spread 2 FSP)
1 2942
2 2940
3 2942

It just seems that the group would have been spread a little more with stdev and spread that I got with the 42.8 gr charge. Who Knows, I will reload 5 3-shot groups and get an average. What's your thoughts?
I may be wrong here, but I have seen this before, being you dropped speed on your 42.8gr charge with one spike, I say your 42.6 gr is at max efficiency of your platform. Going higher will only result in pressure spikes, I suggest you proceed with caution, or work at or under 42.6gr.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.