Rl-17

Gray R

Question guys. If I worked up my load in about 80 degrees I'll be fine moving to colder weather correct? I understand I may lose velocity which is fine but I just want to make sure I'm safe. It shot just as accurate in 80 degrees as it did at 90, but I'm moving to colorado and will encounter temps that will be slightly different than an island in costal georgia and want my bases covered. Thanks all

As was suggested in that other R-17 thread put some cartridges in a cooler on ice to get them nice and cold and see for yourself. Shoot a group of ambient temp loads and compare it to your chilled loads. Should tell you exactly how your load and lot of powder react.

Just my opinion. I think your fine. I use RL17 ALL the time and if your good in hot temps just adjust for the lost velocity when It gets cold. I have shot it from 98 degrees and humid too -20 last winter.

Question guys. If I worked up my load in about 80 degrees I'll be fine moving to colder weather correct? I understand I may lose velocity which is fine but I just want to make sure I'm safe. It shot just as accurate in 80 degrees as it did at 90, but I'm moving to colorado and will encounter temps that will be slightly different than an island in costal georgia and want my bases covered. Thanks all

Based on the below Mfg. info. I feel that you are good to go on both counts.

Here are some facts that I gathered a few years ago from the Mfg. Of Superformance powder, Used in my drop chart for my 338WM. I called late one afternoon and to my surprise I got a humanbeing. He may have been the janitor......I don't know-don't care-did not want to push my luck! I told him who I was and what I wanted to know and he pulled out a book with log tables and told me the following answers to my two questions and they were about what I had guessed so I used them to create a CO drop chart for my SFP Zeiss Victory Diavari 4-16x50 T- FL Riflescope / Rapid Z – 800, (this is not a dial up scope).

My gun loves the factory Hornady Superformance GMX 185gr. round ONLY and here is the data!

Question 1.) The 3,080fps on the end of the box was at what temp.? Answer = 70 F tested

Question 2.) What was the FPS for ZERO F? Answer = 2,997 fps. (that is 83fps-don't know if it was tested or generated).

With this I developed a summary XLS sheet that reflects mucho runs of the Zeiss OPTIMUM Power setting programme so ALL my X hairs are at Zero since I know TEMP-ALT-L.O.S.RANGE.

Good luck. Where in CO are you moving to?

I appreciate the info ole man. And I'm going to be in lakewood. Moving out in a few weeks and super excited.

Need to make sure your POI is the same in the different temps. Mine was not so I move on to a different powder. Loved the accuracy of the RL 17 but hate the temp variance.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.