Anyone else get sick of looking for that "perfect scope" ?

Ok I have yet another question....since both scopes are 30mm tube, is the 50mm objective worth the $100.00 more than the 44mm? Thanks guys

Ok I have yet another question....since both scopes are 30mm tube, is the 50mm objective worth the $100.00 more than the 44mm? Thanks guys

Just depends on whether it is worth it to you based on your hunt situations. The 50mm will gather more light at late twilight than the 44mm. depends on if and how late you hunt in dark woods and if you think that extra 5 minutes or so will help you score.

50mm is heavier and raises the scope so your cheek weld might not be as perfect. So you need something on the back of the stock to raise it some. Especially important at long range.

Bottom line is get what you need based on how you hunt. $100 could be very worth it... or might not.

Quote from Leupold:

"Objective Lens Diameter

Obviously, exit pupil depends on magnification and objective lens diameter. If magnification is increased, exit pupil will decrease, unless the objective lens diameter increases proportionally. 50mm-objective riflescopes will deliver a larger exit pupil and a brighter image in poor light than a similarly powered scope with a smaller objective. Of course, there are tradeoffs with a 50mm scope: higher mounting, greater weight and bulk, and a higher line of sight in relation to the bore line. All of these factors must be considered when deciding on a scope for your style of shooting. In most cases, a scope that delivers a 3.5-5mm exit pupil at a comfortable magnification will be more than adequate for most hunts.

Something else to remember is that contrary to common belief, a larger objective lens does not increase the field of view of a riflescope. It only increases the amount of light entering the scope, and, in the case of scopes using slightly less capable components, it will increase the "sweet spot" at the optical center of the lens, making images appear sharper and more crisp in the center of the field of view."

I have old eyes so the bigger the better.

I have a Swar 3.5 x 18 x 44 and I can tell you those cross hairs do start to disappear in lower light conditions.
And yes, I am having trouble finding just what I want in my price range also.

Last edited:
Barrelnut summed it up very well. I went with the 50mm because the larger size/weight wasn't much over the 44mm, and I wanted to maximize the optical performance.

And to my eyes the VX6 glass is a nice step up over any VX3 I have ever owned, or any of the same weight and similarly priced Vortex optics.

the conclusion I came to with trying to find the perfect scope for a hunting rifle is that although top tier optics are nice especially shooting at paper, you just don't need them to shoot animals at even long range. On top of that I really just do not want to spend $2k on a scope or attach a boat anchor to my rifle.

I started a thread early in 2015 talking about this and Engineering101 had a great response:

"Optics are good enough when you are confident in what is going to happen when you pull the trigger."

i thought that was a very straight forward common sense way to think about scopes, and realized that although no 'perfect' scope is out there, there are several that are plenty good enough.

Ok guys....I will take a very good look at Leupold. I like the look of the vx6 3-18x50 with the firedot4 or illuminated wind plex. I like a simple reticle.
Can I have a different turret installed on that scope so that it is a little friendlier to daily twisting? If so, that may very well be the ticket for me.
Also, is the VX6 and the Mark4 glass the same? If not, which has better glass?
The mark4 didn't appear to have an illuminated reticle that wasn't a mil dot of some sort.
Last question....... does leupold give military discount to prior military? I spent a large part of my career in the military, but have been out for about fifteen years now.

Thanks for all the help. After tonight, I wont be able to log back on till next weekend as I leave in the morning for a wolf hunt in Canada, but please keep the info coming.

In my experience with Leupold If it is considered a premium scope, It has the best glass.

The VX 3 is not a premium Leupold scope , It is a very good mid range scope and the price is reasonable. Prices start a $500.00 plus and go to $1,000.00.

Both the VX6 and the mark 4 are premium scopes. the VX6 scopes start at $1,000.00 and go to
$2,000.00. the Mark 4s Start at $1,000.00 and go up to $2,400.00 so I doubt they would have less quality glass than the VX6.

With all of the options on both scopes they are very well priced and high quality.

PS: No to ex military (Wish they did though) A friend of mine has a son that is still in and he buys his dad 2 scopes a year.

J E CUSTOM

I'll second Darrell Hollands ART reticles. I have a Schmidt Bender with this reticle on my long range rifle. Great reticle.

Scopes are one area I'll gladly carry a little extra weight, even on an ultra-light rifle. I have a NF 2.5-10x32 on a 7 lb custom .270 WSM. The glass is good, the turrets are precise and repeatable, and by time that small objective can't transmit enough light it's the end of legal shooting light anyway. I've used that scope to take a pile of marmots out to almost 800 yards.
The only thing I would change would be to go to the 42mm objective. I got my 32 the year before they offered the bigger one, but it works too well to replace it.

Barrelnut summed it up very well. I went with the 50mm because the larger size/weight wasn't much over the 44mm, and I wanted to maximize the optical performance.

And to my eyes the VX6 glass is a nice step up over any VX3 I have ever owned, or any of the same weight and similarly priced Vortex optics.

the conclusion I came to with trying to find the perfect scope for a hunting rifle is that although top tier optics are nice especially shooting at paper, you just don't need them to shoot animals at even long range. On top of that I really just do not want to spend $2k on a scope or attach a boat anchor to my rifle.

I started a thread early in 2015 talking about this and Engineering101 had a great response:

"Optics are good enough when you are confident in what is going to happen when you pull the trigger."

i thought that was a very straight forward common sense way to think about scopes, and realized that although no 'perfect' scope is out there, there are several that are plenty good enough.

Exactly why I went with Horus Vision Falcon. Superb glass, 5-20x50, 30mm steel tube, unsurpassed Horus reticle. Excellent long range riflescope. I have had mine 4 years, I have used S&B, Leupold, US Optics, and others. The only ones close are the S&B and US Optics. The only one that I would give up my Horus Falcon for would be US Optics. Some folks fret over the "one year" warranty. Not to worry, if you EVER have issues, the folks at Horus Vision will take care of the problem, but I have never had any problems at all. The scope is flawless, but, if you are a knob cranker or are afraid of a first focal plane Horus reticle you might be uncomfortable. But that's why there as many great scope manufacturers as there are great beer brewers... Everyone has different tastes!

Good Luck with your!

DocB. please advise

I went over this looking for a scope for my 6.5 saum. I think the Bushnell Elite Tactical LRHS series with more reticle options and an optional 50mm objective would be the perfect hunting scope.

I've been searching for a long time, for that one optic that did what I wanted, would hack how hard I am on things and not cost multiple thousands of dollars. My search ended this year with a Nightforce SHV, ran a 3-10 with MOAR and it was awesome. Personally I'll cut weight some place else so I can run the heavier NF optic. MOAR reticle was outstanding both for long range shooting holding for wind and for picking up elk moving out and get a quick shot placed. The eye box and relief was much better than any of the Vortex I have.

Exactly why I went with Horus Vision Falcon. (snip)
The scope is flawless, but, if you are a knob cranker or are afraid of a first focal plane Horus reticle you might be uncomfortable. But that's why there as many great scope manufacturers as there are great beer brewers... Everyone has different tastes!

I also use and like the Horus Falcon. It's concept of use is quite different from other long range scopes in that there is no knob twiddling other then for setting the zero to align the rifle to the scope for the calculations used. The scope can be moved to a different rifle with quick disconnect mounts if the knob settings are recorded.

To take a shot you determine the range (laser or other) determine or estimate the wind deflection, The coordinates to hold on in mils can be determined with a drop - windage card or using either a ballistics computer or a Kestrel-4500 wind meter w/Horus ballistics software. then set the target on the mil grid coordinates (which cover nearly the entire field of the scope) No knobs need to be touched. Take the shot.

Personally I find a drop - windage card easiest to use and carry and I generate many cards based on air density and the particular bullet and velocity with a ballistics program for various air densities. I only need to carry one card on a given day, rifle, and location. The main advantage is that it's faster and less error prone than cranking knobs on a typical target scope but gives the same accuracy.

An added advantage of a mil-grid reticle is that if you miss and you can see your bullet's impact point (dust puff or vapor trail), then you can note the point of the impact relative to your original point of aim on the mil grid, move that point on the reticle to your target, and take another shot immediately.with no additional calculations and no knob changes. That can be done with a mil-dot scope but not as precisely.

Some long range scopes with Horus Reticles:
Horus Vision Falcon H37 33.2 oz $975
Horus Vision Raptor H59 27.5 oz $725
US Optics ER-25 H37 40. oz $3301

I own a Falcon and a Raptor. The ER25 is just too heavy. (sour grapes).

Still, none are close to being a "perfect" scope" A perfect scope would make every shot a clean kill.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.