Shipping a scope with UPS, has this happened to anyone else?

Cut the lady a break. It is true - you can't ship anything firearm related at a UPS store, has to be a commercial center. Got the info when I sent two once-fired (totally empty harmless) cases to Hornady to have them prep for using with a comparator for bullet seating, Same thing when I had to ship a scope back to the factory for repair. And forgot to mail a bolt for a 10/22 to CTC to have it reworked before I left to fly out visit my sister, so had in my carry-on to mail when I go there. TSA said it was a part of firearm, so I had to take it out. I was lucky enough to have my wife come back and get it so I did not have to toss it. Instead of being upset, I just go with the flow - their rules, dictated by the government, so rather than over the points, I just a full reading so I know for the next time.

It's true that this is an individual franchise decision. It is not UPS corporate policy. Some franchises interpret it differently than others.

UPS policy:
"UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm and firearm mufflers/silencers (also referred to as suppressors) are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)"

None of the franchise stores will ship a firearm, but there is no corporate policy against parts, much less scopes.

Yesterday. Took my shotgun receiver to UPS to ship it to a stock maker. When I asked for $2k insurance the clerk said it would be an extra $100. I promptly said no and went over to Fed EX. The entire cost for shipping and insurance was $42.
The question is: Did UPS not want to ship a firearm related package?

I was informed by the UPS Store in Carson City, NV that the only things they would not ship through the store is the actual firearm, anything else was fair game. I was told that anything that the ATF considered a firearm. so I smiled and handed the guy a box with "machine parts" in it and sent it off. I also have shipped numerous scopes, stocks, other parts already wrapped and sealed in boxes. then I was handed a huge God send... Fed Ex has a distribution center in Carson Cit. they asked if I would like an account so I could ship anything thing I wanted firearms included. so everything I ship is either USPS for small stuff or FedEx for everything else. BTW FedEx pick all my packages up for me at mys hop. I am totally thrilled with that. USPS won't. those commie bastards!

UPS has a corporate policy. If it allows its partners to set different standards, those policies reflect on the corporate parent. If everyone that has problems would document their issues and send a very nice letter explaining the situation to the president of UPS it may cause a change in the UPS corporate policy itself and rewrite how they deal with their franchise stores. Document the store and employee names involved. Show how it's easier to go to USPS. These days you never know the personal bias of an individual corporate culture. But, a smart CEO getting 10-20 letters/emails a month from separate incidents around the country would certainly look into solving the problem.

It may be an exercise in futility, but anything we can do to keep our options open may be worth the effort.

Rather than very nice letters..I go to Fed Ex or DHL. I just read a piece in the paper
about Amazon shipping services? They are building a Mega center here with airport.
Another choice is good for the consumer!

I was informed by the UPS Store in Carson City, NV that the only things they would not ship through the store is the actual firearm, anything else was fair game. I was told that anything that the ATF considered a firearm. so I smiled and handed the guy a box with "machine parts" in it and sent it off. I also have shipped numerous scopes, stocks, other parts already wrapped and sealed in boxes. then I was handed a huge God send... Fed Ex has a distribution center in Carson Cit. they asked if I would like an account so I could ship anything thing I wanted firearms included. so everything I ship is either USPS for small stuff or FedEx for everything else. BTW FedEx pick all my packages up for me at mys hop. I am totally thrilled with that. USPS won't. those commie bastards!

USPS picks up Priority Mail.

I always show up with my packages pre packed. When asked what is in the box I reply "machine parts". Or "cat toys". It's none of anybody's G-D-Business what I'm shipping.

Same thing had to ship one back to Nikon strip mall store said they could not I told the kid behind the counter it was totally harmless even if I beat him with it it's only like 10 oz's. Really ****ed came home looked up the corporate number called to find out if he was pulling my leg they said not from a satellite store. Told them I would never use them again and have not. USPS

UPS is crappy. I have a 30 page thread on their BS. Between not shipping firearm related stuff, damaging equipment, and not fulfilling their insurance policies I will never use them again. Also, I don't give a crap if it's different than their hubs. It still has UPS on their sign. It's all the same to me at that point.

Never had issues with FEDEX, but they are stupid expensive. I normally use USPS.

I've had different UPS have different policies. Some will just take the item without a problem. Others want to know what is in the box, which I think is intrusive. I prefer to buy USPS shipping online and leave at my door for the mailman to take...so much easier.

I live in AZ And had sold a rifle scope on here. I had it with my when I went out of town in case it sold. Well it did and I stopped in to a UPS store in Phoenix at a strip mall because it was convenient since they pack and ship. I had the scope in its box and the clerk said they can't ship rifle parts.

I was pretty confused and ticked off. I made him call his boss and they confirmed they will not ship rifle parts. I said it's basically just a telescope and not dangerous. They shot me down and no budging, I didn't want to make too much of a scene since they were obviously anti gun and didn't want to represent poorly so I stayed calm and left. I wasn't happy since it held the LRH members shipment up from their ridiculous policy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.