Anybody use Cutting Edge Bullet 176gr Copper Raptor?

theodoreh

Hi, Anybody use Cutting Edge Bullet 176gr Copper Raptor? It is a 338 caliber.

Looking for input on big game hunting and how well it does terminally at lower velocity. Not interested in any Lazer bullet report. Would be interested in 7mm and 30 cal copper raptor terminal report too.

Thanks!

From youtube:

Without having shot any, the video shows lots of promise!

:eek:

1706964569721.png

1706964624022.png

Last edited:
I have used a lot of the raptor bullets not that one specifically but I've killed piles of game with them. They works very well. They peel off very consistent and exactly like they show. I shot an axis deer with them once's and the guide while skinning asked how many time I shot it cause he only heard one. Had one big hole in the center and smaller ones radiating out. Worked great for me.

I have used a lot of the raptor bullets not that one specifically but I've killed piles of game with them. They works very well. They peel off very consistent and exactly like they show. I shot an axis deer with them once's and the guide while skinning asked how many time I shot it cause he only heard one. Had one big hole in the center and smaller ones radiating out. Worked great for me.
What caliber and estimated impact velocity?

Very interesting gel video. This gets me wondering what I could do with a 338 WM. Hmm, perhaps I'll look into these more.

Similar thoughts were running through my mind yesterday also. The difference being that I was reconsidering a project from a while back, the .338 WSM. The original thought was a shorter barreled chassis rifle for shooting wild hogs. The .338 WSM loaded with the then lighter bullets from Barnes, 160 gr. TTSX and the 185 gr. TTSX specifically for hunting hogs at slightly longer ranges but still offering efficiency and enough energy to kill at those longer ranges. Testing these bullets in the field proved out the idea with several one-shot kills from 600 yards out to just short of 750 yards. Good enough.;)

The 176 gr. Hammer though should see a slight improvement in the drop and drift but with similar energy figures. This might be worth setting this rifle up again for spring hog hunting!

:)

I'm curious as to what distance this was shot at? Impressive to watch though but looks like it was indoors. A very low G1 for ER projectiles. I hadn't thought ( until now) of trying a bullet so light.....hmmmmm? I'd like to see the accuracy at 1000 if anyone has that! Although....with Duty, freight, exchange rate being Canadian ( yah..I know...sucks to be me) not sure I could afford to try any at $ 2.70+ ea!!!!!!

Last edited:
Very interesting gel video. This gets me wondering what I could do with a 338 WM. Hmm, perhaps I'll look into these more.
View attachment 540316
.338 Win Mag is a very versatile and usable caliber. I really like mine, even though it is a little much for Texas whitetails, it is perfect for elk. I do find that the lighter bullets don't seem to be as accurate as the 215, 225, or 250 gr. bullets. May just be my rifle, but it seems to like the 225 gr. best, with the 250 or 215 gr. accurate within any use for hunting, out to 300 yds.

Hi, Anybody use Cutting Edge Bullet 176gr Copper Raptor? It is a 338 caliber.

Looking for input on big game hunting and how well it does terminally at lower velocity. Not interested in any Lazer bullet report. Would be interested in 7mm and 30 cal copper raptor terminal report too.

Thanks!
Tagging in.

Similar thoughts were running through my mind yesterday also. The difference being that I was reconsidering a project from a while back, the .338 WSM. The original thought was a shorter barreled chassis rifle for shooting wild hogs. The .338 WSM loaded with the then lighter bullets from Barnes, 160 gr. TTSX and the 185 gr. TTSX specifically for hunting hogs at slightly longer ranges but still offering efficiency and enough energy to kill at those longer ranges. Testing these bullets in the field proved out the idea with several one-shot kills from 600 yards out to just short of 750 yards. Good enough.;)

The 176 gr. Hammer though should see a slight improvement in the drop and drift but with similar energy figures. This might be worth setting this rifle up again for spring hog hunting!

:)
My 338 WSM, 21"
223 HH .312 with RL17
225 Makers .250 with RL17

Gday
Theodoreh
I've used a few raptors on all manner of critters & shot a few critters also 😜in a variety of chamberings

The raptor was a improvement on the likes of gpa & pushed the good window of killing velocity impacts to a greater level & in its day was a leader imo

The bigger caliber raptors are better than the smaller ones

The raptors petals are flatter on the whole ( blade like ) & this overall produces better results than the more rounded snail like petals on ceb other lines & some other brands

The petal pattern of raptors go wide fairly quickly which is great for broadside shots but can be found lacking on racking as your left with a rough true solid to do the work & on those is where your preformance drops off but then I've also had those petals cut the arteries on the pelvis area ( sorry spell check won't help me as it's the main arteries that runs down in back legs & I know what it is just can't spell the darn thing , yes I am a terrible speller & poor @ English overall sorry ) or they radiate outwards into liver when the projectile path was nowhere near it so it can cover our backside but one I don't rely on overal

Overall raptors thrive on speed

Watch the low impact velocities stated by any company not just ceb as you will find once velocities drop off you start getting erratic results & killing on them starts to drop off but then some are happy to just have a dead critter for which im not & why I keep on searching for better pills to fill the holes In

meplat shape of the shank is important to watch

It's Pretty good pill overall just understand how it works & see if it fits in with your expectations /situations

A good rule is go lighter than one thinks as it dosent go astray

A velocity impact drop chart @ your range impacts will soon work out if you are impacting with enough speed to give the results your after & only you can decide what level that is

Cheers