Cutting Edge Bullet Kills

I also agree that the SMK may well be the MOST inconsistent of all I've tested. I strongly believe that the angle of impact, on a tangent ogive, makes it more difficult to expand than a secant, all else equal. The SMK jacket is no thicker than a J4, in fact is a thou or two thinner, yet the SMK is more difficult to expand than a Berger........Rich
A gun builder/sales, told me he switched to Hornady BTHP's after the result of SMK's being inconsistent in expansion. He said expansion issues went away after he switched over.

Tank

Tangent ogive and smaller meplat. I have a couple pics on the last page on my thread with the low velocity expansion of the Barnes LRX.

I can't help you with the 270's. The only CE bullets I have shot anything with are the 30 and 338 caliber so I can't comment on the others. I can't understand why they would not shoot in your 338. So far I have been lucky and they have shot in everything I have put them in. I would be glad to share some load info if it might help. I hate to see anybody spend the dollars and not have them work out. I have shot the 252 Max-Agg in my 338-378 wby with good results. That is the only one of the 252's I have tried. But then I went to the 260 grain for a little more bc and it also shot well. Best of luck to you with the 270's. I have a 270 winchester and a couple 270 wby's so I am interested in your report on the 270's.

My 338's are all Hart 1-10 twist except for the remington 700 and Tikka T3. I don't know that your barrel may have something to do with it but that is what mine shoot in.

I used your load for a 250 SMK if I remember right and I tuned them all over the place and no dice, I do think I know what the issue is and it's how my reamer is set up for my 338 RUM's. All my barrels are 1-10 twist Brux on the 338 cals. I'm very confident in loading anything into a 270 WSM that I can figure out a load so we'll see, who knows maybe I'll be forced to post a pic to this thread.

I'm not big on "blood & guts" shots, I have not posted these on the net before.

Here are a few from the Red Stag & Hind I shot with my 375 Terminator, 400 CE leaving at 2920 fps impact distance 775 yards

Hind entry shots the first was a little back & my spotter thought I missed her & was about to tell me not to shoot as I shot her again, another 5 seconds & she would have fallen over.......

006-1.jpg

The damage on side Hind

002-3.jpg

The back of her

003-3.jpg

She moved a little way 20-40 yards so it is a little understandable that there is some bruising....

The Stag just dropped where he stood & slipped down the hill....DRT.

Stag entry wound.

007-1.jpg

On side

012.jpg

Off side with no cutting or manipulation of the wound.......

017.jpg

Given the damage, I lost very little meat.

I think the impact energy has a lot to do with the damage, it was around 2250 fps & 4550 ftlbs :cool:

Who ever has hunted before knows this ia a huge loss of meat, unless you count cutouts for dogs as no loss. Its not the impact energy but the speed doing the damage.

Well I shot a big black bear with CE .375 Cal 330 gr - 50 MTH in 375 H&H on 200 yards. First bullet went through his shoulder blade and exited behind shoulder on the other side. Pencil hole, no expansion.
Bear started running and after about 100 yards, when he showed no signs of slowing down, I shot him again with 300 gr Barnes TSX. He wend down immediately.
I found the mushroomed bullet inside weighting 280 grains.
So you can say I have bad experience with CE bullets expansion. :)
Well, main thing is, the bear is in my freezer.

Here is the picture

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f88/black-bear-hunting-crossbow-154449/

Cutting edge bullets? I will go with the Nosler Trophy Grade 300 WM 190 Grain ABLR'S.

As far as factory goes, you will do no better, IMHO. :) gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.