Anybody running a suppressor?

Down here in New Zealand we have been allowed to have our firearms suppressed for a number of years. I have all of my rim and center fire rifles, bolt and semi autos .22l/r, .22WMR, .223Win. 22.250Rem, 7mm.08Rem, .308Win, .303British, 300WSM, 300WM, 338 Lapour All suppressed with over barreled suppressors and with the bigger calibres it takes away around thirty percent of the rifles recoil which allow for better accuracy not pulling the trigger. One other feature is that animals seemed to be mystified as to what direction the shot came from as the rifle reports seems to get muffled. I shot a Red hind with her spiker standing beside her, The spiker just gave a little leap and kept looking at the hind lying on the ground. He became camp meat as well.

I have absolutely no reason to doubt you, but honestly, I have been drooling over these kind's of posts for years trying to get myself talked into buying one, and have never heard of this problem. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks,
Tod
With gas operated guns it's absolutely correct because of the increased gas volume being forced back through the chamber.

If anyone is waiting for the HPA to pass before they purchase a suppressor, you could be waiting a very, very, very, longgggggg time because it has little to no chance of actually passing. Also, if by some miracle the HPA were to pass, after you've purchased a can and sent your $200 in with your Form 4, the BATF will have to refund everyone's $200, all the way back to anyone who purchased a suppressor after Oct. 22 2015.

I'd be thrilled to get a $600 refund but I'd gladly waive my refund, I believe most others would too, if that means the HPA gets passed.

Yep! Well said.

I got in on this late! All good points. I have a 7STW and put a can on it. Best thing I ever did! I also have several cans and like some earlier said, once you shoot one, you'll never want to shoot without one again! Yes, they add length but you can get Titanium cans and not add much weight at all. I have a guy in Radford,Va. who makes all of mine; T&J Tactical. Love every one of them!
I don't shoot much sub sonic ammo. Under good atmospheric conditions, I haven't needed ear plugs. Once in a while, yes. Hunting, no. Hate the wait and the $200. to the IRS. Hopefully that will end soon. Keep yer fingers crossed!

Con- I can not keep the grand kids in 22 sub sonic ammo. They love the suppressor and the lite reticle. Just kidding. Love to see them that excited about shooting.

I got a chance to use a friend's suppressor on my 300 WM today. I'm thoroughly impressed to say the least, can't believe I never considered one before recently.

I got a chance to use a friend's suppressor on my 300 WM today. I'm thoroughly impressed to say the least, can't believe I never considered one before recently.

This is, generally, the same reaction the majority have the first time they get to shoot something suppressed.

I went from one suppressor to having six in a very short amount of time.

AAC element aside from elite are the good ones as far as I know. These are built to last and durable.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am way late to the party but if you have not decided on your suppressor yet I would say do NOT consider either AAC or SilencerCo........
Both seem to be in a business "situation" that is signaling they are not going to be around much longer.
AAC quality has **** the bed since they were purchased and for some time now the AAC suppressors have had Remington listed as the transfer name, not AAC. So that tells me the namesake AAC is probably going away and IF the products are kept by Remington will be completely under Remington name, quality, etc etec.
SilencerCo bet way way to big on the HPA passage. To the point they are looking for new executive members along with the R&D guy selling off all his assets...So they are either setting up to sell, be acquired or be closed IMO.

Thank you,
THEIS

Well now, I think if you're getting into it for recreation and not for heavy professional use, now may be the exact time to get into a SiCO can. I just bought a Hybrid a steep discount, maybe because of that. I have had my Omega for a couple years and to me it's on par with my friend's Ultra 7. SiCO made and still makes good cans, but it's true that the future looks shaky. That doesn't worry me too much because I don't think I'll ever wear out a Titanium can.

I only read through page 2, and this last page 8, but I've used two TBAC cans for three years now, and a Surefire for almost a year. I prefer them on a bolt gun since the muzzle blast seems to be way under the AR 5.56's I use. Most of the time I don't need hearing protection with the 6.5's, 6.5x47, 260, etc. I use a 338 TBAC on my 300 NM.

That said what I did notice is every cartridge I've ever tested suppressed, shows the ES, and SD cut almost in half! They level out the velocity curve vs. bare barrel, and I've tested that countless times to know it's real. Plus less recoil, although the PRS guys are ditching the cans due to the recoil time being shorter with a muzzle break vs. suppressed which is a slightly longer push, and they can spot their hits better.

I'm considering buying one, never used one before. Anybody here have any opinions to throw out there ? Pro's ? Con's ?
Well ... the BATF waiting period for your can has seriously shortened in the last few years dependent on the type applied for. I have several suppressors. They are quieter but certainly not quiet. They take a serious amount of sting out of magnum cartridges (noise and recoil) and make calmer cartridges extremely pleasant to shoot. This makes target acquisition much easier to retain. Some cans are known to make slight increases in velocity and point of impact once attached. I prefer to use direct threaded cans rather than QD adapters. I've had adapters that do not tighten sufficiently. That slight wiggle of the can to weapon can cause accuracy issues .... especially seen in long range situations. I have a Silencerco HYBRID that I REALLY like. You can use it on any firearm .46 caliber or less including pistols to magnum rifles. You just need the accessories for attaching it to any specific weapon. All in all silencers make shooting any firearm just a little more enjoyable.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.