Anybody running a suppressor?

Yes. You have to purchase the can first. They then record the serial number and enter that on your BATF paperwork and send it in. Pay for the can, include the $200 for the tax stamp, and wait for it to all go through.....

I'm considering buying one, never used one before. Anybody here have any opinions to throw out there ? Pro's ? Con's ?
I called Dakota silencer and ordered a Varminter 3.0 and love it. The con is added length, but the big pro is no hearing protection required. The crack you here is bullet breaking the sound barrier and echoing off surrounding obstacles, which can be loud. And my first time replying so sorry if I messed up

I've found that the sound of the crack in open country very closely resembles the sound of a good solid billiard ball strike. so if you play pool, you kind of get the idea. In the woods it still sounds like a gunshot, but in open ground it's very pleasant.

Is the cost of the suppressor due at time of ordering?
It depends on who you purchase it through but typically, yes. Wait times are down to about 5 months from what I have been hearing from 2 different guys I know that sell them.
Another thing to decide is Trust Or Individual forms. I run with the trust because of the simplicity and versatility of it. It does now require passport photos and fingerprints but you have to do that either way. SilencerCo and Silencer Shop both offer trust forms which IMHO are worth the hundred bucks or so.

I wouldn't overlook a Form 1 can. You can buy tubes and end caps, aluminum, steel, and titanium. With a freeze plug centering tool, drill press and a arbor press you can make a functional can, not the best in the world but at 250 in material and 4 month wait time it is a less expensive way to try it out and get shooting sooner. Especially if you are not putting tons of rounds downrange fast, they can last awhile.
Even if you don't have tools you can ask a machine shop to help you make the baffles, you just have to be present while they are doing it.
Check out silencertalk.com tons of ideas and experience there.

A couple things to keep in mind. After shooting, if you leave it installed, store your gun muzzle down or horizontal. Condensation will build up in the suppressor and run down the barrel. Second, if you are running an AR do yourself a huge favor and get an adjustable gas block. Your brass will be much cleaner and recoil and gas blowback is reduced a lot.

Five months,six months that is what they tell you. Take it from someone who just got his about a month ago. Had to wait 14 months. It even took them a month to mail it.

I'm considering buying one, never used one before. Anybody here have any opinions to throw out there ? Pro's ? Con's ?
In general, direct thread suppressors can be more accurate than quick connect. Silencer Co has an article on their website that discusses this. Quick connects all have very slight movement. You may also have to tune your loads. My favorite 308 rifle/load combo went from an average 0.33" group to a 2" group with my AAC can. My 300 Blackout didn't have much of a change.

Last year I traded some work (dry ice blasting) for suppressors from Silencerco here in Utah. I did not have suppressors on my radar, but the novelty of shooting suppressed sounded like fun. I traded for two 22 caliber cans and 1 30 caliber can. I love all 3, but the 30 caliber can is the most impressive. Last year I shot an elk and a Desert Bighorn Sheep with a suppressed 6.5 Creedmoor. Both shots were about 200 yards and in both instances other animals in the herd were not aware of anything. I believe I could have emptied my clip without disturbing them. My son has used the suppressor on his 300 win mag and the recoil reduction is significant I like the fact that my ears aren't ringing after the shot!

I didn't know what I was missing, they are totally worth the wait and the cost. Once you have shot suppressed you will never want to go back...

"You may also have to tune your loads. My favorite 308 rifle/load combo went from an average 0.33" group to a 2" group with my AAC can."

This was my experience with my bolt action varmint guns. Plus dramatic barrel carbon build up compared to unsuppressed. Most effective with sub-sonic rimfire rifles for me.

Chuck

In general, direct thread suppressors can be more accurate than quick connect. Silencer Co has an article on their website that discusses this. Quick connects all have very slight movement. You may also have to tune your loads. My favorite 308 rifle/load combo went from an average 0.33" group to a 2" group with my AAC can. My 300 Blackout didn't have much of a change.

Ray at TBAC has a video somewhere of shooting a rifle with their 30CB mount. Off/on/shoot/off/on/shoot/off/on/shoot. POI didn't change. TBAC has their schidt together!

It depends on who you purchase it through but typically, yes. Wait times are down to about 5 months from what I have been hearing from 2 different guys I know that sell them.
Another thing to decide is Trust Or Individual forms. I run with the trust because of the simplicity and versatility of it. It does now require passport photos and fingerprints but you have to do that either way. SilencerCo and Silencer Shop both offer trust forms which IMHO are worth the hundred bucks or so.

Waits are down to about 5 months if you purchase as individual. Trusts are still taking longer.

I use JET - Z suppressors on a 300 WM and a 270 Winchester.
They transform any rifles, especially cannons such as mine.
No hearing protection required, no ****ing off everyone for miles around etc.
This, of course, equates to being more popular with land owners etc, which equals more opportunities.
I'm in the UK, and virtually everyone uses one.
Aside from being generally desirable, the health and safety argument is very valid.
Also, accuracy is normal enhanced.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.