Anybody hunting or shooting with their wife/girlfriend?

My wife can spot game WAY faster than I can and loves elk meat. It's more of a necessity that we kill elk. She also loves salmon and steelhead. She does not love the cold and getting up early though, so I'll start the day solo. Then around noon, she'll roll around and out-fish me and find all the game.

My best friend loves the outdoors and it was a hoot to teach her to fly fish. Her first steelhead was a 32 inch wild male, she released. More than a little excited playing the fish. Now she is learning th shoot and care for a handgun. She will go to the range and shoot rifles, but does not want to kill anything. That is fine, because a grandson or friend fills that spot. I am a blessed man.

Looks like hunter67 is in that category too.

My wife enjoys shooting pistols and her AR15, but has no interest in hunting for herself. However, she enjoys coming along and participating with me on all my hunts, and was with me when I took my first buck, my first elk, and my first antelope (I started hunting only a few years ago).

Screenshot_20190129-095042_Gallery.jpg
View attachment 120038I had to quit hunting with my wife 8 years ago because she shoots bigger deer than me. I have since beat her giant first buck but don't want her to catch back up and injure my ego again.

I have taken my wife out hunting different game a few times, she wasn't really into it - meaning she was ok to be there and we enjoyed hanging out together, but she wasn't wanting to take it serious enough to wake up early and hike in, or was more interested in documenting the experience on Instagram instead of looking for game...LOL. We decided it was OK to have separate hobbies. I haven't tried to get her into long range shooting - that will be my next goal. We'll see how it goes. How many of you out there are hunting with a significant other? What has your experience been with it?
I am lucky, my girlfriend wants to do all the hunting and fishing with me. However, it did not start out that way. She is really into the outdoors. So, we will do10-12 mile hikes in the mountains. See all kinds of animals. She has gotten more interested as time passes. She now wants her own Bow and wants to learn to shoot with me. That is great, we get to spend more time enjoying an event and each other. My recommendation would be, take her shooting, not long range shooting. Just shooting. maybe start off with pistol, she can see the results, instant gratification. Start slow and if she is interested work up to long guns and possibly long range. The same with the hunting, if she does not want to hunt, take her along to document the hunt. Photograph, video, make her your partner, get her involved let her experience the event her way. you can still have a great time together doing that.

I hunt with my wife some. Problem at our lease is opening weekend. All the young guys (20s) bring their girlfriends to camp which has caused me to not attend opening weekend the last few years. More like a frat party than a hunting party.

My first wife didn't like hunting or anything that had guns involved,
How she kept this from me while we were dating I have no idea. 13 years of hell and two kids later she cheated and I got rid of that problem. I made up my mind then that any woman I dated that ever complained the first bit would be gone at the first negative word . I went through women like cash at Walmart until I met the wife I have now. She had never shot a firearm or been hunting, that has all changed she shoots every thing rifles,shotguns,archery and fishes too!
She is in my back pocket everywhere I go and I absolutely love having her there . My best friend she is . If I can only get her to clean everything she kills that would be Awesome!

You are a very lucky man!

My wife wants nothing to do with my firearms and hunting so before I got married I told her November hunting with my family comes first everything else second and she understood now my nine-year-old daughter wants to hunt so we have been practicing with 22's outside an indoor ranges and we're going to work up to a bigger caliber for the summer I think I get more joy from that and then actually pulling the trigger

My wife wants nothing to do with taking the life of a game animal. She's ok with me doing it, but when I obsess over it ,like during the rut she just rolls her eyes. Over the years she became quite fond of venison, and now questions me when I share the harvest with others. I got her into pistol shooting and archery target shooting. Works out that those activities we can do in the dead of winter or middle of summer. One problem though. She now owns expensive archery equipment and a bunch of nice sidearms. Oh well , money well invested. My daughter is also involved with it and a very accomplished hunter in her own. At 18 she's taken numerous deer,hogs,smallgame and an alligator. I am a lucky man.

I have taken my wife out hunting different game a few times, she wasn't really into it - meaning she was ok to be there and we enjoyed hanging out together, but she wasn't wanting to take it serious enough to wake up early and hike in, or was more interested in documenting the experience on Instagram instead of looking for game...LOL. We decided it was OK to have separate hobbies. I haven't tried to get her into long range shooting - that will be my next goal. We'll see how it goes. How many of you out there are hunting with a significant other? What has your experience been with it?
My wife is all into it. I took her on a hog hunt several years ago. It was like throwing gas on a fire. Really boosted her confidence in taking game. Shot her first deer the same year, and second deer five minutes later. She is addicted. Has since started shooting recurve for bow season.

--
I hunt with my wife all the time..she really enjoys hunting pronghorn and has made some incredible shots.. has also taken deer and elk while hunting with me..We/I dont always hunt with her but opening weekends for antelope, elk are usually ones we do together.. in fact for pronghorn we take our little RPOD trailer ..set up camp and spend 4-5 days at it.. great alone time from the world and kids..one of our favorites hunts of the year..

I've taken my GF out whitetail hunting several times. She's plenty effective with her .357 or the Ruger .44 lever action she likes so much - clearly within the effective ranges of them. She's all about getting the meat processed, packaged and in the freezer at the end of the day too. Not afraid to get a little messy. Sometimes I think she's a rare woman. True Tennessee country girl...

My wife is my favorite hunting, fishing, boating, outdoors and indoors partner. We got together 15 years ago and while she had done some shooting in the past, she has really taken to all the other activities. The best part of it is that she's in great shape and has no problems with all the work that goes into hunting once an animal is down. I do make it easier on her by making sure she's got all she needs to keep warm and interested, and literally only has to pack an off we go. And yes, she is much better at LR Shooting than I am.

My wife came from a family of hunters and trappers so wild meat was a large part of her life long before I arrived on the scene. Still, she is a girly girl and quite petite so she was never encouraged to hunt herself. She did have a snare line for rabbits though. We married young and moved west after university and I got into hunting in a big way. She was encouraging but more excited about me being successful than trying herself. The turning point came when she realized the only animals I was interested in bringing home were old, tough and sometimes smelly. If she wanted meat that was tender, fat and sweet she would have to shoot it herself. I made up a rifle that fit her and she easily took to shooting it. Women seem to have no expectations when learning to shoot so they take instructions well and aren't worried about their initial performance. Consequently, they become better shots than their husbands. She never did achieve the same level of passion for hunting as me but we went on many good and successful hunts together and since we retired we have done more. The biggest boost in our later years was buying quads. She loves going out on her quad, locally after deer, and in the north country after moose.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.