Anybody compare Hammer Hunter to CEB Maximus to Hornady CX, etc?

nksmfamjp

I'm looking at

CEB MTH 175gr
CEB Maximus 165gr
Hammer Hunter 166gr

i might order 2 different ones….would hate to buy all 3!

So, how does CEB compare/contrast to Hammer?

I had to make the same decision in 6.5mm, and afterwards I would be hard pressed to choose the MTH over the Lazer. I only ran the MTH and not the Maximus though.

As often as I say CE and Hammer are very similar, IMO you're still looking at two different things. HHs have the parabolic bands and engrave with much less pressure and run faster, seemingly without case capacity issues because they work so well with faster than typical powders. The CEs work in a narrow space of the drive band being past the neck and short of engaging the lands, more like how the AH engraves on the first band. CE gives you less COL to work with and seems to run shorter COLs into the case (in my two uses at least, survey size of 1). AH are entirely COL-agnostic that I've been able to tell, and work great in anything magazine length limited. The CEs shine in the single feed versions with the band set further back to maximize case capacity. CE 140 Lazer single feeds are all I'll use in my 26 Nosler.

All that said, I'd shoot any/all of those and not think twice about it. I'd expect all three to work about the same.

Never used a maximus. The Hornady GMX was the only copper where I had a failure to expand. Never an issue with Barnes or Hammer

What Quiet Texan said I'm seeing in my 338 Edge. The gun came with 252 MTH so I tried them . Really like them, but that band definitely hamstrings you on seating depth. But, I can't say as it has really mattered, they are very accurate in this gun, but I can't test it at different seating depths to really know either. I have about 30 thou to play with, or I'm jammed. Just received my order of 267 HHT's to try , we'll see how they work out.

I don't think the Maximus is the proper bullet to compare to the Hammer or GMX or CX bullets. The MTH would be a closer comparison.

The Lazer line is my preference so far in the CE lineup. They have been stupid easy to tune and there will be no comparison when it comes to BC, especially against the Hammer bullets.

I don't think the Maximus is the proper bullet to compare to the Hammer or GMX or CX bullets. The MTH would be a closer comparison.

The Lazer line is my preference so far in the CE lineup. They have been stupid easy to tune and there will be no comparison when it comes to BC, especially against the Hammer bullets.
Have you done any killing with them yet?

What Quiet Texan said I'm seeing in my 338 Edge. The gun came with 252 MTH so I tried them . Really like them, but that band definitely hamstrings you on seating depth. But, I can't say as it has really mattered, they are very accurate in this gun, but I can't test it at different seating depths to really know either. I have about 30 thou to play with, or I'm jammed. Just received my order of 267 HHT's to try , we'll see how they work out.
Comparing the design of a CEB to more conventional designs with regard to seating depth isn't apples to apples. The band may seem to remove options, but in practice it helps by indicating the optimal performance range. So easy to tune.