Has anybody used Hammer bullets

fishnfrank

Hey y'all, just wanted to check and see if any of you have had any experience with Hammer Bullets. Saw an advertisement for them and went to their website. Very similar to the Barnes TSX, solid copper, rounded grooves, hollow point, but with a lot better BC. I'm currently deployed for 4 months so I'm just dreaming of hunting and college football. Thanks

Last edited:
Hey y'all, just wanted to check and see if any of you have had any experience with Hammer Bullets. Saw an advertisement for them and went to their website. Very similar to the Barnes TSX, solid copper, rounded grooves, hollow point, but with a lot better BC. I'm currently deployed for 4 months so I'm just dreaming of hunting and college football. Thanks

Most of the people that have used them are my friends and family. We just launched our web site about 2 weeks ago. So unfortunately there may not be a bunch of feed back to your question.

Let me know when you are getting back from your deployment and we will see what we can do for you. Thank you for your service.

Steve

I tried the 6.5mm in a rifle with a new barrel at 100 yards after shooting a ladder at 300. So far I have not been able to get two bullets to even get close to each other. Here's what happened while I was trying different primers. The four digit numbers are the velocities with an Oehler 33.
0f92affb-0236-4677-8191-8fd62f548ad9_zpsran2zbgz.jpg

002_zpsgfqunfad.jpg

5fa4bfd7-67e3-4908-b891-d01bb072632a_zpsif2w2uc4.jpg

Most of the people that have used them are my friends and family. We just launched our web site about 2 weeks ago. So unfortunately there may not be a bunch of feed back to your question.

Let me know when you are getting back from your deployment and we will see what we can do for you. Thank you for your service.

Steve

Steve, Thank you. I have a 300 RUM that I have slowly been working on for years. My goal has been to extend my hunting range a lot further than I am shooting now. I will talk when I get back, I'd love to try them out. Your BC's seem to look pretty good and I like what I see when I enter it into my software. Thanks.

I tried the 6.5mm in a rifle with a new barrel at 100 yards after shooting a ladder at 300. So far I have not been able to get two bullets to even get close to each other. Here's what happened while I was trying different primers. The four digit numbers are the velocities with an Oehler 33.
0f92affb-0236-4677-8191-8fd62f548ad9_zpsran2zbgz.jpg

002_zpsgfqunfad.jpg

5fa4bfd7-67e3-4908-b891-d01bb072632a_zpsif2w2uc4.jpg

I tried to tell you in private messages how to do load development. You need to load a higher load density powder. Shoot for velocity. Then load and shoot for group. The pic that you posted are the same pics you posted on 24 hr campfire that you shot in a quasi latte test. If you would like, send your rifle to us and we will develop a load for it and send it back with ammunition. You said on 24hr that you were shooting at 300 yards not 100. I would love to help you, but you will have to listen.

Steve

I tried to tell you in private messages how to do load development. You need to load a higher load density powder. Shoot for velocity. Then load and shoot for group. The pic that you posted are the same pics you posted on 24 hr campfire that you shot in a quasi latte test. If you would like, send your rifle to us and we will develop a load for it and send it back with ammunition. You said on 24hr that you were shooting at 300 yards not 100. I would love to help you, but you will have to listen.

Steve

Is Retumbo or RL33 slow enough for you? You can't get "a higher load density powder" than compressed. They produced patterns not groups. Every bullet/powder combination I tried was run to max at on 300 yard target. Your 125 grainer did better with H4831 than any other bullet/powder combo. I always run things up to the max and look for a potential accuracy node. From there I check at 100 yards for the best primer and overall length. I tried five different loads from 62.0 to 64.0 varying them by .5 grains. All were about 1 3/4" to 2 1/2". That is unacceptable by almost anyone at 100 yards.

What would your company charge to develop a load? How long would it take and how many rounds would you need to accomplish the task?

Is Retumbo or RL33 slow enough for you? You can't get "a higher load density powder" than compressed. They produced patterns not groups. Every bullet/powder combination I tried was run to max at on 300 yard target. Your 125 grainer did better with H4831 than any other bullet/powder combo. I always run things up to the max and look for a potential accuracy node. From there I check at 100 yards for the best primer and overall length. I tried five different loads from 62.0 to 64.0 varying them by .5 grains. All were about 1 3/4" to 2 1/2". That is unacceptable by almost anyone at 100 yards.

What would your company charge to develop a load? How long would it take and how many rounds would you need to accomplish the task?
You should make a trip out to MT and we will just go shoot together.:)

Steve

Wildcater,

I would still like to know what the parent cartridge is for your 6.5.

Back when Brian and I formed our company the business plan was to sell custom rifles and do custom reloading. Then things happened and we started the bullet manufacturing and the other stuff went on the back burner. We were just talking the other day about pursuing the custom reloading now that we have the bullets on the go. So maybe we should talk more seriously about it again.

Steve

Had a great phone conversation with Wildcater and I think we may have figured out what is going on with his rifle.

He had an aftermarket fluting job done to a light weight barrel. I have a distinct feeling that may have caused some dimension irregularities in his bore. This would explain the strange velocity readings and the inability to get a good group. Not only with our Hammer Bullets, but every bullet he has tried.

It is possible that there is some fouling issues in the new barrel but I am banking on the fluting job causing problems. He also has another rifle that Christianson turned down and carbon wrapped that has accuracy issues. Same situation, remove barrel material from the original contour and it changes the molecular stress in the steel and you wind up with an irregular bore.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.