Any thoughts on specking out a chamber for accuracy??

NorthernSniper

Anybody have any advice on specking out the chamber for my 300WSM rebarrel project? I plan on using 200gr Accubonds which should touch the lands at max OAL, this should give me max case capacity and still allow feeding from the mag. would it be better and a whole lot cheaper to forget specking this out my self and just rent a reamer from an excellent smith? Thanks for any help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

the skill of the person using the reamer will probably have a whole bunch more to do with the accuracy than any specs you come up with for it.

generally speaking, most like to use something along the lines of minimum sammi dimensions for a chamber reamer.also, generally speaking, most smiths won't rent their reamers out.

Dave Kiff would be able to help you with a custom reamer if that is what you are looking for. If you are looking for a minimum Sammi reamer most long range smiths will have a reamer for the 300 WSM. I would send a dummy round with a 200g Accubond bullet seated .050 shorter than you mag so it will work in your Mag and you have some room to work with seating depth + or - .020 form the lands.

You have two possible solutions. First send the gun to Pac Nor with a dummy round and they will chamber the rifle to the seating depth to the dummy round. Second, send three dummy rounds to Pacific Precision and ask a that a reamer be made to those specs.

Asking a custom gunsmith to borrow his reamer is about the same as asking him to borrow his wife. Although, I have known a custom gunsmith that would give you his wife as long as you took her bills with her.

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.